Powell swim jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Powell swim jig rod

Post by StPaulPike » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 am

Anyone have one. What do you think of it? Was wondering if it would make a nice soft jerk bait rod as well. I like to have dual purpose as i cant always bring all my rods with me.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Powell swim jig rod

Post by RIK » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 am

I have one and like it a lot. Never used it as a soft jerkbait rod, but now that I think about it I'm wondering why not... It does make a good spinnerbait rod for open water too. Really like the rod.

Are you "StPaulPike" as in St Paul MN? If so....if you plan on going to the bass workshop at Thorne Brothers on April 16, I can bring mine and you can check it out.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

RIK wrote:I have one and like it a lot. Never used it as a soft jerkbait rod, but now that I think about it I'm wondering why not... It does make a good spinnerbait rod for open water too. Really like the rod.

Are you "StPaulPike" as in St Paul MN? If so....if you plan on going to the bass workshop at Thorne Brothers on April 16, I can bring mine and you can check it out.
You are a kind & generous man Rob... but don't you know... there are no bass in Minnesota! :big grin: Give Pat a kick in the ass for me on the 16th. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am

bstuckey wrote:
You are a kind & generous man Rob... but don't you know... there are no bass in Minnesota! :big grin: Give Pat a kick in the ass for me on the 16th. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Hah! Yeah, all we have in MN are water donkeys (walleyes)...

I'll tell Pat my seminar is about sucker fishing for muskies...he'll be rolling around on the floor foaming at the mouth. :)

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 am

What is the length and power of the Powell Swim jig rod and model #? Would like to take look at it on the Powell Rod site. Thanks

Never mind just found on Tackle Warehouse Site.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 am

It should be a good rod for soft jerkbaits also. I've got a 733, similar action and it works great.
robchik.com

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:34 am

I caught an 8 pounder on a 733 today with a swim jig, ended up with a big fish and a broken rod tip (probably my fault). Rod worked well until it broke.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 am

i have one and love it. it is a 723-MHCEF and weighs 5.4 ounces but balances great in the hand. i've only used it for swimjigs and swimmin' flukes on 1/2-ounce open hook jigheads so far and it handles them great. i would definitely use it for soft jerkbaits.

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got one. I will pair it with a revo prem.

Also yeah im in St paul mn. Ive ordered from thorne bros before but never been there before. Go to Joes most of the time. I think ill stop by on the 16th and check it out.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Sun May 22, 2011 12:02 pm

i see this rod is rated for up to 1/2 ounce only, have you guys thrown anything heavier on this stick?