carolina rig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
shimanoangler12
Angler
Angler

carolina rig rod

Post by shimanoangler12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 pm

I am looking to get a new carolina rig rod, typically with a half ounce weight. I was thinking about the shimano compre 7'2 mh fast worm and jig rod. Does anyone have any experience with this rod? Or should I get the heavy action instead? The heavy rod is rated 1/2 to 1 1/2 ounces, while the medium heavy is rated 1/4 to 3/4. Ideally, I think something rated about 3/8 to 1 ounce would be the best. I am not opposed to having a heavy action rod but I dont ever throw lures over 1/2 ounce. Do ya'll think this rod would be ok at throwing stuff in the 3/8 to 1/2 ounce range well. I was thinking it could double as maybe a heavy cover rod or frog rod as well if I got the heavy. Or does anyone have any other suggestions for a carolina rod, looking to spend around $100, maybe up to $120ish?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: carolina rig rod

Post by steve1206 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I can't comment on the exact rods, but remember, with a C-Rig, even with a 1/2 oz. weight, after adding the swivel, hook, beads, and plastic, you are usually casting 3/4-1oz of weight.