NRX 854C JWR Help needed!!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

NRX 854C JWR Help needed!!!

Post by wirinhar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:43 am

Hi Everyone here at Tackle Tour,

I have been lurking here for sometime but this is my first post.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting the NRX 854C JWR ( any other USA rods) which I will be using along the mangroves for barramundis and mangrove Jacks. But of course before I pull a trigger and I would like to know all the inputs from the experts here.

Thank you all in advance,
WW

ps. I use crank baits and top lures.

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NRX 854C JWR Help needed!!!

Post by Stephan Bohm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:23 pm

As long as you use lures within it's reccomended range it will handle fairly big fish. I own the old GLX version of that rod and it is really best for plastics and pitching. It was pressed into muskie fishing more than once and it survived, but defenitly wasn't ideal for the lures I will normaly throw with other heavy powered rods. I don't know how large the lures you throw are, but if they are usually over 1oz go with a different rod. Recoil guides are also unbareable with braid as the noise is a bit much. Muskies are the largest, strongest fighting fish around up here (closest comparison to largish saltwater fish) and a 20lber was the biggest I landed with this rod. It handled the fish admirably but the tip just isn't designed for heavy baits. Flourocarbon, plastics, and small moving baits suit it well with the bonus ability to tackle large fish plus near perfect ergonomics & sensitivity. Work to it's strenghts and it will perform for you.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 pm

wirinhar wrote:
Are you saying that you plan to use this rod for cranking & topwater? While I honestly haven't used many NRX casting rods, I don't think I'd recommend any of them for those uses. Seems to me that they are all designed for contact fishing. Hopefully some guys really familiar with the line will post responses.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Stephan Bohm wrote:As long as you use lures within it's reccomended range it will handle fairly big fish. I own the old GLX version of that rod and it is really best for plastics and pitching. It was pressed into muskie fishing more than once and it survived, but defenitly wasn't ideal for the lures I will normaly throw with other heavy powered rods. I don't know how large the lures you throw are, but if they are usually over 1oz go with a different rod. Recoil guides are also unbareable with braid as the noise is a bit much. Muskies are the largest, strongest fighting fish around up here (closest comparison to largish saltwater fish) and a 20lber was the biggest I landed with this rod. It handled the fish admirably but the tip just isn't designed for heavy baits. Flourocarbon, plastics, and small moving baits suit it well with the bonus ability to tackle large fish plus near perfect ergonomics & sensitivity. Work to it's strenghts and it will perform for you.
Thanks for the info.

Regards,
WW

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 pm

civicrr wrote:
wirinhar wrote:
Are you saying that you plan to use this rod for cranking & topwater? While I honestly haven't used many NRX casting rods, I don't think I'd recommend any of them for those uses. Seems to me that they are all designed for contact fishing. Hopefully some guys really familiar with the line will post responses.
Yes, Sir. I am planning to use for cranking and top water lures and of course the boatman will provide me live shrimps and that will be the last bait that I am going to use.

I am having 803C JWR at the moment and I was told that it won't be good enough cause the surrounding with lots of woods, structures, barnacles and so on and I might not be able to pull the fish out once the fish is on. So by having a heavy rod such as 854C JWR, I could use it not only for mangroves but also I will be able to use it for fishing giant snakeheads here in Malaysia.

Hope to hear more inputs from experts.

Regards,
WW

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:01 am

Just reread the whole thread. Honestly, other than reading a few posts & watching a few videos, I don't have much exposure to snakehead or bari fishing.

When you say cranks & topwater, what size (length & weight) are you talking about? What size hooks come on those lures? Reading about the species your fishing for, I'm thinking you might not be throwing a 1/2oz squarebill. :D

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:15 am

civicrr wrote:Just reread the whole thread. Honestly, other than reading a few posts & watching a few videos, I don't have much exposure to snakehead or bari fishing.

When you say cranks & topwater, what size (length & weight) are you talking about? What size hooks come on those lures? Reading about the species your fishing for, I'm thinking you might not be throwing a 1/2oz squarebill. :D
Hi Civicrr,

I am newbie and that's why I am here to learn and of course the more I read, the more things I am going to try but of course, I don't consider throwing a 1/2oz squarebill ;).

I just got my self a few of rapala maxraps (13cm & 1/2oz), halco poppers (16 gram), Flapslap SW (7.7cm & 3/8oz), Pop Max (7.8 cm & 1/2oz), Mr-X Cyclone (5.55cm & 1/2oz) and so on.
For now, I will just leave the treble hooks that come originally with it.

Anyway thank you so much for the reply and hope to hear more inputs.

Regards,
WW

capesmallie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capesmallie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 am

I am guessing you are looking for a rod to turn fish around and get them away from mangrove branches and other snags. If you are set on an NRX the the 873 would be best suited out of the whole line up.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:00 pm

WW,
Actually, you are throwing the same or very similar lures to what we'd throw for largemouth bass around here. I thought you might be tossing some really big baits.

IMO, while there are plenty of other GLoomis models that would work really well, there really isn't a NRX that would be a best 'fit' for those baits. Unfortunately, I've only used owned one of their crankbait specific rods. It sounds like you're gonna want a more powerful stick than that one. How big are fish you might catch?

PS even if I don't have the answer to your question, by answering mine, you'll have a better chance at a good response from others. :D

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 pm

capesmallie wrote:I am guessing you are looking for a rod to turn fish around and get them away from mangrove branches and other snags. If you are set on an NRX the the 873 would be best suited out of the whole line up.
Yes, Sir. You are certainly correct.I am trying to turn fish around out of those places.

Thank you for the suggestion on 873C and what will be your second suggestion in NRX line up?

Thank you in advance,
WW

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:14 pm

The NRX lineup are designed first and foremost as "bottom contact" technique specific rods. JWR - means "Jig and Worm Rod" - There are outstanding rods in the Loomis family that would better suit this situation in my opinion. Based on the size, weight, and type of lures you're planning to use, I would be taking a very hard look at the MBR 843 or MBR 844 GLX. They have the power, sensitivity, and flexibility all in one package to toss your moving baits as well as effectively present some of the live bait you've mentioned. Due to the giant snakehead and some of the heavier cover you'll face, I'd lean toward the MBR 844 GLX personally.

What reel are you looking to use? I'm guessing that you will be using braided line?
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:17 pm

civicrr wrote:WW,
Actually, you are throwing the same or very similar lures to what we'd throw for largemouth bass around here. I thought you might be tossing some really big baits.

IMO, while there are plenty of other GLoomis models that would work really well, there really isn't a NRX that would be a best 'fit' for those baits. Unfortunately, I've only used owned one of their crankbait specific rods. It sounds like you're gonna want a more powerful stick than that one. How big are fish you might catch?

PS even if I don't have the answer to your question, by answering mine, you'll have a better chance at a good response from others. :D
Hi Civicrr,

To be frank with you, I have never been to mangroves for fishing but bird photography. I will if I have to toss big shrimps or mackerel with a big sinker but that is the last thing I will have to do.

"How big the fish that I am going to get?" and that is the questions that I have been asking the local experts. The size varies but it is very hard to handle/turn around the fish. I need not only a powerful stick but great sensitivity so that i will be able to bring them up.

I have spent most of the time bottom fishing at kelong (platform) with St. Croix Avid 6', 10-20lb + abu revo stx + 25 lb braid with 30 lbs fluorocarbon for the top leader and once a big fish is on, I only have 5 seconds to enjoy and suddenly getting stuck. Well...I am a newbie and I refuse to use handline fishing with 80-100 lb mono :).

Don't mind sharing what the crankbait specific rod you've used?.

Thank you,
WW

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:45 pm

bronzefly wrote:The NRX lineup are designed first and foremost as "bottom contact" technique specific rods. JWR - means "Jig and Worm Rod" - There are outstanding rods in the Loomis family that would better suit this situation in my opinion. Based on the size, weight, and type of lures you're planning to use, I would be taking a very hard look at the MBR 843 or MBR 844 GLX. They have the power, sensitivity, and flexibility all in one package to toss your moving baits as well as effectively present some of the live bait you've mentioned. Due to the giant snakehead and some of the heavier cover you'll face, I'd lean toward the MBR 844 GLX personally.

What reel are you looking to use? I'm guessing that you will be using braided line?
Hi Bronzefly,

Thank you so much for the info and I Just check with G-loomis AD (+300km away), the MBR844C-GLX is available :) and before I pull the trigger, will you please give me more inputs on the comparison with Orochi F5 (10-25lb) which I have at the moment. I don't know what excuses that I am going to give this time to my wife ](*,)

I have 2 BC at the moment, shimano antares dc7 and abu garcia revo stx and I am using spiderwire braided line.

Thank you for the reply and I have read many of your comments.

Regards,
WW

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 am

wirinhar wrote: Thank you so much for the info and I Just check with G-loomis AD (+300km away), the MBR844C-GLX is available :) and before I pull the trigger, will you please give me more inputs on the comparison with Orochi F5 (10-25lb) which I have at the moment. I don't know what excuses that I am going to give this time to my wife ](*,)

I have 2 BC at the moment, shimano antares dc7 and abu garcia revo stx and I am using spiderwire braided line.
Hi wirinhar,
If I had to guess, you would be talking about the F5 69 Chimaera... great rod! It's also a multi-talented stick that can handle a wide range of presentations. The MBR 844 GLX is obviously a little longer, a little faster in action, and also has more backbone than the Chimaera. It still has enough flex for your moving baits, is very sensitive, and has an impressive amount of power.

The combination of braid and heavy powered rod can be an issue with regard to pulling the hooks out of a large fish, but it sounds like that in your situation, if you don't pull them out, they're going into very heavy cover and you'll lose them regardless. I'd rather have the power to move the fish away from the cover and take my chances on the hooks holding. I recommend Owner Hyperwire 2x treble hooks - the ST-41's are heavier than traditional hooks, so keep that in mind as may have an impact on some lighter baits, but they are STRONG!!
As far as excuses to satisfy your wife, you're on your own there! :lol: Good luck and I hope this helps!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:27 am

bronzefly wrote:
wirinhar wrote: Thank you so much for the info and I Just check with G-loomis AD (+300km away), the MBR844C-GLX is available :) and before I pull the trigger, will you please give me more inputs on the comparison with Orochi F5 (10-25lb) which I have at the moment. I don't know what excuses that I am going to give this time to my wife ](*,)

Hi wirinhar,
If I had to guess, you would be talking about the F5 69 Chimaera... great rod! It's also a multi-talented stick that can handle a wide range of presentations. The MBR 844 GLX is obviously a little longer, a little faster in action, and also has more backbone than the Chimaera. It still has enough flex for your moving baits, is very sensitive, and has an impressive amount of power.

The combination of braid and heavy powered rod can be an issue with regard to pulling the hooks out of a large fish, but it sounds like that in your situation, if you don't pull them out, they're going into very heavy cover and you'll lose them regardless. I'd rather have the power to move the fish away from the cover and take my chances on the hooks holding. I recommend Owner Hyperwire 2x treble hooks - the ST-41's are heavier than traditional hooks, so keep that in mind as may have an impact on some lighter baits, but they are STRONG!!
As far as excuses to satisfy your wife, you're on your own there! :lol: Good luck and I hope this helps!
Hi Bronzefly,

Thank you so much for recommending on the 2x treble hooks and may i know what ST-41 means???.

For the rod, I am sorry that I didn't give you the full spec and it was Orochi F5-68X4. Please help me to compare with MBR 844C-GLX and thank you in advance.

Regards,
WW