I tried to go cheap, but never again!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I tried to go cheap, but never again!

Post by mike_honcho » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am

Oh man I tried to save some money and buy a cheaper rod but now my eyes are open. I just received my rod today (Quantum Superlite) and now I know why not to go cheap. Immediately I noticed the wind check was not even seated properly and there was a few chips in the epoxy. Additionaly, the inconsistent thickness throughout the length of the rod. There was also epoxy on the inside of the guides. So I'm sending it back and getting the rod I was originally going to get. Phenix Ultra MBX

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: I tried to go cheap, but never again!

Post by BB144 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:19 pm

I've even found it's tough to go cheaper even when the rods are built decently. It's just not the same as fishing a premium rod.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:46 pm

BB144 wrote:I've even found it's tough to go cheaper even when the rods are built decently. It's just not the same as fishing a premium rod.
Amen! I grew up fishing junk. I think a lot of us did. I remember my first "high end" rod, a St Croix Premier a number of years ago. I remember how light and sensitive it was. I still have it and from time to time, I'll pick it up. It reminds me how educated my hands have become and in turn how empty my wallet has become. I can't go back. I hear all this stuff about the best $100 rod out now and so on. I'm glad these guys can be happy with that stuff. I can't do it anymore though. I was a St Croix guy from that first Premier, was blown away by my first Avid, then my first LTB, then Legend Elite. Now I have a rack full of Dobyns rods and am blown away every time I pick up a DX. Man I hope Gary doesn't release something above the Extreme or I will be sleeping in the garage
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:15 pm

You'd be surprised how many not so cheap rods have the same problems. Being a rod builder, I probably notice it a little more. I bet I saw 3 different brands at Bass Pro today that had rods over $150 that had epoxy on the inside of guide inserts. And, I wasn't really looking.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I've seen a GLX rod with epoxy covered inside two line guides. I tried to get them to sell it to me for one Ben Franklin, but they still wouldn't. :big grin: They said only fifty bucks off.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:23 pm

flywatersmallie wrote:
BB144 wrote:I've even found it's tough to go cheaper even when the rods are built decently. It's just not the same as fishing a premium rod.
Amen! I grew up fishing junk. I think a lot of us did. I remember my first "high end" rod, a St Croix Premier a number of years ago. I remember how light and sensitive it was. I still have it and from time to time, I'll pick it up. It reminds me how educated my hands have become and in turn how empty my wallet has become. I can't go back. I hear all this stuff about the best $100 rod out now and so on. I'm glad these guys can be happy with that stuff. I can't do it anymore though. I was a St Croix guy from that first Premier, was blown away by my first Avid, then my first LTB, then Legend Elite. Now I have a rack full of Dobyns rods and am blown away every time I pick up a DX. Man I hope Gary doesn't release something above the Extreme or I will be sleeping in the garage
I am just worried that he may come out with Cranking DXs! If that happens, at least you have a garage, my butt would be sleeping on the streets with a Bazooka Tube full of rods. :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Nothing wrong with going cheap. Two factors depends on how cheap you're willing to go and you can't compare apples and oranges. Let's say you bought a $50 bps reel you can't really compare it to a higher end reel or expect it to be as smooth. Thus brings us to craftsmanship of a $50 rod. My cheapest setup I have right now is a citrix reel with a vegeance rod and im perfectly happy with this as my cranking setup. :big grin:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:04 am

damian_megabass wrote:Nothing wrong with going cheap. Two factors depends on how cheap you're willing to go and you can't compare apples and oranges. Let's say you bought a $50 bps reel you can't really compare it to a higher end reel or expect it to be as smooth. Thus brings us to craftsmanship of a $50 rod. My cheapest setup I have right now is a citrix reel with a vegeance rod and im perfectly happy with this as my cranking setup. :big grin:
I've used Megabass and Evergreen, still have my favorites in regular rotation. But for a couple of reasons I checked out the Abu Vendettas and found them to be quite capable. Based upon my positive experiences and the opportunity to field test a Veritas for a season, I picked up a few of the Veritas line when they became available.
Next came the Verdict and I purchased a couple of those when they became available. While they aren't on the same aesthetic level they, they are on a performance level I find acceptable.
There is a place for less expensive tackle.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 am

There's cheap and there's inexpensive.

You can find rods that are inexpensive that look and perform nicely. $100 seems to be the price point. With that, I find it advisable to handle and examine any rod before purchase. I've seen some pretty dramatic difference in rod QA comparing identical models in the store (inexpensive models). Ordering online doesn't give you the option of getting the "pick of the litter". :lol:

With that being said, you're more likely to find better QA on the more expensive rods...there are always exceptions to that too. 8-[

I have a few inexpensive rods that do not have the high end components found on the expensive rods, but are attractive, nicely finished and perform to expectation.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the Quantum.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:16 am

the superlight is a great rod... just sayin
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:03 am

After trying 2 G Loomis GLX's after wondering for years if I would be wowwed much like when I stepped up to Curado B's from Abu Ambassadeurs, I'm sad to say that vs. my other $100-$150's rods I've been very disappointed.

I just can't justify spending $400 on a rod when I can get a rod that meets my needs and the high end reel that I want.

I admit that I don't fish a lot of bottom contact setups, but when I do, I fish them on braid. From a sensitivity standpoint once you use braid it doesn't matter what the rod is made of.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 am

As for the "cheap" rods, I just received by Veritas (6'6" Med action) for fishing my little part of a pond. I can say that the reel seat threads were not sharp, reel fits well into the seat (Fuego with a little bit on tape to prevent scratches), guides had no excess epoxy on them and they were straight. is this rod equal to my steez, no, but I have had it for 4 days and I already have racked up on 20+ bass and a huge crappie (2 1/2 lb white one). I can say right now I will be adding more of these rods because even though they only cost 100 bucks, they fish much like a 200 to 250 dollar rod (or at least to me).

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 am

Well, my thinking was that this rod retailed for $200.00 + when it first came out so it should be a good rod. I have Kistler Argon rods that you can now buy for $100.00 and I paid $220.00 when they came out. I really like the Argons and thought it might be a similar situation with the Superlite. I'm concerned about the quality of the Superlite if it showed up on my door step with multiple flaws. Ya know my wife told me to just get the more expensive rod, I should have listened to her. :doh:

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:01 am

It's hard to go back once you have used premium gear.
I'm a cheap bastid, but love to find a quality rod or reel on clearance or big sale. For example the Airrus Co-Matrix 457's I bought for $75 new, and a CU50E for $156 NIB. I haunt fishing shows for new stuff I didn't know I couldn't do without, and probably spend all I save on other things. :lol: I do support the local tackle stores, making a point to drop in regularly and buy something, cause the little guys are endangered species. I also support our TT sponsors.
Hmm....no wonder I have so much tackle. :-k
TB

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am

Going cheap isn't a bad thing when sensitivity isn't too important.

Cheap to me is a Shimano Crucial or St Croix Avid though 8-[
although I do own some cheaper rods than that.

Also though, on the other end of the spectrum, I think once you get to that $250 retail range of rod, you don't get much more after that, for the price.

I'll take my $230-250 retail priced rods, that I get for ALOT less! :big grin: