Daiwa S S631MHFB 6'3" for Topwater & Jerkbait?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa S S631MHFB 6'3" for Topwater & Jerkbait?

Post by hobobob » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I am currently looking for a shorter rod for topwater and maybe double duty as jerkbait. I am eyeing the Daiwa S S631MHFB 6'3" casting rod at the moment. Anybody got any experience or opinion on this rod? Fishing out of a Jon boat, walking the dog on 6'6" or longer rod is a chore half of the time, keep hitting the water and gunnel unless I got the perfect angle to get enough room to work the rod.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa S S631MHFB 6'3" for Topwater & Jerkbait?

Post by EJP1234 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 am

Yes, I use it a lot. I would say the MH rating is a bit extreme, more like a medium. I use it for poppers and such, but it cannot be around any cover, because if you get a fish with size around grass or good stickups the fish will own you.

I prefer the rod for roll casting spinnerbaits, it's perfect for that. It's got great action though for spooks, but just like I said, don't get around any cover because it just doesn't have the butt to get them out.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm

That's a shame. I look all over and it seems to be the ticket with the only MH rating rod in the market in this length. I guess I got the short end of the stick again. :lol: Thanks for the reply.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:01 am

Based on specifications, I would think the Diawa S perfect for what you want but i have not fished it. The one I fish that I highly recommend is the Steez 6'3 MH. Incredible Sammy 100, Pointer 100 and large PopR rod in and arround cover. You can find these used with lifetime warrenty for $200 and for this application they are killer. I think guys grow tired of the Steez 6'3MH because they bought it as a worm rod and it isn't ideal for that.

I was down in Guntersville last year on a PopR bite but the fish kept taking me down into Hydrilla with my 6'6M loomis rod. The small PopR was not something I'd tried in the Steez but it worked great and ended the hydrilla issue. Also have lost very few fish on this rig. It will cast them, hook them and land them. Don't think I can say much more :lol:

fishcoffin
Angler
Angler

Post by fishcoffin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm

I would say yes, I fished this rod 2 years and really like it for Jerkbaits, larger 3/8 pop baits and the smaller 1/2 or less walk the dog baits.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm

I have the rod and I personally think it's pretty good. I fish Vision 110's on it and the only draw back is that it's short and when it comes to line recovery on a sweep there's not much that it picks up but that's a given since it is a shorter rod.

IMO I wouldn't be throwing a trebled baits near cover anyhow as no matter what rod you use you will either rip the trebles out or get hung up on weeds or stick ups with the trebles. This whole soft rod with trebles and stiff rod with trebles baffles me still as its all so contradictory but whatever.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 am

At this point in time, I can't justify in getting a steez for topwater duty. The second opinion by legendaryyaj bought new hope to the original Daiwa S rod. My only concern is will it able to handle larger bait like gunfish 115 ( 5/8oz ) or the super spook that weight in at a good 7/8 oz without overloading the rod.

sktr22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sktr22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 am

find a Zillion in the 6'3" med...it will handle all of those.

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:14 pm

The rod is rated up to an ounce and is pretty beefy but it's so short I don't think I would toss a 1oz bait on it. I have a 704 Powell that is rated as Heavy and up to an ounce that I toss my 3/4 lipless on it handles it fine. IMO the TD-S feels just as powerful if not a little more than my 704.