Looking to step up from Mojo ... Why Dobyns?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking to step up from Mojo ... Why Dobyns?

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:55 am

fanjoo wrote:Which model did you try out? I am sorry, but until you actually try the rod out on the water your comments don't have much credibility. Most people on these forums are regular people just trying to find the best rods for themselves. Any business model that revolves just flooding the market with information is not going to last if they have a crappy product...but Dobyn's rods just get more and more popular because people love them.
The one that I held was a Champion. As far as my comments not having credibility, because I haven't tried to rod out on the water, well, I agree. I did say and do think that the only way to evaluate a rod is to try it out on the water. I have bought plenty of rods that felt great in the store, but weren't so great when I fished with them and vise versa. I also agree that there must be a satisfied clientele for Dobyns rods, but for some reason, some people who own these rods take any criticism about them as a personal attack as if their last name was Dobyns or as if they had some vested interest in the brand. People criticize the brands I use all the time and it doesn't bother me, because I have no tie to these companies. Hence, with so many people defending this company, I figured there has to be some personal reward. I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did, I apologize.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 am

added in edit: as so many of my posts, this one became just a little long. short version, I like Dobyns 'cuz they suit how I like to fish. long version below. :lol:

I've been watching this thread for a while but haven't commented until now. Those of you who have been around know that I am a big fan of Dobyns rods. Those that have really been around know that I've extensively fished many other quality brands. Most have been what is called Tier 1 (or better) by the TT.com reviewers. Actually, I've fished a lot of the (then) budget sticks too. Thing is, when I was fishing the Tier 1 rods, I had a better idea/expectation of what I wanted in a rod. You could say I was more experienced as a consumer & an angler. As an FYI, I'm one of those guys that likes fishing 'full line' if possible. I feel that staying with one mfg gives me a (easier) way to control the steps in power & action better that way vs rods from several mfg.

Like I hear from many TT.com members, I didn't rush out to purchase a Dobyns. Didn't know much about them other than reading some positive posts & the good review on the Gen 1 sticks on TT.com. At the time, there also weren't a whole lot of them available. They were being purchased quickly according to the stores. Since I was pretty unfamiliar with them, I really wanted to hold one in the store. Nothing like actually fishing a stick, a point that is more obviously to me now, but I wanted to touch before buying. Like I hear people posting now, I thought to myself, "Why should I move from my GLoomis & St Croix sticks?" Why move from established brands with a long history to the upstart/boutique/etc rods?

Anyhow, I tried a Gen 1 stick (IIRC a 703C). At that time, I was fishing IMX & LTB sticks with plans on continuing to upgrade (GLX & Elite) as money allowed. I thought it was a nice stick for the price. I didn't plan on replacing my current rods as I thought they were overall better sticks. I wasn't into longer length rods at the time. Even though the Gen 1 balanced very well, I just figured it wasn't that big a deal. When the Gen 2 sticks came out, I only owned 3 Dobyns (Gen 1). The 703C, 704CB & 705CB.

Again, I nice preview/report on TT.com. Some positive posts out there as well on various forums. Talk of improved materials & construction piqued my interest. It also should be noted that the price increase placed them in the price range I was most comfortable buying rods in. Above 'entry level' nice rods but a place I was comfortable with for return on investment. Since I was fishing with the LTB Sweeper Spinnerbait a lot then, I picked up a (Gen 2) Champion 734C. It was the most comparable in specs while allowing me to try out a 'longer' stick. The rod really impressed me. I sold off my Gen 1 sticks & added another 734 plus a 733. Whereas I was fishing the LTB because I thought more rod for the money vs the IMX, well, let's just say the tables were turned with the Dobyns Champion. New leader in performance for that price range IMO.

I still didn't fully commit to Dobyns. I dabbled with Cumara & Zillion sticks buying 1/2 dozen of each while the Dobyns sat in the garage. It wasn't that those Gen 2 Champions weren't great. Far from it. I felt that were great! I started replacing LTB with 'croix Elites & even a Xtreme - tough to beat the factory upgrade program. :D I also fished a few specific models just because that one was supposed to be 'so good'. I was searching for something that could be better than what I had. You read so many great and/or glowing comments about so many sticks. Some I really liked. Some...not so much.

It was while searching for crankbait sticks (prior to 764CB RM days which you might have read my posts on), that I finally made the jump to full line - Champions. (Savvy weren't out yet & Champion Exteme was a little too much money for me.) Its like those sappy love stories you watch with the wife or girlfriend - what you were searching for was right in front of you (me) all the time. This is a process that took a lot of days on the water. Some of you who remember the old posts might think the time period wasn't that long. I'd like to state that I am fortunate enough to fish about twice a week - rain or shine. I can get to at least three Delta launch ramps in 30min. Not saying that to brag but to let folks know, I got some fishing time in.

Why do I fish Dobyns? Two ways to look at it. #1 is coldly logical. What do I get for my money vs other brands? #2 influences #1 but is very subjective. How does the rod 'feel' when fishing it?

Now a days, I fish primarily Champion Extreme series rods with a few Champions & just a couple of Savvy. In each series, I feel I am getting the best rod for me i.e. where & how I like to fish. Sensitivity, actions & balance are all things that I've looked for & found with the Dobyns line. Customer service is great. Little things actually aren't that little but really add to overall fishing enjoyment. Full cork. Rear handle length. Warranty policies - when I screwed up the policy got me back on the water quickly.

Rods, policy/service, company (people working there). Those are the reasons Dobyns is my preferred line of rods.

Darkman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Darkman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:33 am

my answer is very simple...I fish Dobyns because the suit me perfect
Erick Prado....Peace

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Steve Williams wrote:Everyone is different so it will probably come down to personal taste and what feels best in your hand. For me, I prefer Dobyns. Long but here's my story and why...

I've fished a lot of rods in the last few years. Primarily because I have a lot trouble in both wrists. I have arthritus in both of them as well as a cyst in one that nobody wants to try and remove because of all the ligaments, tendons, etc. Flipping, pitching, skipping, dragging, swimming a jig is my what do 80-90% of the year and I have always preferred longer rods. The problem was that after fishing for a day my hands and wrists hurt so bad that I had to ice them and it would take them a day or two to stop hurting from the repetitive motion of flipping/pitching. I tried a lot of rods always trying to find the lightest. I spoke with a custom builder who told me that it wasn't necessarily the weight of the rod that was causing my problem but the balance point. He built me a rod and I ended up going to almost entirely custom rods with built in balance kits because the balanced rods caused my wrists to hurt WAY less after fishing all day or for consecutive days than the lighter rods did. This proved to me that in my case, it wasn't necessarily the weight of the rod, but the balance point that was causing me so much trouble. Even though some rods were lighter than others, the weight in the tip or end of the rods were considerably heavier which put additional strain on my wrists. The downside to the customs I had was that when one broke or I had problems, I had to send back to the builder, they had to contact the rod company or blank distributor for warranty and then they had to fit into their schedule to get repaired or rebuilt once the new blank came in if not in stock which could take considerable time. However this was the route I took for quite a while and is a great route if you don't mind waiting as there are some VERY good cutom builders on this site and others that will take great care of you.

During early 2009 I begin reading posts on Dobyns rods on various sites. I had fished several models of the gen 1 rods in the past and heard the new rods were supposed to blow them away. Tacklewarehouse did a sale and I bought 2 DX784ML jig rods for dragging football jigs and carolina rigs. I ended up using those rods for about 80% of my jig fishing. They were long, they had plenty of power and they were very well balanced with a 7-8oz reels. They were also as sensitive as any rod I have ever fished regardless of price. I've spent over $450 on customs with extra bling so I've spent a lot on a rod... I noticed I was having less pain in my wrists and that sealed it. After that, I bought a 705CB Glass and a 705CBMF Glass rod and was very impressed with their weight, power and action. They caused me to sell my custom lamiglass cranking sticks. Then I ended up with a 764C and a 765Flip in a trade and my addiction was final. I ended up selling most all my custom rods and replaced them with Dobyns. I have now fished the above rods as well as the 733, 734, 736, 766 (in savvy and champion), DX795, 805CB RM, 765CB glass, DX782S, DX783S, DX743S, 704S, 703S and a few others... So I guess for me, it was balance, action, selection and sensitivity that sealed it. Oh, and they look cool to and customer service is incredible.
Thanks for the detailed answer...

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:21 pm

T Mike wrote:
fishindrummer217 wrote:
fanjoo wrote:
By the way what do you guys mean when you say that you got "burned" by Dobyns rod?
X2
X3!
it's cause the rod was just too hot for them to handle

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Chode wrote:
T Mike wrote:
fishindrummer217 wrote:
fanjoo wrote:
By the way what do you guys mean when you say that you got "burned" by Dobyns rod?
X2
X3!
it's cause the rod was just too hot for them to handle
Bought a Gen1 rod broke twice on me, sold it. never broke a rod before the dobyns. thats when word got out that Dobyns changed blank suppliers.

Decided to give them another chance got me a gen 2 champ all graphite cranking rod, several inserts started to rattle within its guides after two days of heavy use. sent it back and got a Loomis cranking rod never looked back. The rod was not tip heavy fairly light blanced ok with my reel but was also very dissapionted in the sensitivity dept. I have not tried a DX but would be willing to bet the farm that its not more sensitive than GLX graphite.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Lucky Craft Man wrote:I think part of Dodyns business model is to flood the forums with "pro-staffers" to create an "increased" demand and hype over these rods. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think it unfortunately skews the opinions sought by someone who is genuinely looking for an honest assessment.

As far as Dobyns rods are concerned, I was able to finally handle some at my nearby Cabelas. They seem like nice enough rods, but definitely wouldn't consider them above and beyond any other brand. I would love to fish one to truly give it an on the water evaluation, but I was not impressed enough in the store to warrant a purchase to perform that evaluation.
Statements like that immediately destroy any credibility in my opinion.

BASSLAYER had a bad couple of experiences with Dobyns rods and I can see why he is not an advocate.

I currently own rods manufactured by G Loomis, St Croix and Dobyns. All three manufactures build fine rods with inherent positive qualities. I find myself switching over to Dobyns because the sensitivity, balance and fish-ability that they offer me and my fishing style, preferences and needs. No, I am not a "pro-staffer"... wish I was... but unless that happens I will be shelling out my hard earned bucks, most likely on Dobyns rods unless I find something better.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 am

bstuckey wrote: Statements like that immediately destroy any credibility in my opinion.
I guess you didn't read my follow up post (at the top of this page). I'll repost it below and bold the important part:

"The one that I held was a Champion. As far as my comments not having credibility, because I haven't tried to rod out on the water, well, I agree. I did say and do think that the only way to evaluate a rod is to try it out on the water. I have bought plenty of rods that felt great in the store, but weren't so great when I fished with them and vise versa. I also agree that there must be a satisfied clientele for Dobyns rods, but for some reason, some people who own these rods take any criticism about them as a personal attack as if their last name was Dobyns or as if they had some vested interest in the brand. People criticize the brands I use all the time and it doesn't bother me, because I have no tie to these companies. Hence, with so many people defending this company, I figured there has to be some personal reward. I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did, I apologize."

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Lucky Craft Man wrote:
bstuckey wrote: Statements like that immediately destroy any credibility in my opinion.
I guess you didn't read my follow up post (at the top of this page). I'll repost it below and bold the important part:

"The one that I held was a Champion. As far as my comments not having credibility, because I haven't tried to rod out on the water, well, I agree. I did say and do think that the only way to evaluate a rod is to try it out on the water. I have bought plenty of rods that felt great in the store, but weren't so great when I fished with them and vise versa. I also agree that there must be a satisfied clientele for Dobyns rods, but for some reason, some people who own these rods take any criticism about them as a personal attack as if their last name was Dobyns or as if they had some vested interest in the brand. People criticize the brands I use all the time and it doesn't bother me, because I have no tie to these companies. Hence, with so many people defending this company, I figured there has to be some personal reward. I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did, I apologize."
I was referring to the "Business Model & "Pro-staffer" comment.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:05 pm

bstuckey wrote:
Lucky Craft Man wrote:

I was referring to the "Business Model & "Pro-staffer" comment.
Well, that definitely was an unqualified statement on my part. I was just trying to rationalize why so many people took any criticism against Dobyns personally. As it appears, my reasoning was wrong.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Since none of the guys who posted that they had been burned by Dobyns, I guess I'll step on the beehive.

I wouldn't choose to characterize my experience as "getting burned", but I was pretty unsatisfied with my experience with Dobyns. I guess I'd better explain further before some of you break your computer screens. :lol:

A couple of years ago, I traded for a 704C Champ with another forum member. I wanted a heavy powered rod for Senko's and jigs. I really wanted to trade for a Powell 704C, but the only offer I received was for the Dobyns. I was nervous about the rumors of breakage, but the archive was filled with glowing reports of GLX-like sensitivity and incredible balance so I decided I'd go for it. To sum it up, I thought the rod was ugly, less sensitive than my Powell's, and although fairly well balanced, not perfect as so many had posted. I quickly sold the Dobyns and picked up a Powell 704C, the rod I really wanted.

I know the there have many changes with Dobyns lineup. From what I read, the changes have been for the better. I just haven't been able to bring myself to try another. The frequent hyperbolic comments about their first generation sticks have planted a permanent seed of doubt in my mind.

But this all just my opinion...

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

I understand your feelings about the Gen 1 rods. As I typed earlier, they weren't a product I was going to replace the LTB or IMX rods I was fishing with back then.

The Gen 2 Dobyns are so much better than the Gen 1, it is really like a whole new company. IMO, better construction, sensitivity, balance & appearance in the Gen 2 sticks. I was a little cautious about the Kigan guides but they've proven to be very reliable to me. As an example, I feel that the Savvy is a better rod than the Gen 1 Champion. Both rods retail (retailed) for around $169. Since I never fished the Gen 1 Extreme, I can't comment on them compared to the Gen 2 rods. I have read posts stating people believe that the Savvy is a better rod than the Gen 1 Extreme.