Cumara or St. Croix Avid? Which is more sensitive?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Ridgerunner7
Angler
Angler

Cumara or St. Croix Avid? Which is more sensitive?

Post by Ridgerunner7 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 am

I'm looking to get one of these rods. I'll be mainly vertically fishing in the detroit river with it so excellent sensitivity is a must. Is one substantially better than the other. I might also use it for weightless plastics as I like a short sensitive rod for this technique. I'm looking at the 6'3" medium with xtra fast tip.

Thanks for the help.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cumara or St. Croix Avid? Which is more sensitive?

Post by blakjack23 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 am

I'm a big Croix fan, but I'd have to say the Cumara is probably more sensitive than the Avid. Probably due to the fact that the Cumara is a lot lighter, but the Cumara is a very crisp and sensitive rod.

cmc
Angler
Angler

Post by cmc » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 am

I have both a MH Cumara and a H Avid and I have to say that even though the avid is a heavier action which may deaden sensitivity, I like my cumara way more. I beleive this is attributed to it's weight.

Heavy Action
Angler
Angler

Post by Heavy Action » Tue May 17, 2011 11:31 am

I have owned both brands of rods and my vote goes to the cumara's, but sensitivity is subjective.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue May 17, 2011 12:05 pm

maybe not a totally fair comparison but for 2 seasons I fished a custom SC3 (avid blank) 69MLXF split grip w/ SiC guides side by side w/ a cumara 68MF. these rods had the same guides, line, reels, and bait types(tubes, small plastics on jig heads and flukes). While I loved the cumara, in my hands the st croix was more senstive. I sold the cumara. Both spinning BTW.

But....

I never fished an off the shelf avid spinning rod. so like said above, stock avids will be heavier. My experience was most likely b/c both rods were so close in weight.

Matt

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue May 17, 2011 12:11 pm

I've had both, liked both, still have an Avid. I had another Avid spinning rod jerked out of the boat by a big white bass. I should know better than to leave a white jig hanging over the side of the boat while I try to rig another pole. :doh: :doh:

The Cumara's were probably more sensitive, but I like my Avid spinning rod.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

My vote - Cumara. Cumara is more sensative and lighter than the Avid Series. Cumara are comparable to St.Croix's Legend Tournament Bass rods. Even then the Cumara are better than the St. Croix LTB. I had both Avid and LTB...sold both to get more Cumaras.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:50 pm

The 6'8" M Cumara is really nice...if you don't mind the extra 5 inches over the 6'3". I would choose the Cumara, but the Avid is a very nice rod in that price range. I feel the Avid fishes heavier than a competing 6'6" mediums (I owned multiple 6'6" M in both the Avid and Legend Elite) but the 6'3" is softer...

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue May 17, 2011 2:34 pm

steve1206 wrote: I feel the Avid fishes heavier than a competing 6'6" mediums (I owned multiple 6'6" M in both the Avid and Legend Elite) but the 6'3" is softer...
I found that the 68MF cumara and the avid 69MLXF were very close in power. Croix being faster.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Cumara for sure! I think the Cumara fishes above the ltb also.
Cumara is a great factory rod with a great warranty.

Ridgerunner7
Angler
Angler

Post by Ridgerunner7 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 am

Sweet..thanks guys. I'll pick up the Cumara.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Heavy Action wrote:I have owned both brands of rods and my vote goes to the cumara's,.....
+1. Might be a little late but that is my opinion.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 am

RGMatt wrote: I found that the 68MF cumara and the avid 69MLXF were very close in power. Croix being faster.
I agree. I have a 66MLF LTB spinning rod, and it is lighter and slightly more sensitive and about equal in power to my son's 66MF Crucial. However, I would suspect that a similar Cumara with it's carbon grip and SIC guides would be slightly more sensitive. On the other hand, if the LTB or an Avid had the same SIC guides and minimal carbon grip... I'm betting it would be a toss up. Of course... it doesn't, so the edge for off the shelf probably goes to Cumara.

The nice part about the St. Croix's is that you can buy the blanks and build (or have one built) that is superior to most (if not all) of the "off the shelf" rods.