actual weight of carbonlite?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lefty3244
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

actual weight of carbonlite?

Post by Lefty3244 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 am

I'm thinking of picking up a carbonlite and was just wondering how much these rod weigh. I haven't been able to find any information other than people saying "they are really light", not very helpful. I just noticed them on sale at BPS and they are reasonably priced so of course it screams buy me. One other thing is that I heard a lot about people snapping these on the early models. Have they fixed the problem or should I stay away?

STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: actual weight of carbonlite?

Post by STETSON1B » Mon May 16, 2011 4:44 pm

less than 5.3 ounces is what i have found? i am thinking it's around the carrot stix weight which is about 3.3 or 4 ounces depends on what one you get. i have also read they are very sensitive but that price point is very competitive but it's on sale so it might be a good deal......

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon May 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Wish I could give you an exact weight but unfortunately all I can say is "it's light" :lol:. I have a 7' M/F Carbonlite and it's comparable to the same model Veritas, with a bit less power and much softer tip. The LTB Teaser is listed at 4oz and the Carbonlite feels lighter. To be fair I'm not sure if this is due to better balance (Teaser feels a little tip heavy in my hands) or if the rod actually does weigh less. The St Croix is also a bit more powerful with a stiffer tip.

As far as the rods breaking, I purchased one when they first came out and haven't had any issues. IMO the guides do look a little cheap compared to the SiC guides on a Veritas but I have no real complaints about them. As stated above, the Carbonlite has a much softer tip than any of the Abu rods and is closer to a F Shimano rod than an XF. It's one of the most well balanced, sensitive and (this is where it really pulls ahead of the Abu rods IMO) comfortable rods in the price range.

Lefty3244
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lefty3244 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:36 am

Appreciate the information. I guess I'll just have to purchase one and give it a try. I picked one up and like you said it is light and felt very comfortable in my hands. How is the sensitivity?

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Wed May 18, 2011 4:11 pm

I have the weight of three of them at home, I will post info tomorrow

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Thu May 19, 2011 1:44 pm

carbonlite weights-
7' med. reg guides-3.8 ounces
7' mh micro-4.3 ounces
6'9" mh micro- 3.97 ounces

Johnny morris-
7'6" H 5.8 ounces
7'2" MH 5.01 ounces

Lefty3244
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lefty3244 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 am

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. I just wasn't sure how these rods compared in weight to some more expensive rods. Looks like they compare very well. Going to have to buy one soon.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Fri May 20, 2011 1:56 pm

if you can, go to a BPS and compare rods. the carbonlite makes everything else feel like a club

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Lefty3244 wrote:Appreciate the information. I guess I'll just have to purchase one and give it a try. I picked one up and like you said it is light and felt very comfortable in my hands. How is the sensitivity?
Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time feeling any noticeable difference in sensitivity between the 'good' rods competing around that price range. I don't have any complaints about the Carbonlite and feel it's as sensitive as my Veritas. Comparing the two, the action and ergonomics are the main difference.

Nice to see some actual weights for the rods, good to see my hands could feel the .2oz difference between my 7' M and the LTB teaser :lol:. The model I have balances very well, and while I can't speak for the others, I would assume they do too.