Fishing with the B-Team is pretty Good!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fishing with the B-Team is pretty Good!

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:37 am

This winter I decided to leave 5 rods at my Dad's place in Florida. I selected rods that I infrequently used that met the list of conditions I would face. Most all of these rods are the value plays in the $70 to $200 retail space that I'd accumulated over the years. I fished the rods with relatively decent catching success for a week in early March.

As I look back on the week, the rods worked out great. I don't think for a minute that I would have caught more if I were fishing my normal rods that retail for 200 to 300% more money. As I thought about what I like about the A team rods vs. those I have in Florida it comes down to length and action more so then sensitivity. Said another way, the rods in Florida are sensitive enough to get the job done. In fact, one I come away thinking is as sensitive as any rod I own regardless of cost.

I've never felt that money spent translated to performance on the water but the week in Florida reminded me of this truth. Money spent may translate to a rod you want to hold more.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fishing with the B-Team is pretty Good!

Post by falcon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I love my customs and T7s but i equally like my falcon bucoo. It always gets the job done and i never felt it caused me to do poorly on the water.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:50 pm

I'm interested...What rods were they?

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:46 pm

I felt the same way when I sent my B Team rods down to my place in FLA so I didn't have to fly with the A Team any more.
A year later I was missing my top of the line rods catching multiple 6#+ fish with the B Team while my A Team was designated to fish for the smaller fish up in the North East.
Now I ship them back and forth.....
MegabassUSA.com

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Come on, David! You can't leave us hanging like this!

I'm pretty sure I know at least one of the rods, but you got to give us the lowdown.

v3n0m
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by v3n0m » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 pm

bassbandit wrote:Come on, David! You can't leave us hanging like this!

I'm pretty sure I know at least one of the rods, but you got to give us the lowdown.
I agree!!!!!! what's the deal! :lol:
~>V{e}N{o}M<~

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:18 pm

vArm wrote:I felt the same way when I sent my B Team rods down to my place in FLA so I didn't have to fly with the A Team any more.
A year later I was missing my top of the line rods catching multiple 6#+ fish with the B Team while my A Team was designated to fish for the smaller fish up in the North East.
Now I ship them back and forth.....
This is the real issue is that my nice rods at home get assigned to the 2lb dinks :(

Guys- the selection of rods is a multi-brand collection collected but not sold over a 15 year period. Meaning, I may have sold a sibling to a given rod but kept one in the series because it did something I liked. The oldest rod is a BPS Pro Qualifier spinning rod that is about 13 years old. From there we go to several Shimano Crucials, an Airrus Co-Matrix and a Quantum Biffle Worm/jig rod. I did not send my lone Powell to Florida but had I would have said the same about it as it has served me well many times to Florida.

I'm really not trying to make any statement about brands here but rather that as a fisherman many solid options exist that don't cost +300. That I elect to own a set of +300 rods it personal prefernece and about ergonomics and brand as much as sensitivity.