Which rod manufacturer uses the BEST blanks?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Which rod manufacturer uses the BEST blanks?

G.Loomis
32%
Shimano
2%
Daiwa
3%
St.Croix
27%
Kistler
8%
Powell
4%
Dobyns
24%

Total votes: 157

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which rod manufacturer uses the BEST blanks?

Post by Hulkster » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm

G. Loomis.

its nice how they cater to specific sections of the market too, for example, they have so many ultralight rods to choose from, from the original SR series, to the newer TSR series rods.

they are the best in terms of blank quality, and made in north america too.

I have yet to fish with one that I didnt think was phenomenal.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:05 pm

G Loomis owned the blank market for a number of years! Since Shimanos decision to stop selling Loomis blanks the Phenix Blank sales locally and internationally have exploded beyond what you would ever believe. We are now exporting blanks and proprietory rods in 14 different countries!! And it's growing by about 10% per month!! :shock:
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

gundog
Angler
Angler

Post by gundog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm

gary loomis's new company NFC the Kistler Z-bone is the sickest rod Ive ever held. Super light great actions the mod. is like a normal fast and the fast is an extra fast in other manufactures. I've yet to fish with them so for now I will say G-loomis but Im sure that will change when I bring these rods out. 8-)

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:39 pm

G. Loomis GLX and now NRX are the benchmarks. They make excellent rods for salmon as well as for bass. They used to have some of the best saltwater blanks (OG Saltwater Series) until Shimano took over. :crying:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 am

I voted Gloomis as well. But now I have more Shimano rods 11 total (Crucials and Cumras). Perhaps it is because I get such good discounts on them :big grin:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:26 pm

dragon1 wrote:Best for what?
Just the highest quality graphite. Who is the most discerning about the original state and characteristics of the blank BEFORE it is turned into a rod with components and designated an action.

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Now I fish with Shimano Crucials. Have Loomis, Shimano Cumara, and Dobyns. All are great rods but Crucials seem to "fit" me and my style of fishing the best. Really do not know why just like them better.

Canuckbass
Angler
Angler

Post by Canuckbass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 am

A couple years ago I would have voted G. Loomis, now I am loving Dobyns.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:59 am

Kistler only because of the NFC Zbone LE blank. My next rod may be a custom built on a NFC blank.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:08 am

njbasscat wrote:Kistler only because of the NFC Zbone LE blank. My next rod may be a custom built on a NFC blank.
this...

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 pm

Pretty close competition.

The nice part about the St. Croix blanks... you can actually buy them and have a custom rod built that is superior to any manufacturers rod.

Too bad Loomis stopped selling blanks. I bet a custom rod built on an NRX blank would be sweet.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Sage, Scott, Lamiglas, GLoomis, St. Croix, Phenix, NFC....really hard to say. But if it is just the best, it is still based on "for what". IMO, there is a significant difference between nearly every company's top of the line vs their entry level blanks, including graphite, glass, composites, etc.

Of note, companies that use OEM or blanks provided to them per specs; do not manufacture their own blanks...although I see some listed on this topic.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:03 am

holden234 wrote:Now I fish with Shimano Crucials. Have Loomis, Shimano Cumara, and Dobyns. All are great rods but Crucials seem to "fit" me and my style of fishing the best. Really do not know why just like them better.

I voted Shimano and based my vote on price as well as quality. I have a handful of crucials and all are excellent. Recently purchased a couple GLX's in my favorite actions and was underwhelmed to say the least. Definitely not worth 2 or 3 Crucials to me...

Heck, I'd heard the MBR 843 GLX was one of the best all-around out there, and I don't find it any lighter than my Falcon Caras, Lowriders, or Bucoo or any more sensitive than my Crucials. I'd worried that that one purchase would cost me a lot of money, but it actually put me at peace with my $150ish rods.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Pen3 wrote:Whoever makes blanks for Evergreen and since its not on there i won't vote.
x2! Was thinking the same thing.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm

weight, strength and sensitivity. my money is on st. croix. loomis gets brittle at the glx series. no experience with nrx or dobyns though. going to try dobyns soon thinking about getting a DX 743C