Loomis Weibe Reel Seat..

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Loomis Weibe Reel Seat..

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas of how to protect the reel's foot from the metal weibe seat scratching it? I tried a bunch of teflon plumber tape once, but it didn't work as well as I was hoping..

Thanks!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Loomis Weibe Reel Seat..

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Some Shimanos provide reel foot sectioned tape to help protect the reel foot corrosion (mostly Mg models), while Daiwa does not provide anything. the Shimano tape works okay, but getting multiple uses out of it is highly unlikely -- usually it's one-and-done.

While I do admire the ergonomics of that particular grip, I do not forsee anything that will keep the metal hood's threads from digging into the painted reel foot of any manufacturer. I think that building problems and this issue combined caused the discontinuation of that reel seat. Stinks.......it is a great design and a highly-touted addition to great rods.

I would like to know if anyone has a fix for this problem as well.
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Try a thick piece of tape applied to the reel foot. You may have to replace often if you loosen /tighten much. This is not a fix or a guarantee against marking, but has worked for me. Over time have also learned that the Weibe nut does not have to be tightened as much as you can. It provides strong mechanical advantage even when moderately tight.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:01 pm

never tried it on one of those seats, but the white adhesive backed pads that come w/ a spool of power pro have worked for me as a cushion and to take up space on a loose reel seat in the past. But it's another one and done fix so you probably won't be able to reuse.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Are the Loomis with the weibe seats a sought after rod?? I am currently using one (783 IMX) and the other an 844 IMX that I dont use. Just curious If i am not using it I might as well sell it to a good home.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 pm

barrys wrote:Are the Loomis with the weibe seats a sought after rod?? I am currently using one (783 IMX) and the other an 844 IMX that I dont use. Just curious If i am not using it I might as well sell it to a good home.
Barrys, a lot of people REALLY love them and have wished Loomis continued making them. I personally just can't get a comfortable grip with it. I really wish I loved it. I've thought about selling the glx mbr783 a few times, but it's just such a nice rod. Maybe one day I'll have to have the handle customized for comfort..
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org