A bunch of low end or a few high end

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A bunch of low end or a few high end

Post by njbasscat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:47 pm

Pen3 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:Planning to get two Type-R's if I can sell a couple of Curado 200E7's and or might sell one new Cumura just to get the Type-r's.
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself. A brand new Smoke 100 cost $190 and a Brand new Type R is $600. Is the Type R 3x better than the Smoke? I don't think so. Don't say you can get a used Type R for cheap because you can get a used Smoke for cheap also. You want the Type R cause its rare and more fun to fish and same can be said with people buying high end rods too :lol:
Zillion Type R is $400. You can drive to work in a Dodge Neon or a Range Rover. They both will get you there. Some like refinement and others think it is overkill. Whatever floats your boat is ok with me. I don't judge.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Not judging anyone. I got a few high end rods and reels myself.

revo680
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by revo680 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I ride kind of right in the middle. I have a few Cabelas XML rods(very nice rods for the price IMO), a Lamiglas "senko special", and a Kistler helium ltx II. This week I'm going to pull the trigger on the 723 Powell endurance and possibly another heavier endurance for frogs and heavy cover.

I was torn between getting one really nice rod ( a glx or dx) and getting a couple very good rods. In the end I choose to get Powells because they are nice rods and they will fill out my arsenal well. Another thought I had was that if I got one really nice rod, I wouldn't want to use the others nearly as much.

Now I'll just need to get some more reels! :D

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I guess some people are ok with low end stuff and some people want the best. While I would like to have all nrx's and steez's I am a college student running on fumes to and fro. I had an econ prof tell me that people want the largest gains they can possibly get for the least amount of work and where end up is the midpoint where value and price meet or work and benefit. So I guess this is the type of rods I need/want, the best rod for the least amount of money aka the best value. This forum really ruins me hearing all you guys talk about the amazing rods that I would love to own and I start to believe I can haha...which I could but then I would run out of fumes. It seems powell is right where I belong. Thanks for all your replies.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Well, finish college and then start buying the good stuff! You'll get there! You have a lot of years of tackle buying ahead. ;)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm feeling lower than usual after reading this thread. Never had a $100 COMBO before last year. I'm not a student (actually nearing retirement age), but I can't afford the $300-$500 rods and reels either. The most I've paid for a rod was $150 for a used Zillion. Got to use it one day last year before quitting for the season. That was enough to know I'd like a couple more. However, new is too much $$$$ for me. Sad state of affairs when my "high end" is "low end" for everyone else. :crying: Could we please call $100-$200 rods mid-priced? Would make me feel better. :mrgreen:

Given that you are a college student, then I feel you are best served with rods in the $100-$200 range. (Please let me know how you can afford these rods as a student. I'd like to be able to buy them on a regular basis, and I have a steady job. :-({|= ) Wait until you have a good paying job before considering the high end gear. Stay single or you won't be able to afford it even then unless you are making very good money. Or make sure the wife also has a good job. :big grin:

I'd love to somehow come up with enough cash to buy a rod of the Champion's quality for contact baits. Forget the Extreme, Megabass, Evergreen, GLX or NRX. Never going to happen.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Keep an eye out and buy used. There is a pretty good forum here to get good used stuff. ;)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Pen3 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:Planning to get two Type-R's if I can sell a couple of Curado 200E7's and or might sell one new Cumura just to get the Type-r's.
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself. A brand new Smoke 100 cost $190 and a Brand new Type R is $600. Is the Type R 3x better than the Smoke? I don't think so. Don't say you can get a used Type R for cheap because you can get a used Smoke for cheap also. You want the Type R cause its rare and more fun to fish and same can be said with people buying high end rods too :lol:
No contradictions here. Remember, this is about rods, not reels. :big grin:

I'll spend more on my reels than rods. Type-R vs Smoke....Type-R wins, not even close. And you don't have to spend $400 retail for the Type-R. Like Tok said, there are plenty of resources to purchase them, one being TT For Sale/Trade. I have Cumara, Zillions, GL3, GLX, Crucials, and a few other brands but have never paid over $150 for any one rod. Most my rods are brand new too. Same with my Reels. Curado 200E's, Revo STX's, Zillions, Fuegos, and a few others too, but again, the most I have spent on one reel is $180 (Alphas ito 103 from Viktor from TT here). And again, my reels are mostly brandnew never been used. You just have to have patience, be at the right place at the right time, know how to deal with people, and or know how to search and keep an eye out on EBAY stuff. Example: The Type-R I am getting is from a local person. He used last fishing season and just didn't like the Type-R as much after hearing so much about it. He loves his Core 50MG and Shimano Reels with VBS over Daiwas especially over the Type-R. He's selling it to me for $200 flat and if I clean and relube his 4 of his reels for this comming fishing season. Who'd pass up on a deal like that? Again, right place right time. :big grin:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:I'm feeling lower than usual after reading this thread. Never had a $100 COMBO before last year. I'm not a student (actually nearing retirement age), but I can't afford the $300-$500 rods and reels either. The most I've paid for a rod was $150 for a used Zillion. Got to use it one day last year before quitting for the season. That was enough to know I'd like a couple more. However, new is too much $$$$ for me. Sad state of affairs when my "high end" is "low end" for everyone else. :crying: Could we please call $100-$200 rods mid-priced? Would make me feel better. :mrgreen:

Given that you are a college student, then I feel you are best served with rods in the $100-$200 range. (Please let me know how you can afford these rods as a student. I'd like to be able to buy them on a regular basis, and I have a steady job. :-({|= ) Wait until you have a good paying job before considering the high end gear. Stay single or you won't be able to afford it even then unless you are making very good money. Or make sure the wife also has a good job. :big grin:

I'd love to somehow come up with enough cash to buy a rod of the Champion's quality for contact baits. Forget the Extreme, Megabass, Evergreen, GLX or NRX. Never going to happen.
Sounds like you have Tacklesiopic Narcrodict Costaloticus Disease. The "Addicted Thread" : http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30680
**What is fishing?**

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:50 pm

I though you were talking about the TDZ TypeR. I know were talking about rods and not reels, but you were talking about price to performance gain and a TDZ TypeR would not be it. Its nice that you can get new GLX for $150 and TypeR for half price, but not every can. Don't get me wrong i do look for deals, but i am usually out of luck. I had 4 zillion rods and iam down to just one and i do agree that are worth their price. It seems that i tend to use my higher end rods more and havnt touch my zillions in a long time. I might just give it to my little brother. I am the opposite and spend more on rods than i do for reels. Lastly when comparing rods and reels it should be with retail prices and not special deals.

I am really excited to get the mint Skeeter ZX225 for $8k and probably the only good deal i gotten in many years. If you shop around you might be able to find one too :D

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Considering I haven't spent more than $200 on any rod, I'd go with the 10 over the 3 or 4 super premium rods. I've got a couple rods I scored on the cheap that retailed for well over $300 & I don't think they're that much better than the $150 rods I have. Although ideally, I'd go with 6 of the $100-200 rods & get one of the super premiums, which I'd like to have in a sensitivity important presentation rod, like a 7' MH senko/jig rod.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Keep an eye out and buy used. There is a pretty good forum here to get good used stuff. ;)
X2 Well said Tok !

tehtuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tehtuna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I would say high end. I only have a couple rods that I would consider low end for stuff like saltwater fishing like the Clarus. The other rods I fish are Cumulus, GLoomis, and a few customs. Customs are the way to go, you can often get exactly what you want for a more reasonable price than a factory high end rod.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Pen3 wrote:I though you were talking about the TDZ TypeR. I know were talking about rods and not reels, but you were talking about price to performance gain and a TDZ TypeR would not be it. Its nice that you can get new GLX for $150 and TypeR for half price, but not every can. Don't get me wrong i do look for deals, but i am usually out of luck. I had 4 zillion rods and iam down to just one and i do agree that are worth their price. It seems that i tend to use my higher end rods more and havnt touch my zillions in a long time. I might just give it to my little brother. I am the opposite and spend more on rods than i do for reels. Lastly when comparing rods and reels it should be with retail prices and not special deals.

I am really excited to get the mint Skeeter ZX225 for $8k and probably the only good deal i gotten in many years. If you shop around you might be able to find one too :D
:lol: Sorry, I thought we were both talking about the new Zillion Type-R. Regardless, just gotta shop and like Tok said, buy used(but with reputable people or sites)not new. Keeps the wife happy and wallet thick (maybe). :big grin:

But your Skeeter..... :shock: very very nice for 8K. =D> =D> =D> Makes me jealous. :big grin:
**What is fishing?**

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:38 am

I think $200 and below is great for reaction type baits, anything over that for that kind of rod is done simply for refinement and whether it is worth it or not is up to the user. I have 2 custom rods, also a GLX and an IMX and they are all "feel" rods and are used for plastics and jigs, I have several Superlight PTs, a Vendetta, and a Cabelas XML Ti for reaction style baits, the only Loomis rod I own for reaction baits is a JBR 753C jerkbait series and that was a little more than $200. If I was able to affor a Steez or an NRX I'd have one simply because I like the refinement and feel of high end sticks but I can make due with middle of the road.
Barlow's Tackle