7'4" HEAVY Cumara

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

7'4" HEAVY Cumara

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Someone with this rod or whom has laid hands on it please give an review.. please..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 7'4" HEAVY Cumara

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:03 am

It's a very nice, multi-purpose heavier powered rod. I know for those who enjoy throwing carolina rigs, which I don't, it makes a very nice C-rig rod. I've pitched 1/2 oz jigs to cover with it, then tossed 3/4 oz football jigs. It handled both tasks very well. It also handled tossing a hollow body frog very well. It has a slightly moderate action that works nicely for larger moving baits. I tossed a 1 oz spinnerbait just to see how it felt and I could definitely see using this rod for that application. I didn't get to throw a super spook with it, but am sure it would have handled that task also. In my limited time with the rod, I do believe it to be one of those rods that can really cover a very wide range of tasks and do them well. Sensitive enough for bottom contact stuff, but moderate enough to handle some larger moving baits. Hope this helps!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 am

Will give it a try after bronzeflys review!
Fish on!

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:58 am

Same here, I've been looking for a versatile heavy jig rod and this sounds like just the ticket with its fast action. How was the balance on this rod?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 am

fishindrummer217 wrote:Same here, I've been looking for a versatile heavy jig rod and this sounds like just the ticket with its fast action. How was the balance on this rod?
Yes indeed. It's a very versatile stick for sure - I really like this rod. It's a little bit tip heavy as one would expect, but by no means uncomfortable at all. I fished it with a Curado E7 and a Chronarch D7 - both felt fine on it in my hands 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Would you say its good for froggin in the slop?

I use to have the Daiwa L&T and that rod was a beast of a rod but sold it to get a Powell 735 and the Powell just doesn't cut it for me. Was gonna pick up another L&T but I saw the Cumara and I think it would fare nicely in my Cumara collection.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 am

legendaryyaj wrote:Would you say its good for froggin in the slop?
It's a good frog rod, but I like something a little more stout for fishing solid mats, but then again, I tend to prefer heavier powered rods in general when powerfishing. I've tossed some hollow bodies around trash piles, willow trees, etc. and it handles them nicely. For all but the heaviest cover, I think it works well!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed May 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Got to hold both of the new rods yesterday and I must say for as mush as they are asking for them, they are way to tip heavy. The 7'4" is just as bad as the Powell 735C frog rod if not worse and I can't imagine punching with the 7'7".

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:43 pm

I've got one on the way and I am just going to crig with it.. and maybe pitch a few with it..
Anybody else have one that can tell me what I can expect from this rod?
I have the 72medhvy/xfast and they are good.. but now that I am adding this rod I feel my
cumara collection is complete.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:22 pm

by the way.I don't intend on using it as a frog rod..
but who knows.. I have a 844 for that... So I just want to see what this rod will bring to the table.
If I willl find it as multi purpose as others..

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Finally got the rod and
it is by far the best of the series of cumaras I have. I have it paired with a 200DSV curado. Like I said the intended purpose was for c-rigs and you can really toss things out. I am very impressed with the rod. I have 20floroclear p-line on it but just recently got a spool of florobraid ( the claim is that its a sinking braid. ).
the rod is just what I was looking for in a c-rig rod but I can use it for anything under my 7'6" flippin stick.
don't get me wrong you can flip/pitch with it but thats just not why i bought it.

I did have a D7 on it but to ME the rod balances out with a heavier reel

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 am

Hey Goldrod, congrats! I'm glad you like it. I think it's a great rod that's often overlooked - along with the 77H. I don't c-rig, but can see with how well it handled 3/4 oz football jigs that it would make a sweet c-rig rod too... The larger D series curado is a great choice for a match as well... enjoy! 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 am

After a few weeks of testing this combo out, I've come to the conclusion that the florobraid is and essential for using swimbaits. I've been using a 8 inch floro leader but I love how the florobraid just sinks. I suggest to anyone using swimbaits to give this line a try. Bronzefly I really couldn't be happier since trying your suggestion to give a few swmbts a try. I think I am going to try a frog and a toad and get the feel of that on this rod.