Suggestions for rods for Fuego 2000

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
pchung3009
Angler
Angler

Suggestions for rods for Fuego 2000

Post by pchung3009 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I own Daiwa Certate 2500 and I just purchased a Fuego 2000 at TW on their sale. For anyone that is looking for a new spinning reel in the $150 range, you can't go wrong with this reel. Feel great, looks great, and it comes with a spare spool.

Anyway, I have been fishing the Certate on a 7' ML Legend Extreme using 8lb braid. Mainly for drop shotting, flickshake, light shakyheads, wacky rigs, and tubes in anywhere from shallow to 20 fow.

I purchased the Fuego 2000 (really wanted the 2500, but they sold out) and need a rod to pair up with it. Because it has two spools, I want this combo to be more versatile. As a co-angler, I can't carry a ton of rods with me so if I can condense in anyway, that always helps. I plan on putting 15-20 lb braid on one spool and 6 lb Flouro on the other. I will be using the braided spool for skipping docks, finesse jigs, 1/4-5/16 oz tubes, and any lighter applications in cover. The Flouro will be for finesse applications in "deeper" water.

The am looking for a fast action medium rod that can handle multiple applications. My budget cap is $180 on this.

The ones that I am looking at are:

Savvy 703SF $160
Shimano Crucial 7'2" M F- $160
Recon 723L - $170

Should I be looking at something else? I have seen a ton of threads on the recons vs. dobyns, but just wanted some other thoughts on the spinning stuff.

I already own, but not have yet fished my Recon 764. Looks awesome and feels great with my Core. I think it will look real nice paired with the Fuego.

Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Suggestions for rods for Fuego 2000

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 pm

The Recon 723 is a medium. That is the one I would recommend. You through me a bit when you said 723L! LOL But I think with the red highlights on the reel it would pair nicely with another Recon.
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I agree with Vince. I've been using the Recon 723M for about a month and a half. Drop shotting/shakey heads/tubes/flick shake in 20-40 feet for spotted bass in super clear water. 20 pound Sufix 832 with about 30ft of 5# Sunline Sniper. Awesome rod. I did some serious side by side testing with the Powell Endurance 6101L and 712ML, the Recon is more sensitive than both. The Powells are super crisp b/c of the ex-fast action, but the weight of the rod itself dampens the feel. the 723 felt better in hand than the Powells, and lighter to boot. I've been thinking of Getting a Fuego 1500/2000 to pair with my 723.

My conclusion after fishing both, the Powell's are still good value for the $$$ and the guy that really is particular about rod actions will appreciate the ex-fast action. BUT having fished many JDM rods (which tend to the same have slower but truer tapers) I prefer the sensitivity, balance and comfort of the Recon for the same $$$.
robchik.com

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Don't have experience with the rods you listed. Do have a Daiwa Sol 2000 on a Loomis IMX SJR782. Think it would do what you want very well. Easy to find used in your price range.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm

there should still be some of the 2011 legend tournaments around for around your price range, i got my 6'9" mlxf for $190, and the tube model, 7' mf, should work well for what you want. i have a fuego 2000 on mine and it feels great, and the 7'mf is actually half an ounce lighter than the 6'9" mlxf, so should feel even better!

i wish there was a place in my area (anywhere in WI for that matter, even northern illinois) that had the phenix rods, from what i have heard they are nice, but i dont feel comfotable buying without handling. but havent heard much bad about them, if anything.

i had a dobyns saavy before returning it to buy the LTB, and i did not like it at all, very little in terms of sensitivity, which was the main thing i wanted in it (primary use was for jig/minnow and jig/grubs for walleye and smallies) it balanced well, but had too little sensitivity for me, the LTB is far superior and my avid blew the saavy out of the water as well, i wouldnt recommend it for bottom contatct type stuff.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 pm

i have my certate 2500 on a phenix umbx classic 707m spinning rod and absolutely love it. i like vince's suggestion/confirmation of the 723, though, to be honest, i still haven't fished the recons yet. i'm gonna correct that soon though .... right, vince? :big grin:

-perry-