has anyone retrofitted a factory rod with micro guides?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sweden14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

has anyone retrofitted a factory rod with micro guides?

Post by sweden14 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:45 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted one of their higher-end factory rods with micro guides. If so, was it worth it?

I've been a bit intrigued by these guides but not enough to buy a new rod with them already installed. The thought I had was that adding them to one of my current but lesser-used rods would be an easier entry into this arena. Based on my current lineup, the possible candidates for this conversion are are Dobyns Champion, St Croix Avid or Daiwa Zillion rods

Anyone done similar?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: has anyone retrofitted a factory rod with micro guides?

Post by Tokugawa » Sat May 21, 2011 11:47 am

I know a forum member had his Steez 7'1" Compile-X re-wrapped with micros. That thing felt SICK!

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sat May 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I redid a Loomis GLX spinning rod into a casting rod with micro guides. It has worked out fine so far.
The rod was pictured and discussed in this thread:
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... LX#p232415

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat May 21, 2011 1:39 pm

I had Mattman spiral wrap my BCR802 GLX with Micro guides and it's KILLER!
I'd love to do it to ALL my rods but it ain't cheap......I've got to take a class to learn how to do it.
MegabassUSA.com

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:42 pm

Micro guides arent going to touch any of my rods, but thats just my personal pref. I just think they are plain ugly and i did give it a try with my brothers kistlers, but didn't feel anything worth upgrading to. My MB/EG rods would cry if i put micros on them :crying:

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 am

I have been building and using rods with micro guides since 2008. All my casting rods since then have them as do my spinning rods. I only do the simple spiral for casting rods and I have proved to myself that they work for me and will be "converting" more of my older rods to micros! I replaced the size 6 Fuji fly guides with size 4 on my old P7000 which is a very light power spinning rod and it made a big difference. Try one and decide yourself (and do it spiral while you are at it).