best rod for best value?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

best rod for best value?

Post by Mattpusa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:48 pm

planning on getting a new setup soon but confused about the rod. Its def going to be a worm rod 7' mh. I wanna know whats the best rod for the value no more than 100 bucks. I was looking at the okuma reflixions they feel really good in my hand

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: best rod for best value?

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:08 pm

you have alot of options at that price range...

The top four I would recommend (in no particular order) are BPS Carbonlite, Abu Veritas, St. Croix MOJO, and Falcon Bucoo....

All three have there strengths and there weaknesses...but it might be common consensus here on TT that these would be the top four recommended rods...Ive personally used the first three, but not the Bucoo. The only one I still have is the Mojo Bass...but I rarely use it.

In all honesty id save up some extra Starbucks cash and get a Phenix Recon....its pretty much a $300 rod in the $160 price point.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:33 pm

anybody know about the new e21wild black carrot sticks

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:36 pm

have you looked at the powell diesel rods for $69? i've read reviews of people who used them and compared them to the more expensive powell max/endurance rods... for $69, that leaves you money left over for some lures, gas money to the lake and back for $100 ;) i'm really looking at them myself.. other rods to check out under $100 are the new shimano clarus rods@$79, okuma evx-a@$89, daiwa T-casting@$69... there are couple more decent ones around $100 but these are the ones that i would recommed buying as i've felt them and fished a couple before. let us know which ones you get :big grin:

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:19 am

I'd personally look at shimanos in that $$ range......lifetime warranty and good sticks

SC Mojo's are total junk..IMHO

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:34 am

Probably too many to list as possible choices in that price range.

I grabbed a MH 7' Carbonlite rod and it been a great performer. Light, balanced and sensitive for bottom contact baits.

Also take a look at the Browning Hi Power rod (another BPS brand). I picked up the 6'6" MH model and was blown away by the build quality of the rod for the money. Very similar to the Carbonlite in feel with a very JDM (reminds me of the Evergreen) look. Blank is a graphite/boron matrix, butt-to-tip 1K slit-carbon wrap and the rod is very sensitive. I handled the 7' in the store and it is very nice. Nearly as light as the 6'6" I own. (these routinely go on sale for $20 off)

Read the Denali Jadewood review on TT. I handled it and was surprised at how nicely the rod balanced and light it was in hand. The hardwood fore-grip is very unique and seems to amplify sensitivity. It another nice rod for the money.

The list could go on. :lol:

At the $100 price point (give or take), there are some great values. Most of the new rods introduced to fill that market are all viable choices. Best advice is to check out the ones mentioned for yourself and pick the one "speaks to you" :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Wraath
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Wraath » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am

I think Fenwicks make fantastic spinning rods, know many people who swear by them.

Not sure about casting rods though.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 am

Wraath wrote:I think Fenwicks make fantastic spinning rods, know many people who swear by them.

Not sure about casting rods though.
From my personal experience I've found dramatic improvement in the value market over the last few years and a rod series released last fall has been incredible. The new Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth series has to be one of, if not the best value in rods today, even at the $129.99 retail I considerit a bargin just because you get a lot of rod for the price. What seperates the smallmouth series is the blank, it is super light and has that crisp, lively feel that is missing among most rods in the value market, plus it has good guides, the reel seat is different and it works as the rods are incredibly comfortable to hold and with the light weight it makes for a combonation that just begs to be fished. The amazing thing is these rods are low in price retail wise but the discounted prices I've seen on amazon are mind blowing, I got a Smallmouth casting rod for 80 bucks shipped and it is like that with most of the series, check them out, you won't be sorry.
Barlow's Tackle

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

I'm with Smalljaw on this one. I don't have access to the array of rods you guys have but I have held several of the Fenwick Elite Tec Smallmouth rods and was quite impressed. Certainly they seem like a much higher priced rod discounted to $99-$108 (Canadaian prices at Sail and LeBarons). Bottom line compared to some of the rods mentioned I think these Elite Tecs are best. I'm told the Elite Tec River Runners are even a nicer option for Trout or multispecies anglers.

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:28 pm

You've got some good input already. I'd just like to add the Falcon HD series of rods to the discussion. To me, these rods are amazing at their price point - very light, very well balanced. The components are all Fuji.. guides, reelseat etc. I own two of them and have heard nothing but good things from others who own them also.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:00 pm

I would say a Shimano Compre or Falcon Bucoo. Ive fished both and they fish very well at the $100 price point. Ive been looking for a heavier rod for Corkys and The Bucoo 7'H is at the top of my list at $100.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:40 pm

x2 on the Jadewood. I am gonna pick one up whenever they get back in stock at TW.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdenalijadewood.html
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I would have to consider two rods. The Falcon Bucoo, and the Powell Diesel. I think these are the two best value sticks available.

Mbauer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mbauer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 pm

hands down the best value in bass fishing are powell rods. Under a hundred bucks you can't beat the diesel series, got a few last week. They are well balanced and look clean. Check out the 723

cjr4497
Angler
Angler

Post by cjr4497 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:04 pm

i am all about the big V and for me the All Star ASR Series and BPS Carbonlites are tops in the $100 max spot. I have both they are great. All Stars are hard to find right know. Ebay and academy are the only places that have them. cabela's rep said they will be carrying them again. might be a while though.