New dobyns!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New dobyns!

Post by bassfishin14 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Anyone watch the new video vlog on TW? looks like Mr all time west money maker gary dobyns is coming with a new 8 foot carolina rig rod! In the vlog randy also metions he likes it as a light flippin stick and swimbait rod. idk about you guys but im super excited for that if come comes out. looks like a killer rod..with that said what dobyns isnt a killer rod :big grin:

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New dobyns!

Post by beezy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree with you on this one. Dobyns rods are so versatile that they can be used for multiple purposes. Like you mentioned in the video, the rod is made for carolina rigs but Randy McAbee also uses it for swimbaits and flipping/pitching. I'm really interested in getting this rod also to use as a lighter swimbait rod to complement my 795.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I posted about this rod on WesternBass. Gary answered the following:

"McAbee has a love affair with that 804 C-Rig rod. I made this rod for Texas. They C-Rig with long leaders...many times 6 to 7 foot leaders and needed a longer rod. I made it and saw the Flippin possiblities right off. I was calling it a C-Rig/Flippin rod. I really involve my pro-staff on decisions. They talked me out of calling it a flippin stick. After a bunch of time on this rod, it's a great flippin stick for lighter stuff but handles bigger baits ok. McAbee uses it for a small swimbait rod and loves it, and of course a great C-Rig rod. I have many dealer orders for it already. Should be here in late October. It's going to be a great rod for us."

thatvoodoothatyoudo
Angler
Angler

Post by thatvoodoothatyoudo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:38 am

I wonder how this new 8' rod would compare?

Phenix Bass Recon Casting Rod 8' Med Hvy

Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length
Fast 10-20lb 1/4-1oz 10+Tip Recon Cast E

PHX-C804MH. Punching, Topwaters, Senkos, Spinnerbaits & Texas-rigs.

- TVDTYD

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:57 am

Any specs on the rod? Will it be a Champion or DX series? Sounds sweet! :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:37 am

beezy wrote:I agree with you on this one. Dobyns rods are so versatile that they can be used for multiple purposes. Like you mentioned in the video, the rod is made for carolina rigs but Randy McAbee also uses it for swimbaits and flipping/pitching. I'm really interested in getting this rod also to use as a lighter swimbait rod to complement my 795.
Saw this and thought I had already posted but couldn't remember doing it...until I looked closer at the username :lol: :doh:

Rod looks very interesting, looking forward to hearing some reviews. I've been looking for a longer rod with slightly more power than my 734 for throwing skinny dippers. Sounds like this may fit the bill and cover a lot of areas too :-k

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:49 am

Will this have a softer tip than the 764?

Stratos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stratos » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:58 am

zodiak311 wrote:Any specs on the rod? Will it be a Champion or DX series? Sounds sweet! :big grin:
I believe I read an article about this rod and it was a Champion series like the other 2 flipping rods (765,766). I am pretty excited about this rod after reading about how everyone in the Dobyn's staff really loves this rod.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 am

It will be a champ rod..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats