Z bone rear cork fell off in hand

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Z bone rear cork fell off in hand

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 am

jlb wrote:
Pmedicbm wrote:Looks like a troll to me. Let see the pics... [-X
My apologies JlB. My bad..
Like stated, it's an easy fix, but if it were mine, (and I also build rods on the side) I'd still send that sucker back and address it to the attention of Trey Kistler.. Yes, things slip through the cracks, but absolutely no epoxy on the rear grip is a little strange.. You'd have thought that during that rigorous testing they reporting to put them through that they would have caught this one.. One more QC issue for them to check before they head out the door.... Like you said it's a shame on a $400 rod... :roll:
Pmedicbm

donkey punching
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by donkey punching » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 am

I am all for just fixing it yourself and moving on, BUT have you checked the rest of the rod fit and finish? ( I am almost certain you have after that!) so I would be a little skeptical that there is little to zero issues else where with that rod. It might be worth the hassle of sending it back.

LordRiper
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LordRiper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:32 am

jlb wrote:Just got a zbone le and notice there is a gap between the trim ring and cork butt piece. Turns out the butt piece was not epoxied on as it just came right off. Kinda hard to believe for a $400 rod?
Mattman wrote:I've never torn apart a Kistler so I haven't examied their build construction. I've torn apart a fair number of other manufacturers rods and one thing I see consistently is that the blank is not prepped at all to receive handle components. Blanks should be clean and scuffed to promote good adhesion. It typically doesn't make a big difference when it comes to full grips, but with a small section of split grip as we have here... Not only do you need adhesive, you need to make sure you prep the blank.
After 2 years of no problems its happens to me on a Crucial.... thinking on loktite... its ok?
-- Salim Giacoman --
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"

SDChris
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SDChris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Way bummer!!!

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Trey took care of my issue, all is well.