Rod for PX type R

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod for PX type R

Post by Jraymond » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I recently purchased a PX type R reel for throwing tubes with 1/8- 1/4oz insert heads on the Susquehanna river for smallies. I was planning on putting the reel on a 6'10" cumulus but im now having second thoughts. Any ideas on a rod that might better suit this application?
Owner www.susquehannasmallmouthguides.com

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod for PX type R

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Why the second thoughts on the Cumulus?

The NRX 852c JWR is one heck of a sweet small tube/small jig rod!! It would be a fantastic match for the PX68, and look sharp with a set of cork knobs...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jraymond » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 pm

bronzefly wrote:Why the second thoughts on the Cumulus?

The NRX 852c JWR is one heck of a sweet small tube/small jig rod!! It would be a fantastic match for the PX68, and look sharp with a set of cork knobs...
My cumulus rod is rated at 1/4- 3/4oz.. Not sure if it will load right once the water cools down and I start throwing around 2.5" tubes with 1/8th heads.
I thought about another NRX but im afraid the red accents on the reel and the blue guide wraps on the rod wont look right. Its really a shame I put this much thought into the color of my combos lol.. also 6'10" is the absolute maximum length I would like to go since I often find myself having to make sort accurate casts under over hangs. All I own is Loomis, Shimano and st croix rods. I really wouldn't mind trying something new but I don't have any hands on experience with any other brand rods which makes it very hard to pull the trigger..

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Jraymond wrote:My cumulus rod is rated at 1/4- 3/4oz.. Not sure if it will load right once the water cools down and I start throwing around 2.5" tubes with 1/8th heads.
I thought about another NRX but im afraid the red accents on the reel and the blue guide wraps on the rod wont look right. Its really a shame I put this much thought into the color of my combos lol.. also 6'10" is the absolute maximum length I would like to go since I often find myself having to make sort accurate casts under over hangs. All I own is Loomis, Shimano and st croix rods. I really wouldn't mind trying something new but I don't have any hands on experience with any other brand rods which makes it very hard to pull the trigger..
The tip is pretty dang fast on your Cumulus - paired with that reel and the right line, it should handle your smaller tubes, but I understand wanting something a touch softer. I thought the rod fished a little lighter than it's ratings - almost like a medium...

As far as the clashing colors, that's easy. Have your reel painted! :lol: Considering your length restrictions, I'd back off to the NRX 802c JWR, though you still face the same "clashing" color issue. The performance of that combo would be fantastic...

The Cumara 68MXF might be another good rod to consider - great smaller tube/jig rod, meets your length requirements, color works with your reel, great warranty, won't break the bank... The new Crucial rods look awfully sharp too...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ARH1956
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ARH1956 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I've have a PX Type-R on a Z-Bone LE-1 ML 7"6" rod & it's a sweet finesse combination. My second PX Type-R has been on a 6'5" Cumulus, NRX 802C, and is now on a newly acquired Dobyns 701-C & all of these do a good job. Try it with the lighter weights on the Cumulus before moving on it might be the ticket for you.

PS: Sorry I didn't read your second post concerning maximum rod length. If your Cumulus is not acceptable, the NRX 802C, a shorter Z-Bone or the 6"5" Cumulus are options to consider.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Give the CR721 a try, Its an awesome finesse rod and alot of fun to fish with. Its only 6ft, easy to make accurate casts under overhangs, and will easily cast 1/8 oz heads with 2 1/2" tubes with the PX type R. I have the px 68 and can cast 1/16 oz crappie spinnerbaits with the cr721/px 68 combo. I was also thinking of getting the 6'10" cumulus but ended up getting a great deal on a bcr 802 glx.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

nycgrip
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nycgrip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:28 pm

im pairing up my pixy with a steez megatop.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:15 am

Have you considered the Cumulus 6'5" medium? Although, I think the 6'10" would be a great rod to match the reel and the application you mentioned.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jraymond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Im just gonna go with the 6'10" cumulus for now but my eye is still out for something new.. Im curious about this mega top rod. Its rated at 3/32-1oz? Does it really handle weights well at both ends of the spectrum?

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:28 pm

Jraymond wrote:Im just gonna go with the 6'10" cumulus for now but my eye is still out for something new.. Im curious about this mega top rod. Its rated at 3/32-1oz? Does it really handle weights well at both ends of the spectrum?
I've wondered the same thing. Never used a rod that worked equally well w/ 1/8oz. and 1 oz. Strange ratings.

BTW 2.5" tubes don't work on the suski, especially if they're smoke w/ purple flake :quiet:

how about the elite/extreme 68Mxf although I tend to like the 66ML fast better for the 2.5-3" thin walled tubes and use the 68MXF for the thicker 3.25-4" tubes. Mostly on 1/8oz. heads btw.

Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jraymond » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm

RGMatt wrote:
Jraymond wrote:Im just gonna go with the 6'10" cumulus for now but my eye is still out for something new.. Im curious about this mega top rod. Its rated at 3/32-1oz? Does it really handle weights well at both ends of the spectrum?
I've wondered the same thing. Never used a rod that worked equally well w/ 1/8oz. and 1 oz. Strange ratings.

BTW 2.5" tubes don't work on the suski, especially if they're smoke w/ purple flake :quiet:

how about the elite/extreme 68Mxf although I tend to like the 66ML fast better for the 2.5-3" thin walled tubes and use the 68MXF for the thicker 3.25-4" tubes. Mostly on 1/8oz. heads btw.
Haha, Yeah they never work for me either ;)

I have the 6'8" Xtreme spinning rod, the action of the rod is awesome but im not very impressed with the sensitivity for $360..

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Jraymond wrote:[I have the 6'8" Xtreme spinning rod, the action of the rod is awesome but im not very impressed with the sensitivity for $360..
yeah after being in denial for a while, I've come to the same realization. They load up and cast great, never had a problem fighting fish but something is lacking in sensitivity. Not deads sticks, but not on par for the $ range.

How's the river looking out your way? The delaware river has about 4" visability and I heard the NB suski is chocolate.

Matt

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:37 pm

USA-RET wrote:Have you considered the Cumulus 6'5" medium? Although, I think the 6'10" would be a great rod to match the reel and the application you mentioned.
Couldn't agree more. The Cumulus sticks fish lighter than they are rated.

Jraymond
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jraymond » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 pm

How's the river looking out your way? The delaware river has about 4" visability and I heard the NB suski is chocolate.

Matt[/quote]
I was actually out today. The main still has a heavy stain but the tribs are dumping clean water. We boated well over 100 between 5"-20" on tubes, SB, cranks, traps and topwater. My best day this year as far as #'s go but the majority of the fish were under 12"

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:32 am

I know the rod and reel ---pretty much everyone likes to keep at the same level---at least from a price standpoint---and I can see someonw saying---why put a $500 reel on a $60 rod. But these Rods are everybit as good as some $200 rods. I currently have a couple of TD-Z 105's on them and love'em for darter heads and shaky heads and weightless wacky rigs.
They come in choice of full grip or split grip too.

It is the Daiwa Procyon---Hi's tackle carry's them-
PCN 701MLXB Trigger ML XF 7' 1 pc. line wt. 6 - 15 lure wt. 1/8 - 1/2 10 guides