cumara reaction 7"11"mhxf

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: cumara reaction 7"11"mhxf

Post by breezy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 pm

This rod has interested me for a while and I enjoy seeing all the techniques it's being used for. I was originally looking for a rod to bomb hollowbelly paddletails in very light cover but they have so many rods very similar in the lineup I kept losing track of which model people were referring to when listing techniques :lol:

Does anyone think the 711 MH/XF rod would do paddletails (skinny dipper/basstrix on 1/6-1/4oz weighted hook) along with 1/4-3/8 swimjigs, open cover 3/4oz spinnerbaits, etc? What about jigs, specifically 3/4oz football jigs in deep water? Looking at the ratings it seems to be a perfect open water football jig rod but why is it in the reaction series? Is there something I'm missing here about the rod's power/action that doesn't show in its stats?

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:53 am

biggs wrote:I am looking at this rod to bomb skinny dippers using gama weighted size 4 or 5 EWG hooks in medium to heavy cover . Do you guys think it will work well? I read a lot of guys saying it works well with paddletails just not sure which paddletails they are talking about. And I am also interested in using it for the other recommended techniques.

thanks in advance.

Hey Brad

I was thinking the exact same thing. You saw them on special at Sail eh? For now I am using the 6'9' MHXF Zillion rod for tossing my skinny dippers. I will probably pick up the Cumara on Sat and then move my Zillion to a tight cover pitching stick. If I end up buying it - ill be using it on Big Rideau September 17th. Ill let you know how it goes.

Mike D

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:06 am

I haven't fished 3/4 oz. football jigs, nor have I fished any 1/4 oz swim jigs on this rod, but I have fished 3/8 to 1/2 oz swim jigs with braid in heavy grass cover paired with a Calais DC7 and it handled those techniques just fine. Thinking about how the rod feels in hand, I don't see why it wouldn't handle a 3/4 oz football jig?? It's just something I've not considered throwing on this rod as I have a couple of favorites for that technique already... It really is a great stick and very versatile. If you guys have found a good deal on it, I'd jump all over it. 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap