FENWICK???

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
walleyeguy666
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

FENWICK???

Post by walleyeguy666 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am

Anyone use em,do u like em are they a well built rod

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: FENWICK???

Post by Redfish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am

I have 2 older Fenwick HMX's and have used and abused them for about 6 years and neither have ever failed me. Saltwater, freshwater they are kinda my jack of all trade rods even to this day. The triggers on these particular rods are "odd" and took some time getting used to. Again, this is for older rods only, newer ones I cannot speak for.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 pm

I've got a new HMG. I haven't been able to fish it more yet this spring, but my intial impressions are all positive.

For starters, I like the steathy look of it. My rod is very well put together. The wraps are immaculate. I also really dig the feel of the TAC handle. It feels tacky and comfortable. My biggest complaint is that it features an ACS reel seat, which I find less comfortable than the ECS. I have the 7'3 MH. In hand, without a reel, it is noticably tip heavy. But with a Luna 103, it feels very good.

From handling mine in my house, I'd say that the newer HMG's are a good alternative to other rods in the $100 range.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Fenwick's lower grade rods HMG, HMX, and Eagle GT are decent rods. They are designed for all purpose uses. They will come in all common sizes and actions. Popular with anglers on a budget and Midwest walleye guys. When you step up into the Elite Tech you are getting into some good quality graphite in specific sizes and actions for specific applications. Again mostly for walleye fisherman. Although some of the rods would make great dropshot rods like the EWS69ML-F, EWS72ML-F and the EWS72M-F. Good rods but went away from bass rods a year ago. I think they had trouble competing so they stayed with their bread and butter. Walleye fishing in the midwest.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

I have a newer HMG 7 footer casting rod that I use for pitching and flipping. It's not one of main rods but it performs nicely. I like the warranty on the HMG as it is life time. I also have three older HMG models w/ the cork handles. I like the old cork handle better than the new one.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

They are great rods and competitive at their price ranges. I love the new elite tech river runner rods and they have been getting a lot of attention for a new line of smallmouth rods set to debut at icast this year. I love my fenwicks!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:31 am

Why is it that when you join or get aquired by Pure Fishing....the quality goes down? The only aquisition of Pure Fishing that I find, on the tackle side of things that went up instead of down, is Abu Garcia. Look at All-Star Rods - used to be very good. Now All-Star just makes mediocre to low quality rods. Very disapointed. Fenwick is stil a house hold name in the Upper Midwest where I live but thier quality too have gone down except for Walleye. I still have a 8yrs-10yrs old Eagle GT that was in many was superior to that of some of the St. Croix rods back in its days. I hope Fenwick does some turning around. Also Cabelas has the Fenwick Silver Hawk rods for almost 50% off. Decent rods but there are better options out there at that price range.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Ahem...FFO has some awesome deals at times clearing out some very nice Fenwicks. ;)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I have a couple Technas, an HMG, & an E-Tech & they're all really solid rods. I like the Technas the best, but the HMG is very solid for where it's priced at. I haven't had a chance to fish my E-Tech yet, but it feels solid. They have been put on the back burner for bass rods(All-Star too) by Pure, as it seems they're pushing the Abu sticks to be their main bass fishing rod line.

v3n0m
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by v3n0m » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:27 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:Why is it that when you join or get aquired by Pure Fishing....the quality goes down? The only aquisition of Pure Fishing that I find, on the tackle side of things that went up instead of down, is Abu Garcia. Look at All-Star Rods - used to be very good. Now All-Star just makes mediocre to low quality rods. Very disapointed. Fenwick is stil a house hold name in the Upper Midwest where I live but thier quality too have gone down except for Walleye. I still have a 8yrs-10yrs old Eagle GT that was in many was superior to that of some of the St. Croix rods back in its days. I hope Fenwick does some turning around. Also Cabelas has the Fenwick Silver Hawk rods for almost 50% off. Decent rods but there are better options out there at that price range.
I completely agree! I used to be a big fenwick fan when I was a kid. I was always pleased with their build quality and blank action until recently. I checked out some of the newer rods @ cabelas and was really disapointed in the fit and finish. They had awful cork and sloppy guide wraps ect. Like someone mentioned previously the elite tech series are nice and they seem to be built well. I also hope they get their act together because they used to deliver a great product.
~>V{e}N{o}M<~

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm

bassbandit wrote:I've got a new HMG. I haven't been able to fish it more yet this spring, but my intial impressions are all positive.

For starters, I like the steathy look of it. My rod is very well put together. The wraps are immaculate. I also really dig the feel of the TAC handle. It feels tacky and comfortable. My biggest complaint is that it features an ACS reel seat, which I find less comfortable than the ECS. I have the 7'3 MH. In hand, without a reel, it is noticably tip heavy. But with a Luna 103, it feels very good.

From handling mine in my house, I'd say that the newer HMG's are a good alternative to other rods in the $100 range.
The ACS reel seat is the tipping point for me, I'll never get another rod without it, that ECS reel seat gave me swollen fingers after a day of chucking a spinnerbait. But to be fait that Elite Tech smallmouth rod with the new handle design looks worthy of a try but most of my rods are being replaced with rods using the ACS reel seat.
Barlow's Tackle

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 am

v3n0m wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:Why is it that when you join or get aquired by Pure Fishing....the quality goes down? The only aquisition of Pure Fishing that I find, on the tackle side of things that went up instead of down, is Abu Garcia. Look at All-Star Rods - used to be very good. Now All-Star just makes mediocre to low quality rods. Very disapointed. Fenwick is stil a house hold name in the Upper Midwest where I live but thier quality too have gone down except for Walleye. I still have a 8yrs-10yrs old Eagle GT that was in many was superior to that of some of the St. Croix rods back in its days. I hope Fenwick does some turning around. Also Cabelas has the Fenwick Silver Hawk rods for almost 50% off. Decent rods but there are better options out there at that price range.
I completely agree! I used to be a big fenwick fan when I was a kid. I was always pleased with their build quality and blank action until recently. I checked out some of the newer rods @ cabelas and was really disapointed in the fit and finish. They had awful cork and sloppy guide wraps ect. Like someone mentioned previously the elite tech series are nice and they seem to be built well. I also hope they get their act together because they used to deliver a great product.

About fifteen years ago Fenwick ceased blank sales to custom builders and moved rod production off shore.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 am

i have 2 hmx's and 1 hmg and like them never had a problem the only thing is that theyre older, im 6 im 7 and just can't compare to say a im 10 cumara. can't say anything about the new ones mine are 5=7 yrs old

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:41 am

I found that my old IM6 Fenwick rods serves really good for Lipless Cranks. The parabolic bend that it has is almost that of current graphite cranking rods, especially the Ugly Stick like bend of the tips. Even though my Fenwick IM6 rods of 10yrs ago are rated MH XFast, compared to my current MH XFast, like I said the old ones feels like M Moderate Fast. Technological advances...
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:50 am

It looks that in Japan they have no problems at all judging by their line of products and prices...
http://www.tiemco.jp/fenwick/products/index.html :-k