MBR 782 IMX or Champion 682

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: MBR 782 IMX or Champion 682

Post by SLM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Ong Jim wrote:Had the rod for alomst two weeks and fished it twice. So far I am happy with the rod. Light and senetive, not a GLX, but still a very good rod. I fished weightless t-rig 4" senkos and was able to feel everything on the edge of the bank. And in heavier covers, I was still able to feel the light nibbles from 6" to 8" bass. I have yet to catch anything bigger, but they will come soon.
So where on the Delta are you fishing your 782? The Delta seems to get weedier, grassier and more matted each passing year, even in areas that formerly had sparser cover. The weedline is going deeper and deeper!

My "2" power sticks are pretty much relegated to reservoir usage. I tend to favor "3" power rods at the minimum for Delta usage (although I did have success fishing 7" worms + 1/4 oz shakey heads with my DX742 off the deeper shipping channel drop offs last season :D )....

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: MBR 782 IMX or Champion 682

Post by Ong Jim » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:55 pm

SLM wrote:
Ong Jim wrote:Had the rod for alomst two weeks and fished it twice. So far I am happy with the rod. Light and senetive, not a GLX, but still a very good rod. I fished weightless t-rig 4" senkos and was able to feel everything on the edge of the bank. And in heavier covers, I was still able to feel the light nibbles from 6" to 8" bass. I have yet to catch anything bigger, but they will come soon.
So where on the Delta are you fishing your 782? The Delta seems to get weedier, grassier and more matted each passing year, even in areas that formerly had sparser cover. The weedline is going deeper and deeper!

My "2" power sticks are pretty much relegated to reservoir usage. I tend to favor "3" power rods at the minimum for Delta usage (although I did have success fishing 7" worms + 1/4 oz shakey heads with my DX742 off the deeper shipping channel drop offs last season :D )....
My fault, I didn’t fish The Delta, I fished the deep water channel off Jefferson Blvd in West Sacramento next to the port. I was fishing on a 10’ pond prowler. The Delta has no place for a vessel that small.

My friend’s boat has been out of commission, so I haven’t had the privilege to fish The Delta lately.

But I’m sure the 6’6” will handle the lighter covers without much problem. Reason being, I fished my Cabela’s C704-1A, which is a 7’ medium power rod paired with my tuned Alphas Type-F, along Beaver, Hog, and Sycamore Slough in lighter covers this summer without much problem. It is more fun to fish with lighter gear knowing that at any given moment, you could lose everything, versus using heavy gear where you muscle everything in.

When it comes to heavy gears, I have that too; Dobyns Champion 805 Flip/Punch, 65# PowerPro, with a 2oz Hippo. But what fun is that?