Dobyns 70x vs 73x

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dobyns 70x vs 73x

Post by breezy » Wed May 25, 2011 4:15 pm

I plan on picking up a few rods during the memorial day sales and I'm curious how the actions of 7' Dobyns rods compare to the 7'3? I have a ss733c and 734c and really enjoy the rods, but with my current storage situation the extra length compared to my 7' rods can be a hassle or even complete PITA.

Mainly looking to use these for reaction baits so I'm interested more in the Savvy 703c vs 733c, 704c vs 734c, etc but I would assume if there are any differences the champion models would be similar. Is there a noticeable difference in the action or tip between the different lengths, or are they all comparable? For moving baits I prefer a shorter rod, and with the aforementioned storage issues I'm considering staying at 7' or under for future purchases. Unfortunately the local Dobyns dealer only has 7'3 or 7'4 models. :x

If anyone has some experience with the two lengths I would love to hear it. :D

Also...considering treating myself to a champ 703sf for general spinning use (wacky rig, shaky head, some tubes and maybe an occasional dropshot). Generally around very light cover (except when the lake is flooded--like now), fishing a 4-5" senko, and 1/8oz-1/4oz shaky heads + trick worm. Does the 703sf sound like the right rod or should I consider a 702sf?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns 70x vs 73x

Post by civicrr » Wed May 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Here is my take on the 7' vs 7'3" rods with the Champion series. I can only guess @ the Savvy line.

If you take 3 power rods, say the 703 vs the 733, both end up being 3 power (Med Heavy) in the butt. Both are rated for the same lures. In other words, they have the same tip. In order for those two things to happen, the action has to be just a little bit faster. That makes sense to me. I don't have an appliance that I measured the rods on but I think it is true. If we can take that as a given, the question then becomes, is it a noticeable difference? Having fished the 3 power rods I mentioned above, I can't say that I really noticed it fishing. Or if I did, it wasn't enough of a difference for me to store in memory as important.

On the spinning rod, I think you could go either way based on the lure weights you are talking about. The 702SF would be loaded pretty good with the 5" senko. With the 703SF, the 1/8oz shaky & trick worm will be lightly loaded. Given the conditions you usually fish, I'd probably go with the 702SF. Please note that if you are talking about the Extreme DX702SF Finesse, it is a lighter powered stick than the Savvy or Champion 702SF. I typed the above guessing you were thinking Savvy or Champion series.

HTH :D

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 pm

civicrr wrote:Here is my take on the 7' vs 7'3" rods with the Champion series. I can only guess @ the Savvy line.

If you take 3 power rods, say the 703 vs the 733, both end up being 3 power (Med Heavy) in the butt. Both are rated for the same lures. In other words, they have the same tip. In order for those two things to happen, the action has to be just a little bit faster. That makes sense to me. I don't have an appliance that I measured the rods on but I think it is true. If we can take that as a given, the question then becomes, is it a noticeable difference? Having fished the 3 power rods I mentioned above, I can't say that I really noticed it fishing. Or if I did, it wasn't enough of a difference for me to store in memory as important.

On the spinning rod, I think you could go either way based on the lure weights you are talking about. The 702SF would be loaded pretty good with the 5" senko. With the 703SF, the 1/8oz shaky & trick worm will be lightly loaded. Given the conditions you usually fish, I'd probably go with the 702SF. Please note that if you are talking about the Extreme DX702SF Finesse, it is a lighter powered stick than the Savvy or Champion 702SF. I typed the above guessing you were thinking Savvy or Champion series.

HTH :D
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. :D I've seen other manufacturers where even a small difference in length completely changes the action and feel of the rod. Since I can't find any of the shorter rods locally I didn't want a surprise :lol:

And yes, I was referring to the Champion 703sf. As always, greatly appreciate the feedback! I'm currently throwing all of the lures on a very stout Med rod and I probably fish a senko (wacky or t-rig weightless) the majority of the time. I will see if I can find a 702sf and make a few casts with my reel to compare the two.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed May 25, 2011 8:04 pm

breezy wrote:
And yes, I was referring to the Champion 703sf. As always, greatly appreciate the feedback! I'm currently throwing all of the lures on a very stout Med rod and I probably fish a senko (wacky or t-rig weightless) the majority of the time. I will see if I can find a 702sf and make a few casts with my reel to compare the two.
On my spinning rods, I always use braid with a leader. Makes a difference when setting the hook on a t-rig weedless plastic.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:54 pm

civicrr wrote: On my spinning rods, I always use braid with a leader. Makes a difference when setting the hook on a t-rig weedless plastic.
I also use braid with a leader on all my spinning rods (might have one spare spool with mono laying around) but mainly for line management. Were you saying that is why you prefer a 2 power rod for those techniques?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 pm

I too like 7' rods that will fit in a rod locker or in my case the rod rack in the 7ft campershell/bed of my truck. I have a dobyns 734 because I really like it, all my other rods for now are 7ft or under. I usually just keep my rods in my garage strapped to the deck of my boat, which my 734 will fit. So if i go fishing locally I can take the 734 to the lake and back home with no problem. But If i go camping and fishing for the week, I prefer just to bring the 7ft or under rods that fit in my rod rack, so I don't have to leave them out unsecured. So just a thought, for longer rods, that wont fit in the rod locker, strapping them to the deck of the boat. I don't have an actual rod locker in my boat, so I usually put my rods in the vertical rod racks that I installed on the front of the consoles on my boat so I'm not stepping all over them on deck when I'm fishing.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu May 26, 2011 6:07 pm

breezy wrote:
civicrr wrote: On my spinning rods, I always use braid with a leader. Makes a difference when setting the hook on a t-rig weedless plastic.
I also use braid with a leader on all my spinning rods (might have one spare spool with mono laying around) but mainly for line management. Were you saying that is why you prefer a 2 power rod for those techniques?
Sorry, should have been more clear. I actually prefer to use the lighter power rod when I can. IMO, the lighter rod fishes the light weight baits better - both casts & bite detection. I think using braid allows me to use the 2 power rod ,instead of the 3 power, and still get a quality hookset. Since the braid doesn't have the stretch of fluoro or mono, it helps with driving the hook through the plastic and into the fish. With stretchy line, I might not always be able to.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat May 28, 2011 1:35 pm

civicrr wrote:
breezy wrote:
Sorry, should have been more clear. I actually prefer to use the lighter power rod when I can. IMO, the lighter rod fishes the light weight baits better - both casts & bite detection. I think using braid allows me to use the 2 power rod ,instead of the 3 power, and still get a quality hookset. Since the braid doesn't have the stretch of fluoro or mono, it helps with driving the hook through the plastic and into the fish. With stretchy line, I might not always be able to.
A 2 powered rod with braid gives the rod more range for sure then the same rod with mono. In fact, the only time I ever have a proble with a 2 powered rod and plastics is when I'm fishing over heavy vegitation and the fish can take you down into the hydrilla. This is a very good technique suggestion by Civicrr!