kistler z-bone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

kistler z-bone

Post by beezy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 pm

hello everyone this is my first post and I want to make it different than everything here. I have been browsing this website for some time now and I always loved the reviews on rods, reels, and everything else. Anyways I don't see much talk about the new kistler z-bone rods. I recently purchased the cheapest of the three blanks the z-bone ST blank. I didn't expect too much from this rod, but man it's not as light as I thought it would be. However, sensitivity is up there. It's way more sensitive than any of my dobyns champion rod or cumaras. The weight is the only downfall. Here in socal the bass are on beds and we have been bed fishing and man I can feel every thing on the end of my line. I know kistler's warranty isn't all that great but this rod is a winner in my book. I can't post up pics of it because I don't have a camera other than the one on my phone and I somehow can't get the pictures out of there to put it online so any help from anyone would be appreciated. Anyways I hope I didn't upset too many of you Dobyns and shimano fans out there.

Carlos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: kistler z-bone

Post by Carlos » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:42 pm

I bought three of the LE about 2 months ago and am still in the testing face. They are pretty sensitive although not sure if anymore than my dobyns. They are nice sticks and i hope i catch a big one to really apreciate them. The only thing I didn't like was the hookkeeper.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 pm

I agree with you on the hook keeper as it did bother me a bit. But I really do think it's a tad more sensitive than my dobyns champion 733 and 704 rods. And even better than my cumaras. I still can't figure out a way to get my pics from my cell phone onto my computer to show some pics of the fish that I've caught on this rod including a nice one on the new Mattlures U2 bluegill swimbaits.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:22 am

Don't take offense but your first post says the Zbone is way more sensative than the DX and your second post says its a tad more sensative than the DX. You give conflicting information.
I have a Zbone LE and several DXs'. In my opinion the Zbone is a tad more sensative when it comes to feeling bottom composition and cover. I can feel a fish take a bait in about equally with both. Since I don't have a Zbone LE with conventional guides to compare to mine that has micro guides I don't know if it is the micro guides or the blank which make this rod as sensative as it is. Probably both? The Zbone is a great rod made by a company with a questionable past when it came to being honest with the public about breakage and warranty issues. Too many people have bad stories about warranty issues.

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:36 am

njbasscat wrote:Don't take offense but your first post says the Zbone is way more sensative than the DX and your second post says its a tad more sensative than the DX. You give conflicting information.
I have a Zbone LE and several DXs'. In my opinion the Zbone is a tad more sensative when it comes to feeling bottom composition and cover. I can feel a fish take a bait in about equally with both. Since I don't have a Zbone LE with conventional guides to compare to mine that has micro guides I don't know if it is the micro guides or the blank which make this rod as sensative as it is. Probably both? The Zbone is a great rod made by a company with a questionable past when it came to being honest with the public about breakage and warranty issues. Too many people have bad stories about warranty issues.
Hes talking about a champion, not a DX. I've owned a champion, but not a DX. The champion was a great rod and all, however I didn't consider it to be overly sensitive. My cabelas XML rod was more sensitive than my Dobyns champion. That being said, I would rather own the champion.

Sensitivity is one of those things that really is more personal preference than scientific. IMO most high end rods are are plenty sensitive for any style of fishing. However, I do agree that a super sensitive rod is very enjoyable to fish with regardless if it is needed or not.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:21 am

hey njbasscat I was talking about the champion series only not the champion extreme. I only had a chance to hold one and if I did have the money I would want to buy one in the near future to compare to this z-bone. Now I don't hate Dobyns rods, imo, they are the best balanced rods out there. However, the ST blanks(z-bone blank) are the cheapest blanks you can get for the custom z-bone rods and imo they are more sensitive than the Dobyns champion and Shimano cumara rods. These are the main rods that I can compare them too as I have them and use them extensively.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:27 pm

beezy wrote: I can't post up pics of it because I don't have a camera other than the one on my phone and I somehow can't get the pictures out of there to put it online so any help from anyone would be appreciated.
I send my pictures from my phone to my email....just act like you are sending a picture message to one of your buddies, but instead of putting a phone number in or scrolling to his or her name in your address book, type out your email address with the full extension (@aol.com, @yahoo.com...ect...) and send it...then it might end up in your spam box the first time, if it is just unmark it and you will be good to go...

About the Z-bone...I have no comments :big grin:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks for the help edu daniel 14 but the problem is that all I can do on my phone is call and receive calls. I share a plan with my brother and he hates paying for text and web so is there another way that I can get the photos out of my phone?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:25 am

Some smart phones (i.e., iphone, tilt) will show up as a device (usually a digital camera) on a Windows File Requester. If you can, hook your phone up to a USB port on your computer and see if it is recognized by going to "Computer" and looking at the drives/devices on your machine. If you see it there, double click and drill down in the directories on your phone until you find the pics (usually JPEGs with weird numeric names). You can select a thumbnails view to see the pictures and that will help you identify the shots you want. You then can drag them off the phone onto your desktop where you can deal with them as usual.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker