Zillion vs. Cumara

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion vs. Cumara

Post by Fat-G » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:36 am

How do these two rods compare? Balance, sensitivity, action? Zillion is a little more expensive.

I really like my CUC-72MH for plastics, it's just an all-around awesome rod. I have heard that the Zillions run stiff for their rating, so I might get one for jigs!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion vs. Cumara

Post by Pen3 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:05 am

The Zillion is super sensitive for the price and pick one power down and if you want a H go for the MH. I have a zillion reel on mine and balances perfectly.

mobassman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobassman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:06 am

Another vote for the Zillion.
"Fishin ain't catchin"

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:10 am

Alright nice, I may just have to get the 7' MH for plastics and jigs and match it with a Zillion 100SHA, with some Daiwa Samurai! It's a Daiwa tribute!

mobassman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobassman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 am

Sounds like a good choice! The Zillion reel matches up perfectly with the Zillion rod, awesome combo!! 8-) 8-)
"Fishin ain't catchin"

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

+1 for the cumara. although the zillion is a solid rod, i just enjoy fishing lighter tackle especially for those long tournament days. the only complaint i hear about the zillion is that it's a bit tip heavy. i compared my 6'8"MH cumara to my buddy's 6'9"MH zillion and the cumara balances closer to the reel seat by 1 1/2 to 2 inches. when my cumara is paired up with a core, the combo is light and very balanced, even with a reel as light as a core. i use it to throw soft plastics on 10-12 pound fluoro and i think it's perfect for that. but i wouldn't fish this combo in heavier cover. i think there are better rods out there for that, maybe even a zillion.

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Fat-G wrote:Alright nice, I may just have to get the 7' MH for plastics and jigs and match it with a Zillion 100SHA, with some Daiwa Samurai! It's a Daiwa tribute!
Don't forget the daiwa baits :lol:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:38 pm

The Zillion Rods are stiffer rods but both balance the same IMO. My 7'2" MH XF Cumara rod is less stiff compared to my Zillion 7'0" M XF rod (Yes its a medium). I figure it would be the oposite but I was wrong. But with me, I like the XXF tips for Trigger vs Reaction. I find the quick stiff hook setup in the Zillion Rods when fishing plastics and worms better. But if I was to make a choice....it'd be awfully hard. They each have thier pros and cons. You can't go wrong with one or the other.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

vtbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vtbasser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:16 am

I've not used the Zillion but I love my Cumaras. I put braid on them though so stiffness isn't as much of a factor. A friend and the best jig fisherman I know fishes his jigs on 15lb fluoro and a 7-2 MH XF Cumara and loves the combo.
www.hokiebass.com
Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:34 am

The cumara is hard to beat.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

I've had both and they're both good. I'm sitting on a really fresh 7" MXF Zillion right now. I like the rod a lot, but just don't have an open slot on the deck for it. :-k Yet, I just can't quite sell it. Might be useful down the line. Contrary to some of the balance comments, I find my 7" MXF Zillion balances pretty sweetly with just about any reel I've put on it. It's a very fast rod.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Smalleyez wrote:I've had both and they're both good. I'm sitting on a really fresh 7" MXF Zillion right now. I like the rod a lot, but just don't have an open slot on the deck for it. :-k Yet, I just can't quite sell it. Might be useful down the line. Contrary to some of the balance comments, I find my 7" MXF Zillion balances pretty sweetly with just about any reel I've put on it. It's a very fast rod.
I have the same rod and love it for light plastics and or jig. I am able to cast 1/16 oz jigs 20 yards to 30 yards easily with my upgraded Alphas Ito 103 on this rod and that is very fun. Even with the Xfast tip, I find it very good with smaller spinnerbaits and top water plugs when I use it for Bass. Very versatile rod. I use this rod setup for mostly for Walleyes and Silverbass in the Midwest here. I am also in the same boat with you on my 6'6" MXF rod and deciding also if I should sell it or keep it. But I am going to keep it and also perhaps use it to skip baits under docks. Its better to have and want than not have and want.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**