Looking to step up from Mojo ... Why Dobyns?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking to step up from Mojo ... Why Dobyns?

Post by bladerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 am

What is it about Dobyns that has all of you drooling all over yourselves? Are their blanks really that much better than everyone elses? Components? Blanks? Action? A combination of everything with price? In the "favorite rod" poll they are killing it and I was wondering what in particular it is about Dobyns everyone loves?

Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking to step up from Mojo ... Why Dobyns?

Post by Birdi23nls » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 am

they are reasonably priced, they are extremely sensitive (extreme model), and the best balanced rod I own, and I own some expensive rods.
Jared

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 am

You might look into using St. Croix's trade-up service. Depending on how old your Mojo is and which model you want you could trade up to an Avid for $100-$120. Avids are good rods and if you are into more traditional styling you might like them better than a Dobyns. (Ducking now!)

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 am

Bob Ellis wrote:You might look into using St. Croix's trade-up service. Depending on how old your Mojo is and which model you want you could trade up to an Avid for $100-$120. Avids are good rods and if you are into more traditional styling you might like them better than a Dobyns. (Ducking now!)
The St. Croixs are better looking in my opinion - but that isn't important to me really. The Dobyns TOTALLY look like someone took a golf shaft and put a reel on it. :lol: Ducking also...

I'm interested in the Dobyns though - after all the gushing on here. The actions/powers on all my mojo seem a little on the weak side to me. My MH feel like other manufacturers Ms and their Ms feel like other manufacturers MLs. Am I alone?

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:11 am

bladerunner wrote:What is it about Dobyns that has all of you drooling all over yourselves? Are their blanks really that much better than everyone elses? Components? Blanks? Action? A combination of everything with price? In the "favorite rod" poll they are killing it and I was wondering what in particular it is about Dobyns everyone loves?
I was not impressed and got burned with Dobyns Rods twice (also DUCKING) :whistle: not going for a third.

I believe just more popular out West. Dobyns Rods and TT along with some affiliates are based out Cali more exposure (marketing).

Trade up, get an LTB or splurge and get an NSI either elite or extreme.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:14 am

Everyone has a personal preference regarding looks. Take the skeet rods or the ducketts. Some love em and some think they're just butt ugly. Birdie23nls summed it up pretty well. But what sold me was the action of the rod. I didn't get a Dobyns rod until the crankbait wars. After reading the reviews, I decided to get the 704 CB glass. First impression was wow! This is glass???? It fishes like a graphite rod (imo) until you get a fish on. Then, you feel the glass take over. So after this, I went to get the 734C. Super balanced and sensitive. Just felt right. It's now my main rod for jigs and heavier texas rigged plastics. Sometimes it's hard to explain...Gary just designed the rods perfectly for each application. The powers and actions are right on. Once you fish one, then you will understand.

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 am

I had a Mojo a couple years back I guess, when they first came out.... Man was that thing tip heavy! I used it for like one day and promptly sold it. It was the 7' Medium (plastics) rod. You know what, that's where Dobyns shines. The balance of the rods, especially in the 7' and longer rods is a lot of what sets them apart. A 7'3" rod feels really similar to another manufacturer's 6' rod of similar power. Plus the blanks, fit, finish and components are tough to beat, especially at their price points. In my opinion, the Savvy (Dobyns low end rod) compares favorably to the Avid. I only one one Champion and haven't fished it yet so I can't really comment there but the DX series is ridiculous! You would be hard pressed to find a more sensitive rod for the price or, in the case of some companies, any price. Plus it changes colors, corny I know but the wife thinks it's pretty cool and doesn't complain as much when I bring "those color changing rods" home.
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:40 am

Also got burned by a Dobyns. ( ducking now, also ) If you could, trade up to a LTB, and you won't be dissapointed. Or in TT fashion, scratch that itch, and get a Dobyns and give us a report.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 am

they look and feel great, to me its the balance that sets them apart from the rest,most other rods I used were tip heavy .
Last edited by phatbass on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 am

I have fished both and IMHO the Dobyn's is a lot better than the Mojo. Like other people have said the Mojo and most of St.Croix sticks are just tip heavy. If I were you I would recommend ordering both of them from TW and just putting a reel on both of them and see which one feels better. I guarantee you will notice the difference immediately. Dobyn's rods are very well balanced and sensitive, and have rods for all types of fishing (swimbaits, cranking/glass and graphite, flipping). I usually want most of my rods to be from the same brand, I don't want a crankbait rod from here, and a jig rod from here. My previously owned rods have included glx's, cumaras, zillions, megabass, kistler magnesiums, and I can confidently say that I like the Dobyns line of rods the best. Although lots of guys here swear by St. Croix rods so you just have to find out for yourself.

By the way what do you guys mean when you say that you got "burned" by Dobyns rod?

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:01 pm

fanjoo wrote:
By the way what do you guys mean when you say that you got "burned" by Dobyns rod?
X2

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:17 pm

fishindrummer217 wrote:
fanjoo wrote:
X2
X3!
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

Feedingseagulls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Feedingseagulls » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:22 pm

They were using it to kebab some meat and it melted onto them?

CWilliams
Angler
Angler

Post by CWilliams » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:50 pm

phatbass wrote:they look and feel great, to me its the balance that sets them apart from the rest,most other rods I used were tip heavy .
Please show me the balance point so I can compare to other rods.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd have to agree on St. Croix rods being tip heavy. Owned several and sold them all except one Avid. I have mostly Shimano Crucials and Cumaras now. I am also very interested in Dobyns. Powell rods are also very good and better than St. Coix in my opinion and even on price. Not to mention, Gary Dobyns also helped designed the Powell Max Cast rods - don't know much about that what happened between Gary Dobyns and Powell.

Link to Powell Max Cast review from TT:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowell683cxfast.html
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**