DD22/DD14 and Bomber FFS rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

DD22/DD14 and Bomber FFS rod

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:57 am

What do you think would be my best option as a deep cranking rod in the realm of using DD22s or Fat Free Shads. I would like to keep the price below $150 or so and what reel would you match with it? Thanks for any and all replies.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: DD22/DD14 and Bomber FFS rod

Post by DavidSA » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Not sure if they make it in the new line or not but the old line of Crucials in a 7'2mh crankbait rod would be a nice choice. I use a customer gloomis 847 crankbait rod or a Crucial 7mh if I'm in a pinch.

I use a 2009 Revo Premier for most all my crankbait rods. It casts a DD22 a mile and gives me a neutral speed reel. I will often throw 3/4 and 1oz lipless cranks on the same rod and the 6to1 ratio reel lets me work these fast enough.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: DD22/DD14 and Bomber FFS rod

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:15 pm

My favorite deep crank rod is the Shimano Cumara CUC711MH - I've seen a few used sell for just a little bit more than your $150 mark - but if you can swing it, it has a lifetime warranty and is WELL worth the few extra bucks. It is a fine deep crank rod!

I think that the new Shimano Crucial series deep crank rod is going to be one great stick as well at its price point... The model on that one is the CRCC711MHA and I hope to put my hands on one fairly soon.

Regarding the reel, depending on your budget, I have a Calcutta TE 100DC on mine and love it. A Calcutta TE 100 GT makes a great deep crank reel as well. Other great less expensive options would be a Shimano Chronarch D5 or even a Shimano Curado 200E5 would be great on there.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap