Powell spinning rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
thatvoodoothatyoudo
Angler
Angler

Powell spinning rods

Post by thatvoodoothatyoudo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:58 pm

How do the Powell max spin rods compare to , say the St Croix lines?
Close to Avids or perhaps the Premier? With the TW sale, the Powell's look appealing, but I am unfamiliar with their makeup/feel/sensitivity/power .

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Powell spinning rods

Post by adam ochoa » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:43 pm

I cant speak on the st criox rods but the Powell spinning rods are very light and balanced. One of the first things i noticed when I first used them was the way the rods loaded up with a fish on. Plenty of backbone to move the fish with a forgiving tip that really protects those light line applications.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 pm

I have been considering trying the 610MEF TW Wacky rig spinning rod. I see there is basically what looks to be the same model in the Endurance line. Wondering if the Edurance one has the same or more backbone as the designated wacky rod etc...Wondering about any difference in the tips etc.
Anyone that has used both for the intended purpose and what your choice is? (wacky rig under docks)

I have seen the videos on TW of the endurance line and understand the Endurance is supposed to be lighter, stiffer towards the tip, etc...I just didn't want to jump up to the Endurance graphite and find out that the backbone isn't there as much as the designated wacky rod in the Max line or that the tip is way stiffer or something.

thatvoodoothatyoudo
Angler
Angler

Post by thatvoodoothatyoudo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 pm

TTT

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:14 am

I have a 732MLEF that I don't believe they make any longer (it's rated the same as the current 733MEF). It is by far my favorite spinning rod. As has been said, they're light, balanced, and have a nice tip to them. I like mine even more than my DX702SF.