St Croix Triumph rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St Croix Triumph rods

Post by bassdawg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:51 pm

For only $80 this seems to be a half deccent rod for the money so does anyone have any of these rods an what do you think ? Thanks for your input .

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: St Croix Triumph rods

Post by Stasher1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:10 pm

I have a two-piece 6'6" MF spinning rod that rides around in the back of my car/truck for those times when I stumble upon a nice little body of water and wonder if there are any decent fish in there. :lol: I had it paired with a Pflueger President XT and some 20# Power Pro and it was a decent (if slightly heavy) combo that could handle the abuse and temperature extremes of riding in a trunk in GA, in the summer. The rod is fairly sensitive (same blank as a Mojo or Premier), but definitely benefits from braid.

Overall, not a bad rod for the price. There are definitely better rods out there, but it will get the job done.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:19 pm

I just traded in a 6' L Triumph that I had been using for trout for the past two years. I had no complaints about the rod, I just wanted something a little nicer and a little longer. Overall, the rod was very solid. But with all the new rods around the $100 mark, I'd look around and see if you find something you like more.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 pm

I bought two 6' L for my sons but I've used them a little here and there. They are definitely decent rods when you take price into consideration. Like Stasher1 said, same blank as the Premier but built in Mexico so the savings are passed on to you. I personally have a little more expensive taste but I would recommend it just because it's a Croix. IMO St. Croix offers the most bang for your buck with their lower tier rods.

bassdawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassdawg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 am

Hey thanks for all the input now i have to decide between the Triumph for $70 or the Abu Vendetta for $80 .

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:03 am

It's always nice if you have a place nearby that carries both, nothing like having the two in front of you for some hands-on. How far are you from the big Cabela's?

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:01 am

bassdawg wrote:Hey thanks for all the input now i have to decide between the Triumph for $70 or the Abu Vendetta for $80 .
check the warranty also before you decide. I have a Triumph muskie rod and so far no problem w/ that rod.

pchung3009
Angler
Angler

Post by pchung3009 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:15 am

I have a 6'6" M Triumph I load with 15lb PP and 6lb Mono (2 spools) on a 2500 Symetre. It's my river wading combo and also my skipping senkos/small cranks combo as well. It has served me well for over 3 seasons and have not run into a problem with it. Sensitive enough for my presentations and at a good budget.

After three years of pretty moderate use, the cork is still in great shape and no issues with the blank. The aluminum oxide guides are still in pretty good shape, but some of the black paint has worn down due to the braid usage, however, I just cleaned the rod last week and using a swab to check for nicks and everything checked out good.

I would recommend the Triumph at that price point, but I think there are a lot of pretty good sticks at that range. Not sure what the warranty on the Abu is, I think 1 year, but the Triumph has a 5-year program.

I actually would spend a little bit more and look into the $100 range. I have heard good things about the Shimano Compre and it comes with a Lifetime warranty.

I also saw TFO's Loomis Rods for $100, but not too sure about the warranty on that stick. I think the market is flooded with products at that range so you have a pretty tough decision.