Rod for Skipping

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod for Skipping

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

What is a good rod for shipping jigs at docks. I ran across this video and they say the 7' heavy zillion is the best in there oppinion. Is this a good rod for skipping jigs or are they just trying to sell zillion rods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hx-0vDEcC4
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod for Skipping

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am

In general, I've found shorter rods to be the best for skipping. For lighter jigs/tubes, the mbr783 glx was very nice until I came across the steez 631, which IMO has to be one of the very best rods for this technique available. For heavier jigs 1/2 oz or more, a short heavy powered, fast action rod would be better.

One big thing I will disagree with that video on is to use mono or braid for skipping. DO NOT try to learn or start out skipping jigs on a baitcaster with fluoro as the video adviced b/c not only will it be expensive :lol: , but it's much more difficult to skip IMO. It's heavier, does not flow off the spool as smoothly, and does not skip across the top of the water easily. Believe me, mono and braid is much easier to skip. And heavier mono/braid is generally easier to control than lighter lines. Skipping is a go-to technique in my constant river smallie fishing conquest :big grin:

I also find that skipping is easiest with a linear magnetic braking. Any reel that I plan on using for skipping, I tune the rotor by "fixing" the inductor. But I now use a px68 finesse special spool that is already "fixed" stock. Must be the very finest reel for skipping on the planet! Much better than even my Shimano DC reels! I can't wait to try out the new daiwa 3D mag system for skipping this year..
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:16 pm

There are alot of opinions and preferences out there for rods and reels for skipping from the videos I watched.
Here are a couple that I liked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevXix_4 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tXlODzL ... re=related

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

I have the steez 631 that I have been using with vision 110's. I really like this rod. I could see using this rod for 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz jigs. What about the px68 finesse special spool makes it good for skipping jigs? I could see my px68 and
steez 631 making a good combo. But for 1/2 oz jigs trying to pull fish out from under docks and dock cables etc, I think i'm going to give a 7' heavy fast action rod a try. I'm sure its going to take lots of practice with the cheapest mono I can find to start off with.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:01 pm

You can pretty much skip with most rods if your proficient in casting.. Just takes a lot of practice..
I spent 2 weeks skipping jigs up in WI fishing a tourney as thats pretty much all we did..That and skipping frogs..
Jigs were on a DX784c
Frogs on the Champ 735C and those are not short sticks, but they worked just fine..
Id look at a 7' rod as you still want the length to set up on fish far back in the docks and to move that line quick..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

spencerinstl wrote:What about the px68 finesse special spool makes it good for skipping jigs?
It has a fixed inductor. So the mag is always on, even at slow spool speeds. I usually have brake set to 2 or 3 for both pitching and skipping. You can skip with any reel and rod, just as Nitroman said, it just takes practice. I just prefer my px/steez combo for my usual close-quarters skipping as I float down small rivers for smallmouth. It also makes an ideal jerkbait setup for my situation. I've even pulled 30# carp that I've snagged with Pointers :big grin:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Btw, just a tip. I've found that rod/reel really isn't that big of a factor for skipping. It's all in the casting technique. You want you lure gliding extremely parallel to the water's surface ;) That's 80% of it IMO. The rest is rod tip and spool control after the release. Master that and you'll be able to skip a 5" senko with an abu 6500 on a trolling rod, no problem ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 pm

I like using a rod with a softer tip when skipping. If the rod is too fast of an action it doesn't work as well for me. The softer tip allows the rod to kinda sling shot the lure and give you added momentum.

Another big tip is to start off using braid, and after the cast you want to bring the rod tip up a little bit to clear up the spool a bit.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Ended up getting a Damiki Dark Angel Pro Bryan Thrift Casting Rod 6'9" Med Hvy. So far I really like this rod,
light, I like the length, and its designed for skipping. I'm sure with practice I will be able to skip with other rods that I have. I was doing pretty good tonight at the pond in town. Was able to get a 3/8 oz Buckeye Lures Flat Top Finesse
Jig with a Trigger X 4" Flappin Craw to Skip half way decent about 20ft from shore with the jig skipping from when it hit the water another 10 -12 ft or so. I'm sure with practice the distance will get better. I didn't think this was too bad considering this was only the 3rd time trying to skip. Was using a Daiwa Fuego. Tried using my t3 this morning but couldn't quit get it to work right for me. Was much easier to keep the backlashes down with the Fuego.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Went fishing today. Caught 3 dinks on a spinnerbait. The fishing was real slow today. So, I decided I would just spend the rest of the day practicing skipping with my new dark angel rod. Was getting better as the day went along.
Was amazed where I was able to get the jig back into under brush and laydowns without getting hung up.
Really impressed with the rod and the 3/8 oz omega jig. Was having fun skipping then all of the sudden wham, a
4 lb bass. Didn't catch any more fish, but was a happy camper for the rest of the day.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 am

A little off topic but - been skipping for 20+ years and I never go as heavy as 3/8oz. 1/4oz max and I use 1/8oz jig most of the time since I am normally skipping to targets in 3ft of water or less.

You can skip the heavier jig o.k., but try the lighter jigs with a heavy trailer. That trigger X craw you mentioned is great for this. I think you be suprised at how much further you will be able to skip with the lighter jigs.

All terrain jigs makes their skipping jig in an 1/8 oz thats pretty decent. They don't have that size on TW though.

I personally use the 8' compile X for skipping. The acceleration on the jig with the rods length and soft tip is phenominal. :big grin:

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of the lighter jigs steezman, I will have to give it a try. The Omega jigs have a big flat spot on the bottom of the jigs that make them easy to skip. They suggest using a 7/16 jig for skipping docks to get futher
back under the dock. I wasn't doing too bad with the 3/8 oz jig. When I get better at it I will loosen up the spool tension knob a little and back the brake off a couple of notches on my zillion. I liked the omega jigs better than the
buckeye finesse jigs, but both are quality jigs. Besides the Trigger X Craw, I was also using the Chompers 5" twin tail
grub jig trailer. I liked the twin tail a little better the trigger x craw seemed a little big for a finesse jig.