XBD 7'4" or Zillion 7'4" for Punching

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

XBD 7'4" or Zillion 7'4" for Punching

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 am

For those who have used both or either rods, if you had to pick one for punching, which would it be. Most likely lure would be a Sweet Beaver 4.20, 1.5 oz Tungsten and 65-100# braid and probably a Daiwa Zillion Type R or Z2020HL/Z200HL.

I like the extra length of the rear handle on the Zillion for leverage but the Steez seems to feel better for pitching. I have no clue why and may be more perception then actual difference. The Steez is rated for 80# braid but except for an additional layer, is the same blank as the Zillion. I'm not a big fan of the reel seat on the Zillion but not a deal breaker.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: XBD 7'4" or Zillion 7'4" for Punching

Post by bronzefly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm

You now own both rods so go out and test them out and tell us what you think! :lol: The Steez XBD is versatile enough to handle that kind of work though - not sure about the 100lb braid though, are you punching for gators or something? :shock:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: XBD 7'4" or Zillion 7'4" for Punching

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm

bronzefly wrote:You now own both rods so go out and test them out and tell us what you think! :lol: The Steez XBD is versatile enough to handle that kind of work though - not sure about the 100lb braid though, are you punching for gators or something? :shock:
No gators but you never know where one is hanging out. Lol

Most likely going 65-80.