Steez XBD Frog Rod 7'4" VS Zillion Swimbait 7'4"

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez XBD Frog Rod 7'4" VS Zillion Swimbait 7'4"

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 am

I'm guessing the blanks are different but how different are these two rods? Identical length and lure range with the one difference being a 2" longer handle on the Zillion (I prefer longer handles). I just ordered the Zillion for Frog and appropriate size swimbaits to be paired with a Z2020HL loaded with 65# 832 and wondering if I should have gotten the Steez, instead. I'm going to reread the TT review on both. I know there's one on the Zillion and think I read one on the Steez. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by GARRIGA on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez XBD Frog Rod 7'4" VS Zillion Swimbait 7'4"

Post by civicrr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:37 am

I've wondered myself what the real difference between the two blanks actions/tapers. Although I never threw frogs on my 'zil, I feel confident it would have casted them just fine. I'd be interested to read your report after some frogging.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 am

civicrr wrote:I've wondered myself what the real difference between the two blanks actions/tapers. Although I never threw frogs on my 'zil, I feel confident it would have casted them just fine. I'd be interested to read your report after some frogging.
I found both reviews. The notable differences, less material used, are;

Zillion
Weight 5.4 oz, rear grip 12.5" and balancing torque 0.27

Steez
Weight 5.3 oz, rear grip 11" and balancing torque 0.24

On paper it doesn't appear to be materially different and probably fine with the choice I made but still wondering if any have fished both and their impressions. The most drastic difference is the rear grip and not sure how much that would affect frog fishing. I know some prefer a shorter handle to make it walk but I'm not too hung up on that.
Last edited by GARRIGA on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am

I owned the Zillion Swimbait rod for about a couple months and got rid of it. I used it for 6" hudds mostly, but never for frogs, though I think it would work fine for heavy mats, not a lot of tip there. It is a nice stick and the slightly longer handle did help tossing the hudds out there. I wanted a rod for close quarters swimbaiting if that makes any sense - weedless 6" hudds around docks mostly. I found that my Megabass Mephisto was a much better tool for the job. I am not a fan of the reel seat on the Zillion rods in general, so that factored heavily into my getting rid of the rod.

I do own and use the XBD Steez Frog rod and absolutely love that stick. IIRC, the Steez features a bit softer blank with a nicer tip for walking frogs, but still very powerful. I haven't used it for swimbaiting - other than paddletails. I use it for frogs, larger jigs and worms, and even a bit of "punching" and it handles all of those duties like a champ. I had another frog rod that I really loved for hollow body frogs, but the XBD Frog Rod is just so much more versatile so it has earned a permanent position in my lineup. Hope this helps...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am

bronzefly wrote:I owned the Zillion Swimbait rod for about a couple months and got rid of it. I used it for 6" hudds mostly, but never for frogs, though I think it would work fine for heavy mats, not a lot of tip there. It is a nice stick and the slightly longer handle did help tossing the hudds out there. I wanted a rod for close quarters swimbaiting if that makes any sense - weedless 6" hudds around docks mostly. I found that my Megabass Mephisto was a much better tool for the job. I am not a fan of the reel seat on the Zillion rods in general, so that factored heavily into my getting rid of the rod.

I do own and use the XBD Steez Frog rod and absolutely love that stick. IIRC, the Steez features a bit softer blank with a nicer tip for walking frogs, but still very powerful. I haven't used it for swimbaiting - other than paddletails. I use it for frogs, larger jigs and worms, and even a bit of "punching" and it handles all of those duties like a champ. I had another frog rod that I really loved for hollow body frogs, but the XBD Frog Rod is just so much more versatile so it has earned a permanent position in my lineup. Hope this helps...
I'll probably end up getting the Steez down the line as a dedicated frog rod. First I needed a chuck and crank rod and the longer handle works better for me but does seem like having both wouldn't be unreasonnable. Typical TT fashion, when in doubt get both. lol

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 pm

GARRIGA wrote: I'll probably end up getting the Steez down the line as a dedicated frog rod. First I needed a chuck and crank rod and the longer handle works better for me but does seem like having both wouldn't be unreasonnable. Typical TT fashion, when in doubt get both. lol
Good call. I don't know anyone who has given the Steez XBD frog rod a good workout over time with a few different baits/techniques who didn't really enjoy it. It's the only Steez rod that I've kept and I've had a bunch of them... not that Steez aren't very, very nice rods, but brands/models work better for me in all but this particular configuration. Get it sooner rather than later, you'll be glad you did :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 pm

bronzefly wrote: It's the only Steez rod that I've kept and I've had a bunch of them...
Bronzefly, just curious if you have tried the 8' CompileX, or a BC Fle-X-lite rod??

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:29 am

Is the XBD much stronger then the Zillion? Both are made of the same material with the XBD having the additional layer. I'm thinking the variance in the balancing torque is more a product of handle length then anything else. As for the tip on both, is there a substantial difference that would make one (XBD) walk a frog better or cast into tight spots more accurately? I won't be getting the XBD for several months to try both out and curious as to these specific points.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:24 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:
bronzefly wrote: It's the only Steez rod that I've kept and I've had a bunch of them...
Bronzefly, just curious if you have tried the 8' CompileX, or a BC Fle-X-lite rod??
Yes, I've owned and used the comp x 7'1" and 8' and each of the Fle-X-lite series rods... very, very nice sticks all of them.
GARRIGA wrote:Is the XBD much stronger then the Zillion? Both are made of the same material with the XBD having the additional layer. I'm thinking the variance in the balancing torque is more a product of handle length then anything else. As for the tip on both, is there a substantial difference that would make one (XBD) walk a frog better or cast into tight spots more accurately? I won't be getting the XBD for several months to try both out and curious as to these specific points.
Stronger? Again, I had the zillion last year and used it for 6" hudds, not frogs, so going from memory, the Zillion feels more stiff/rigid/stout throughout the entire blank, including the tip. I know for certain that the tip on the XBD frog rod is very comfortable for me when walking a frog.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 am

bronzefly wrote:Yes, I've owned and used the comp x 7'1" and 8' and each of the Fle-X-lite series rods... very, very nice sticks all of them.
Yeah, I know. :big grin: Just surprised you got rid of them.

The 8'X has such a nice tip on it I have been using mine for long distance skipping with senkos lately. :shock:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:12 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote: Yeah, I know. :big grin: Just surprised you got rid of them.

The 8'X has such a nice tip on it I have been using mine for long distance skipping with senkos lately. :shock:
The biggest issue for me with Steez rods is the reel seat - I'm pretty picky about them. I'm a fan of the ECS or a skeletonized seat personally. I've learned to deal with it on a few models with that style seat, including the XBD frog rod. The Flexlites are sweet cranking sticks, no doubt, but I still prefer some others over them.
The 8' is nice too, but I wanted a true dedicated heavy powered flipping stick and like the Loomis BCFR 954 GLX better for that kind of work.

Anyone looking for a wicked frog rod that is still sensitive enough to do a lot of other "heavy lifting" should have a look at this XBD frog rod though. Football jigs, 10" worms, pitching jigs to cover, paddletails, etc. this rod can do a lot of things very well 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 am

Whats your opinion on the tip of the frog rod?
Softer than "usual" for a heavy powered stick?

Extra $ has been an issue lately so I don't have the frog rod yet. ](*,)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 am

I am also in the market and planning to aquire the 7'1" Compile X rod, 7'0" MH Steez, 6'7" Steez, and the SPX Megatop rod before next fishing season. Besides the Megatop rod, is it really worth to jump from the Zillion Rods to the Steez rods? I ask myself that question all the time but I already know the answer regardless - I will be getting those rods.

I would not mind having the 8'0" Compile X flipping rod too but, have you seen the price on this rod? With Daiwa's 2012 pricing, it is well over $700 USD. ](*,) I think I'll stick with the Zillion 7'6" Flipping Stick I have - had two sold one.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:Whats your opinion on the tip of the frog rod?
Softer than "usual" for a heavy powered stick?

Extra $ has been an issue lately so I don't have the frog rod yet. ](*,)
I dont find the tip soft, but I dont play a lot in the broom stick category based on my region of the country. Although the tip did not feel "soft" to me when I first took it out of the package, I am surprisingly accurate with the frog....so maybe it is softer than "usual."

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:40 am

I would agree with everything Bronzefly has said about the actions. Not surprising since I read a lot of what Bronzefly writes. =D>

The tip is not soft by any means but it is slightly softer than the Zillion rod. I think the tip is perfect for walking frogs and great for casting accuracy. I too sold my Zillion only due to the fact that I don't throw swimbaits much anymore. Unlike Bronzefly I do like the reel seats. I have a good selection of Zillion rods to show for it. :big grin:

I also use my XBD for paddletails, pitching and flippin. It has plenty of backbone for pulling fish from cover and mats.
I also have the 8' Compile-X and flip, pitch and throw c-rigs with it.

To sum it up the XBD is worth every penny. You will not be sorry you bought it.