Rod for Paddletails

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod for Paddletails

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:45 am

Got onto a bunch of fish on the reaction innovations Skinny dipper last week; fishing over hydrilla. The first morning I missed what I know was a +5lb fish. The second day I switched that bait over to a soft tipped Heavy power rod and went on to catch all of my big fish of the week on that rod. This got me to thinking about what I should be throwing these baits on ongoing.

My question is what power and action rod do you use. Models are OK but list why you like the rod. I'm thinking the skinny dipper and equivalent baits are somewhat like a senko in that they are most effective around and over vegitation. If your fishing them in open water, the heavy power might not matter so mention if you will what conditions you are fishing these baits.

many thanks

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod for Paddletails

Post by Fat-G » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:51 am

7'3+, has to be long to horse them out of cover

Stiff, heavy powered rod

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:03 pm

Fat-G wrote:7'3+, has to be long to horse them out of cover

Stiff, heavy powered rod
Any tip on the rod?

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:06 pm

david, are you texas-rigging the skinny dipper with a bullet weight or using it on a jighead with an open hook?

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Fat-G wrote:7'3+, has to be long to horse them out of cover

Stiff, heavy powered rod
Any tip on the rod?
Yep! You'll want to have a little bit of tip for working the lure. But you'll want a lot of backbone too. ;)

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm

21farms wrote:david, are you texas-rigging the skinny dipper with a bullet weight or using it on a jighead with an open hook?
Texas rigging with 1/16oz bullet weight. I could cast this a mile with either the magheavy xstiff rod or the heavy rod with a tip.

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 pm

This is from TW about the Powell paddletail rod "The rod’s mid section is designed to load up quickly, allowing for solid hooksets and enough power to get fish out of thick structure, but what really sets the Powell Max Paddle Tail Rod apart, is the tip section. Painstakingly tested and refined, it’s fast, but at the same time, soft enough to make pin-point casts to isolated targets."
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powell_M ... -PMPT.html

Also checkout that link and watch the product video it's very informative about what a paddletail rod should do. Hope this helps.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I like the Dobyns 734 c for Skinny Dipper paddletail baits. The 7'3" length is good for launching the baits. The tip is soft enough that it makes it easy to fling the bait where you want it to go and enough backbone to get the fish out of the milfoil, grass, etc.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

I'd suggest a fast action, heavy power rod for the 'dippers & other similar sized/weight baits. I've had the better results with the fast action vs the xfast action rods.

You want a rod with some tip (flex) to it. IMO, makes it easier for the fish to really take the bait. If the tip is too stiff, you end up just pulling the lure away before it gets a good 'bite' on the bait. I also want some power in the rod. I typically will use a pretty heavy hook. I want the power to drive that hook home.

I've been using the Dobyns 734 and/or DX744, depending on what other setups I have going.
IIRC, you're a Loomis guy. The MBR844 has the action I like too.

For larger baits, I'm going to be using the DX745 this year.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 pm

I have been using a MBR844 here locally but did not have that in Florida a few weeks ago. I can see where a slightly longer rod would help.

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 am

First: Rigging the skinny dipper I like to use the Owner Monster 4/0 hook (1/4oz) weight hook. This hook is strong and allows for perfect swimming even at real slow retrieves. Second / Rods: for long casts I use a 7'6" hvy pwr, Mod- fast tip ; line: 40lb Braid with a 4ft Fluorocarbon leader. The Braid allows you to get away with a mod-fast tip which will allow the fish to take the bait and still get a great hookset from a distance. Third/ Rods: for short casts I use a 7ft hvy power with a fast tip; line 20 lbs Fluorocarbon.

If I am throwing more tradional paddle tails worms like the Zoom Speed Worm or Ultra Vibe, I will use a 5/O Owner worm hook; 1/4 bullet weight and same rod set up as above.

JT
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!