Med action Zillion casting rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Med action Zillion casting rod

Post by JWR075 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:19 pm

I see the rod rated down to 1/8th of an ounce, so has anyone tried this rod with weightless plastics?

Carlos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Med action Zillion casting rod

Post by Carlos » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:57 pm

I use it almost exclusively for 5" senkos. Very nice rod.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:49 pm

I have both the Medium 6'6" and 7'0" Extra Fast rods. I am able to cast 1/8 ounce jig head 30-40 yards max on my Alphas ito 103 Ai. I can flip with the 7'0" with 1/8 oz about 15yards to 20yards max (10yrds to15yrds consistently). But the catch is I have ABEC9 bearings in my Alphas. With weightless plastics - which would be more heavy it should be no problem. I have also thrown 1oz+ spinner baits and both rods load up very well for being rated only up to 5/8oz. Zillion rods are IMO, a bit heavier than advertise. These Medium rods feel more like a Medium Heavy but not quite there either - its an inbetween. I am very surprised these rods can throw lighter lures due to its heavier feel - but I love it. I am an XFast tip guy when it comes to Trigger Rods and where senstivity with a good backbone counts. But all Rod Companies do this with thier own rod rating. There is no standard between all manufacturers. Both rods are perfect for what I need for finesse fishing.

These rods are very light especially if you pair the 6'6" Medium with the Alphas Ito 103....weighs probably under 8oz. The 6'6" Medium Rod probably weighs in under 3oz and feels on par or even lighter than an NRX (I have owned three NRX's). I was very astonished at the weight and lightness of the combo. it is really just that light yet stout at the same time (Thus the NRX Reference).

One thing about the Zillion Rods that I have learned to love and see why they are designed for the Zillions, is the Zion Reel Seat. As weird as it looks, TT's review is exactly that of what I felt as well - its very comfortable. Not only that but my Fuego which sits higher than my Curado 200E7, will sit lower with the Zion reel seat. The Zion Reel Seat design lets the reel sit closer to the blank than any rods I have held or put a reel on. I tried putting my Fuego onto my Cumara rod and immediatly noticed the difference. My Fuego would sit up higher and palming is a bit higher as well. When I threw it back onto the Zillion rods, it felt perfect, easier to palm, and lower. Just for kicks and gigles I tried my Curado 200E7 on the Zillion Rod and wow, with the design of the Curado being probably the lowest in height reel I have owned, the Curado 200E7 and Zion Reel seat made my Curado feel as if it was just a small bump on the rod compared to the Fuego. I can only imagine a Steez Reel or Pixy on these Zillion rods.

I plan on getting a Zillion 7'6" Flipping stick to add to my Crucial Flippin Stick. But the one rod I will probably get in a few days here is the TDZL701XHFB 7'0" Extra Heavy Zillion Rod. This will be my primary frog rod and perhaps used for punching. For the Extra Heavy that it is, it feels more like a MH to Heavy rod - completely opposite. I was impressed with how light this rod was as well yet superb backbone.

Overall, you will find the Zion Reel Seat of the Zillion Rods a perfect design for your Zillion Reel. Together they are like Ketchup and Fries, White on Rice, etc..

I will be doing a full fishing day with these rods...Today and should be able to add more to this.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:00 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:I can flip with the 7'0" with 1/8 oz about 15yards to 20yards max (10yrds to15yrds consistently). But the catch is I have ABEC9 bearings in my Alphas.
Wow--you must have extra long arms! Most folks with normal length arms can only draw out enough line to make a 5 yard flip (add about another arm's length if they're double hauling the line). Bearings shouldn't add any distance as the reel should always be engaged when flipping. :)

bimmer
Angler
Angler

Post by bimmer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:00 am

I have the Medium 6'6" Extra Fast rod with the Alphas 103L. Very nice combo, very easy to cast 1/8 oz lures.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 am

I have a Zillion 7' MXF and it a very well made rod. It makes a wonderful light plastics rod. The craftsmanship on mine is excellent, weighs 4.2 oz., and this particular model is very well balanced.

I'm having a little trouble finding an ideal role for it, but I like the rod too much to sell it. I just haven't found it's best role in my lineup, yet..

It does have a nice light tip, but then it transitions into some serious backbone, QUICKLY. Again, it's an ideal light plastics rod, but I already have a BCR803 and MBR842.

IMO, this 7' MXF Zillion has a bit too much mustard for trebles, but I'm tempted to try is on larger rip-baits. Another role it might fall into would be chucking swim jigs and spinnerbaits....

I agree with Buck2thPerch's evaluation. It's an "in-betweener." It's very light and feels like a medium/light rod when you hold it, but that power is really solidly in the medium/heavy realm. I also agree that the TD-Fuego is an ideal fit on the Zillion reel seat. I had planned on moving both this Zillion 7' MXF and my Fuego, but they just seem to compliment each other so well I'm going to undertake some more testing. Maybe today! (raining now, but maybe later)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:19 am

SLM wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:I can flip with the 7'0" with 1/8 oz about 15yards to 20yards max (10yrds to15yrds consistently). But the catch is I have ABEC9 bearings in my Alphas.
Wow--you must have extra long arms! Most folks with normal length arms can only draw out enough line to make a 5 yard flip (add about another arm's length if they're double hauling the line). Bearings shouldn't add any distance as the reel should always be engaged when flipping. :)
No. I am actually average 5'11" normal arms guy.

The way I filp is more of a pitch but yet it is still a flip because I rely on the pendilum swing making the lure stay low and hover above the surface of the water. I hold the rod on my right arm/hand, hold the lure on the left hand but my left hand is by my left side of my waist or higher and not infront of me. I'll drop the lure just like I would infront of me regular flipping, but due to the lure being farther away on my left side, I am able to drop my lure with a pendilum motion down and also make a full forward push side arm flipping motion with my rod. My rod would point up in the sky at about 11 oclock but tilted towards my left side at also 11oclock. When in full motion I find my rod tilts to about 9.5 Oclock to 10Oclock to my left and while my rod points to the sky at 9.5 to10Oclock as well. Its almost a side arm pitch along with the flip but not underhand. This is my long distance flip to under trees, grass holes, weed holes etc.. I call it my "Side Flip". If I don't need the extra distance with flipping, I do the regular flip which gets about 15ft-20ft like you said. When I pitch i get good distances but with the underhand motion of pitching, I find it not as accurate. Flippin is more precise and accurate than pitching. I can also control my flip more. Don't get me wrong pitching is very accurate but flipping with my side flip is just so much more especially when you are targeting a 1ft radius open hole in a very thick weeded/moilfoiled bed from 20yards out or a mere opening along a branchign tree in water surrounded by heavy thick weeds and you cannot get yoru boat close enough to regular flip. I also find if you want more inertia with your pushing motion and pendilum swing during a flip, a rod of 7'6" or longer would be best. I have a 7'6" flipping stick and it out flips my 7footer with more accuracy, precision, and distance.

I have used this Side Flip for about 3-4 years now and alot of my fishing buddies think its weird but when they need the extra distance, they resort to using my technique instead of straight out pitching. I know I cant be the only person who has developed thier own techniques from an original technique. I am pretty sure there are others that have developed techniques such mine if you ask. Heck, I think I am explaining what and how someone Flips. :big grin:
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:34 am

after a full day of drop shots, jigging (from 1/16oz to 3/4oz heads tipped with live minnow), Spinner Biats, and a few Lippless cranks, the Rod is exactly as I oringinally thought it would perform. BUT - one gripe, and a huge gripe. The reel seat's tounge thing is too small and starts to hurt your fingers. By the time I got home my middle finger alon with my ring finger was sore. I mean really sore. During the fishing outing, I started feeling it hurt by 4hours in. After that, I tried various ways to hold the rod so that I did not have to have my fingers gripped onto the little tounge thing. I tried my Cumara Rod and and due to its longer and more flat tounge, its more comfortable. I also asked my brother-in-law who was fishing with me using one of my Cumara Rod if he had any pain on his fingers where this tounge was - and he said no.

Overall, the rod is great just like TT's review but the little tounge on and underneath the reel seat for the handle is by far the most annoying and painful experience. Perhaps it is because I have thick stubby fingers. Someon of smaller hands and slender fingers would probably find no issues. To me this tounge has left a bad taste in my mouth. And to top it off, I have a 6'6" Medium XFast, 7'0" Medium XFast, and a 7'0" MH Fast of these zillion rods. Other than that, sensativity and blank performance rivals that of Gloomis, Shimano, and St.Croix rods.
**What is fishing?**

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:18 pm

would the M action Zillions work well with poppers? I have been eyeing the 6'6" for quite some time now and I am not sure I can hold off any longer.
Instagram @___bradb

Paul W
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul W » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Just to clarify, there are no "medium action" Zillion rods, just 3 medium power models with extra fast actions. I have had the 7 footer for about a year now and absolutely love it! It is extremely light, and extremely balanced. The blank is quite thin but it has tons of power. I caught a 15lb Tarpon on mine a couple weeks ago and it was no problem at all. It has a bit of "tip" so it works great for casting senkos and other smaller plastics, but as mentioned it stiffens up real quick so it's not a great choice for treble hooked baits or tiny finesse hooks. With that said, I do like it somewhat for fishing lipless cranks around grass, however I just play the fish a bit easier than normal so I don't tear the hooks out. It's a great rod for many different techniques with the exception of diving cranks, ripbaits, and topwater. I like a bit softer action for those things...

Paul W
TackleTour Contributing Editor <*)))><

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:27 am

oops.......I think the title of this thread threw me off, I meant M power.
thanks for the info.
Instagram @___bradb

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:but the little tounge on and underneath the reel seat for the handle is by far the most annoying
Bought the 7'6" Flipping right when they came out. Used it for a tourney the next day throwing heavy football jigs all day with it. My fingers were so sore from that stupid "tounge" under the reel seat that it was up for sale the next day. I can't believe they haven't redesigned that POS reel seat yet. ](*,)

Other than that the rod was pretty nice. Reels sit nice and low on it like you said. I have several JDM Steez rods with variants of that reel seat design and they are all very comfortable compared to that goofy design.

Come to think of it, I have a Steez Hustler with that same design/"tounge" but the reel seat is painted and glossy. Much more comfortable on the fingers, so maybe its simply due to the rougher "tacky" texture of the Zaion. :-k

Either way, the Zaion reel seat is NOT comfortable for me anyways. If it was I'd have a boatload of Zillion rods by now. Within certain price points, I may have to trade in my Daiwa hat for an ABU one if the MGX and Villain's live up to the HYPE. :shock: Especially with the seemingly blase' early reviews of Ballistic line.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:41 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:but the little tounge on and underneath the reel seat for the handle is by far the most annoying
Bought the 7'6" Flipping right when they came out. Used it for a tourney the next day throwing heavy football jigs all day with it. My fingers were so sore from that stupid "tounge" under the reel seat that it was up for sale the next day. I can't believe they haven't redesigned that POS reel seat yet. ](*,)

Other than that the rod was pretty nice. Reels sit nice and low on it like you said. I have several JDM Steez rods with variants of that reel seat design and they are all very comfortable compared to that goofy design.

Come to think of it, I have a Steez Hustler with that same design/"tounge" but the reel seat is painted and glossy. Much more comfortable on the fingers, so maybe its simply due to the rougher "tacky" texture of the Zaion. :-k

Either way, the Zaion reel seat is NOT comfortable for me anyways. If it was I'd have a boatload of Zillion rods by now. Within certain price points, I may have to trade in my Daiwa hat for an ABU one if the MGX and Villain's live up to the HYPE. :shock: Especially with the seemingly blase' early reviews of Ballistic line.
Yup, I agree. Though,I have gotten used to the darn little tounge thing since I now own six of these rods. Besides the tounge, the Zillion rods are everybit as good as any rod in its price and I'd have to say even uptowards the $300 rods. As for the Ballistic rods, I have 3 on order and hopefully get a chance to fish them before the weather ices out here. I have the 6"9" MH, 7'4" Frog rod, and the 7'0" MH Spinnerbait Rod comming. I just wished Daiwa didn't put that red color in the blank. That red just throws everything off. But oh well, since I am pairing them up with T3-Ballistic Reels so I suppose they match.
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**What is fishing?**

sktr22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sktr22 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:32 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
I can't believe they haven't redesigned that POS reel seat yet. ](*,)

Especially with the seemingly blase' early reviews of Ballistic line.

I am in the minority, I like the reel seat. I own 7 zillions....well 6.75 seeing how I broke the tip off of one of my flipping sticks. FYI ....rod tips and props do not mix. :evil:

Could you point me to a couple of those blase' reviews...I have yet to find one. I have 9 on order and should get them today ....at the latest hopefully Weds. next week.

Thanks

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:36 am

I've got the 6'3mf, 7'mhf and have been fishing a 7'mxf all year with a variety of baits.
Have been quite pleased with it so far. It did take a little getting used to, due to the reel seat, and at first my fingers were sore from the grip till I stopped gripping it so tightly..
I love the air beam seats on the Steez & Cielo, most comfortable reel seat available imo, but the Zillions rate a close second in my lineup. :D