Kistler and Daiwa rod warranty comparison.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler and Daiwa rod warranty comparison.

Post by jeb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:12 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:GLoomis....Limited LIfe Time Warranty....no matter how you break it....they will replace it - no questions asked. Well, that is and how GLoomis was. I sold my last GLoomis rod last year and have never used GLoomis warranty, but I think now its "One time, no questions asked, replacement" and then Second claim on same rod, $100.
Not exactly right. Loomis' "warranty" is lifetime, but it's not "no matter how you break it". The warranty only covers defects. My local dealer tells me they are pushing back more and more on that these days, too. Used to be, they'd fix/replace just about any of them under warranty. Not so much anymore.

And they also have 2 "services" on the rods. The older rods have the better Expiditer service. Costs you $100, but it's no questions asked. Supposedly one time only per person per rod, but I don't think they can enforce it since a person could have several of the same model rod. The new "wildcard" program is a free one time only, over the counter (if you find the same rod at a local dealer that is willing to do the swap) deal. Otherwise, you have to send it in with your wildcard.
All other companies...I think falls behind the major four I mentioned above.
There are lots of others with good warranties. Dobyns, for example, has the same lifetime warranty as Loomis and also has an over the counter, no questions asked deal for $60. No limit.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm

brokeneye wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote::mrgreen: Funny Stuff RGMatt.

If it is human made, it can be broke!

I don't worry if USPS or UPS or FedEx brake my rods. As long as they are insured and or covered by the manufacturers. The only problem I will have is.....like that of my first Gen Carrot Stix - what a nightmare, it broke 3 times....$120 total for replacement. I ended up just giving it away. ](*,)

you'll worry if usps breaks your rod and a burearocratnik named "willie" in st. louis gets your claim...insurance or not.

trust me on this one.
I will say USPS was not the easiest to deal w/ for me either. They approved my "$300" claim the first time through but only for $40 some dollars. Took me another 6-8 weeks before I saw the rest and that was w/ numerous phone calls and emails proving the rods worth. Major PIA.

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Now I haven't dealt with Daiwa or Shimano per se, however from what I've read I don't think they have the best warranty policy. I broke a Fenwick rod about a year back and shipped the rod back as specified in the warranty information on their website. I also included a short letter describing how the rod was broken (fighting a fish, 14lb mono, moderate drag). About a week later a new rod was at the door and inside the package I found a check for $10 to partially reimburse me for shipping. Overall I think it ended up costing me about 8 bucks in shipping. Not too shabby. I am not saying that Fenwick rods are good, I actually didn't much care for mine, but that's a heck of a warranty program imho.

On another note I have also had a Cabela's magtouch rod replaced for absolutely free when I took it into a location. I guess my point is that if Fenwick and Cabela's are willing to replace rods for free or next to free then why doesn't daiwa or shimano whose rods are much higher priced in general.

cordell
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cordell » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:32 am

Hello all,
I have nothing but praise for the Daiwa "LT" series rods. I actually bought it for my birthday, using the highly scientific method of closing my eyes and having my wife to hand me rods until I found one that felt perfect! As it turned out the Daiwa "LT" fit me perfectly. At that point I had no idea that the LT stood for warranty. Several weeks later I was fishing at one of the local "honey holes" and hit a nice 5lb largemouth. He was jumping so I put the rod in the water and he headed under the boat and POP, the last 5 inches of the rod broke off (but I landed and released the fish). I contacted the dealer and explained what had happened and he said "does your rod have an "LT" on it". I told him it did and he said he remembered my unorthodox buying method and to bring it in and get a new one..................... That was several years ago but out of the 60 plus rod and reel sets I own it is my "go to" rod (along with my Shimano Curado reel). Take care and God bless. cordell

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:45 am

Wait, kistler didnt hold your rod hostage?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:57 am

Good job finding this 3 year old thread, Cordell. And welcome to Tackle Tour.

cordell
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cordell » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:52 am

Hello jeb,
I am fortunate indeed to have found this site! As a matter of fact I have been doing a little praying for nice weather so that I can do a bit of bass fishing Christmas week. I will put the "LT" and a few others in the truck so I can enjoy my favorite pastime while I celebrate the birth of my Savior! Thanks for the welcome and God bless you and yours....cordell

carl-c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carl-c » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:25 am

Megabass, Loomis and ST.Croix have the best warranties around. IMHO !

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:09 am

Ong Jim wrote:Larger companies have the leverage to cover their merchandise at a low cost. Kinda like Walmart, you could return anything no matter the condition or age ofthe item.

As for Daiwa and Shimano, if you live next to an authorized dealer, so it is $15 and you walk away with a brand new rod. I have returned a few Daiwa and Shimano rods and really appriciate their coverage. As great as G Loomis rods are, they are not able to match with Daiwa and Shimano could do. If you have a tendency of breaking your rods, go with Daiwa and Shimano.
Larger companies have a greater pool of customers to spread the cost of covering their merchandise. "Rod Commies" all! Much like politicians, they are using someone else's money to make themselves look good.