cumara reaction 7"11"mhxf

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

cumara reaction 7"11"mhxf

Post by johns » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:46 am

I read the review and most of it was about how heavy a bait it could throw. I'm interested in that aspect of it because I will be throwing the hard gill and buzzjets etc.,but want to know about how it is with the lower weights like the Ima Roumba and 3/8 oz baits. Anybody have any thoughts on that? I've been looking at this rod for a while now and with the TW sale I might pull the trigger on it. I think my zillion type r would be great on it. thanks john

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: cumara reaction 7"11"mhxf

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:59 am

I've thrown down to XR50 sized rattle baits on this rod with braid around grass and didn't have any trouble, the XR 25 was a little more challenging though. It works out great with 3/8 and 1/2 oz buzzbaits when you're in open water and want really long casts. I tend to use this rod on the lower end of it's weight spectrum most of the time for rattlebaits, smaller to mid-sized paddletails, and buzzbaits - but I'm fishing these baits around heavy cover and I like the power it has and the length to make really long casts. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase, good luck 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:49 pm

johns wrote:I read the review and most of it was about how heavy a bait it could throw. I'm interested in that aspect of it because I will be throwing the hard gill and buzzjets etc.,but want to know about how it is with the lower weights like the Ima Roumba and 3/8 oz baits. Anybody have any thoughts on that? I've been looking at this rod for a while now and with the TW sale I might pull the trigger on it. I think my zillion type r would be great on it. thanks john
i recently acquired this rod for this season, mainly for paddletails, buzzbaits, vibration baits etc, but i started throwing swim jigs on it and love it 8-) I can throw a 1/4oz jig (w/ skirt and grub) a mile. Overall I am very pleased with this rod, has a great backbone, but enough tip to let the fish eat it. I think you would like it, but I am pretty sure that the TW sale does NOT apply to shimano stuff :-s
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 am

I have been using this rod for deep cranks for about a year now. Love it! It is my dedicated deep crank rod paired with a Chronarch D5.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:13 pm

DougL58 wrote:I have been using this rod for deep cranks for about a year now. Love it! It is my dedicated deep crank rod paired with a Chronarch D5.
You're using the extra fast version for deep cranks? Interesting... I use the CUC711MH (non-extra fast) for deep cranks and love it, but the XF model just doesn't do deep cranks nearly as well for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Aside the longer than needed rear handle...this is a great blank...it was a great rod with both my BBS and Zillion 50th. I went with a custom 907 MHX for a little more power and to have a shorter rear grip made.

1/4 oz to 1.25oz rattlebaits, paddletails, spinnerbaits, cranks, buzzbaits, big wake baits....lot of techs can be used on this blank...wish Shimano would provide the blank for a custom!

"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:You're using the extra fast version for deep cranks? Interesting... I use the CUC711MH (non-extra fast) for deep cranks and love it, but the XF model just doesn't do deep cranks nearly as well for me.
I have really liked this rod, even better than Dobyns CS 805 CB RM I tried. I did not get my hands on the regular 7' 11" though... maybe I should !

Casca
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Casca » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:06 pm

johns wrote: I will be throwing the hard gill and buzzjets etc.
I'm going to assume that you'll be tossing the larger buzzjet.I just purchased this rod thinking I might be tossing the larger Buzzjets,DD22's or a Super Spook,maybe a Hard Gill with it. Not happening. The tip is way too fast to work these baits properly IMO. You'll be able to cast these baits a good distance but you won't be able to control the baits well. I think the rod is much better suited for baits in the 3/8 - 1/2 oz. range. I would definitely get the 7-11mh reg. if you're set on the Cumara. Let me offer this suggestion. A Okuma Big Bait rod 7'-11" mh. It's rated 3/4 - 3oz. but it's great for the bigger buzzjets,hard gills,super spooks and 6" injection lunker punkers. This is my rod for these baits and that won't change soon. Good luck. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Gu ... GSBBR.html
regards,
Casca

coryjames
Angler
Angler

Post by coryjames » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 am

have any of you tried throwing a frog with this rod?im sure it would cast it great,just wonder on the hook set.im using the cumara 7'2 MH \XF now.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 am

coryjames wrote:have any of you tried throwing a frog with this rod?im sure it would cast it great,just wonder on the hook set.im using the cumara 7'2 MH \XF now.
It makes a fine "ribbit" toad rod, no issue at all with hooksets but I haven't thrown hollow body frogs with it...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 am

I have this rod and use it for my 5-6" paddletails and baits as big as a 6" G2 Bull Shad. In fact, this is my favorite rig tossing the floating G2 (1.85 oz) with a Z2020SHL. Cast like a dream and allows me to slow wake it or make it dance on top. With the Z and the Type R it balances great. I consider this combo my easy going mid swimbait setup. I have a Dobyns 795ML available and prefer this rod. Biggest fish caught so far is 4 lbs but it manhandled it. Don't even know when 1 lbs are on. Lol.

I haven't tossed anything lighter then 1 oz as it was not my intention to use it for that. I did get the 711M for that purpose and specifically for 3/8 oz. Haven't used it yet but based on the MH I'm guessing that is a better choice. Core 101/51 is going on that rod. I have my Type R now on the MH for 3/4-1.25 oz lures. The XF is mostly for 1.5 to 2 oz.

The MH is a better rod for the DD22 and actually made for it incase some where thinking about that tech.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I am looking at this rod to bomb skinny dippers using gama weighted size 4 or 5 EWG hooks in medium to heavy cover . Do you guys think it will work well? I read a lot of guys saying it works well with paddletails just not sure which paddletails they are talking about. And I am also interested in using it for the other recommended techniques.

thanks in advance.
Instagram @___bradb

rbredefe
Angler
Angler

Post by rbredefe » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:22 am

I love to see the eight foot class rods get the love that they deserve in bass fishing. I worked in a sporting goods store in the mid-nineties and people looked at me like I was crazy when I said they presented huge advantages over shorter sticks.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:03 am

biggs wrote:I am looking at this rod to bomb skinny dippers using gama weighted size 4 or 5 EWG hooks in medium to heavy cover . Do you guys think it will work well? I read a lot of guys saying it works well with paddletails just not sure which paddletails they are talking about. And I am also interested in using it for the other recommended techniques.

thanks in advance.
I haven't tried the MHXF for that technique but have used the MHF and it works fine. I've actually purchased the MF for weightless lures and it casts them much better with plenty of power to handle any fish. These 711 rods have a lot of power.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:59 am

biggs wrote:I am looking at this rod to bomb skinny dippers using gama weighted size 4 or 5 EWG hooks in medium to heavy cover . Do you guys think it will work well? I read a lot of guys saying it works well with paddletails just not sure which paddletails they are talking about. And I am also interested in using it for the other recommended techniques.

thanks in advance.
Absolutely - I toss 5" and 6" Basstrix around pretty heavy grass using 50lb braid and it works great for this technique. I also toss 1/2 oz buzzbaits, ribbit toads, and even some other smaller swimbaits with it as well. Hope this helps!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap