slightly crooked rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Wishing2BFishing
Angler
Angler

slightly crooked rods

Post by Wishing2BFishing » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:32 pm

I have been "eyeing up" some of my rods and notice a slight bend near the tip. Is this just my perception? Is this because some of the guides are not straight? Is it because the rods were sold this way and I did not notice this? Or is this because I left my line w/ tension on the rod during the season and it caused the rod to warp? Any thoughts . . .

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: slightly crooked rods

Post by robertrinaustin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Because of the way rod blanks are constructed, it's nearly impossible to build a straight blank. Also, with today's modern resins used to make rods, they should not take a set from keeping your line tight.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm

A straight rod blank is actually not very common.

I know some builders that don't want a straight rod blank. One with a gentle curve is much more desireable to them as it has a defined characteristic that can be worked with.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Wishing2BFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by Wishing2BFishing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm

interesting . . . I did not know that curved blanks were the norm. Now I am eyeing up all my rods. It seems about half have a slight curve near the tip.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Wishing2BFishing wrote:interesting . . . I did not know that curved blanks were the norm. Now I am eyeing up all my rods. It seems about half have a slight curve near the tip.
I bet they all have a curve. It's just most rod companies build their rods in such a way as to hide the "curve".

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 pm

like they said above, most all blanks have some curve to them. however, i have had more than one builder tell me they wouldn't build on certain blanks because the blanks had too many bends in them and they couldn't get any straight enough to build on.

i personally think if you are going the custom route, st. croix and rogue have some of the "straightest" that i have had built. i have had them built on loomis, st. croix, graphite usa, shikari, ATC, rogue, seeker and a few others and those two were typically the straightest.

the custom builders can add some good input to this post.