Glass for swimbaits??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Glass for swimbaits??

Post by biggs » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Every now and then I have read on here people saying that they will use their glass rod for swimbaits. What type of swimbaits are they taking about? hollow bellies? soft skinny dipper types? smaller hard swimbaits? Are there any advantages to using a glass rod compared to lets say a 704c or 744c (what I have been using).

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Instagram @___bradb

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Glass for swimbaits??

Post by T Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:10 am

I use a 765 Glass for 5 inch hard swimbaits (bull Shad) I guess it would work for a single hook swimbait like a hollow belly but for the simple fact that you need to pull it through plastic it wouldn't be my first choice. I like the rod for the simple reason is that it's versatile with alot of different baits. Spinnerbaits, swimbaits, traps, topwater, cranks, jerkbaits etc etc. I like the softness as well for fighting the fish.
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

BringItOn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BringItOn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 pm

I think i would be stating the obvious by saying its the "give" of glass, allowing the fish time to inhale the lure.

Fish arrow makes glass SB rods... uses it for floating SBs.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:12 pm

I would add that braid can help with the hooksetting speed/power of a single big hook in a lure like a hollow body. This said, the bottom portion of certain S Glass rods are as powerful as their graphite counterparts.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the info.
I should have thought that it might not be best for single hook swimbaits since you would have to drive the hook through the plastic and into the mouth. Makes sense!

Thanks again.
Instagram @___bradb