Dobyns SS ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishntime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns SS ?

Post by Fishntime » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Ok so I recently purchased a savvy series 734c and I mounted my Zillion 50th anniversary edition on the rod. But, when I was fishing this combo today I noticed that when I had a fish on, the reel seemed to twist a little bit in the reel seat! Is this a problem with the Dobyns rods or is it just my luck to have a bad reel seat? Any suggestions on how I could fix the problem? Or should I just contact Dobyns and have them replace the rod? Thanks for your input.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns SS ?

Post by falcon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Probably a bad reel seat heard of this happening before on other rods. Play around with it to make sure though.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:11 am

I had the same problem on a savvy 734, the reel would wobble in the reel seat unless you cranked it down real tight.
I ended up taking it back and later getting a champion 734. None of the champions or extremes have this problem.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

jchez444
Angler
Angler

Post by jchez444 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:12 am

i just hAd the exact thing hppen to me recently with the same rod. i contacted dobyns and it was a bad reel seat. they were going to take it back and just send me a new one but i brought it back to the retailer and they replaced it. So far i have the 734ss and 735ss and been very happy. i am going to move up to the next higher models and add another 734 and maybe another 735 or a 733. wsho knows.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:18 am

I have had this problem with several rods from different manufacturers and a few custom rods with no foregrip. I took a piece of electrical tape or plumbers tape and wrapped it around the ends of the reel foot until it was tight when locked down. usually only took a wrap or two. I also use the plumbers tape to wrap my spools with to keep water out. Comes in really handy.

I have also found that some reel foots are wider and thicker than others and if you lockdown too tight and then change to another reel with smaller foot, sometimes the reel seat will retain the shape of the larger reel. this happened to me going from the blue quantum tour editions to the abu garcia revos.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:52 am

Steve Williams wrote:I have had this problem with several rods from different manufacturers
I have too but not a Dobyns. Reel seat manufacturer problem I'll bet.

Have you checked the reel seat with another reel? From the other posts, sounds like Dobyns got some bad seats. If still is loose with other reels, I'd exchange it with the dealer (or Dobyns if the dealer doesn't take care of it - They should though!).

Personally, I wouldn't like putting tape on my reel foot. The seat should work right. I'm betting Dobyns thinks so too. :D

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am

That's odd, all of my Dobyns have no issues...except my ss734c. :-k Like a few others the reel doesn't completely lock down and will move a tiny amount unless I REALLY tighten it down. I had just chalked it up to the revo that's been mounted on it since purchase and fishing braid w/ locked drag. It doesn't bother me that much but I may give them a call and see what they say.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm

I have had the same issue on a couple of occasions with the same Fuji ECS reel seat. I had to crank them down real tight to keep from wobbling. After some use the problem went away. Seems like it needed some streching :lol:

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:03 am

i have the same problem with SS 735 and a Zillion, y must put tape on the reel foot to solve the problem ](*,)
-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

Fishntime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fishntime » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Ok so I contacted Dobyns today and was told I had to ship the rod to them to inspect it. So I guess that's what I'll have to do. At least They are willing to replace it.

chris c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chris c » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

If you will place a small piece of electrical tape on the front and back of the reel seat, it will eliminate the play. This can happen with any rod, from any manufacturer. I think this would be alot easier/cheaper for you than shipping it back, as it will cost you around $20 to ship it.

Chris