DX703C vs Zillion 701MXB vs StCroix LEC70MF

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
FKA Incognito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

DX703C vs Zillion 701MXB vs StCroix LEC70MF

Post by FKA Incognito » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm looking for a quality, multipurpose 7' rod to fill in the power gap between my DX702C and my Zillion 701MHFB. Would be used for spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and some plastics and jigs. If anyone has two or more of the above-mentioned rods I would appreciate your comments and suggestions on how they compare. Although the lure rating is different on paper, I suspect these three rods are similar in power (but perhaps not identical in action). I'm leaning toward the LE if it's not too tip heavy and is truly comparable in power to the other two.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: DX703C vs Zillion 701MXB vs StCroix LEC70MF

Post by civicrr » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Surprised nobody has responded to this yet. Huge gap between the DX702C & the Zillion 701MHFB. You've probably seen posts about it already - the DX702C is about 1/2 power lighter than the other 2 power rods (DX742C, etc).

I have the DX703C. I had the Zillion 701MXB. I had the St Croix in the LTB series. All three work well with 5" senko weightless, jigs up to 3/8oz with trailer - finesse jigs, footballs, t-rig up to about 3/8oz plus plastic, swimjigs (Northern style), pitching dropshot. Pretty similar in power but the actions are very different. Of the three, the Zillion will have the fastest action &, if IIRC about the 'croix, the Dobyns will be the slowest. I'd say that the 'croix probably fishes like the most powerful rod of the three. IIRC the other two rods correctly, the Dobyns balances best. Noticeable but it isn't a huge difference in sticks this length.

Have you fished a rod with the ACS seat? Seems like you either love 'em or hate 'em. Back in the day, I had purchased a lot of the old brown Elites. I got a pretty good deal on the rods since it was a pro staff guy upgrading to the (then) new rods. I did the upgrade program & got the new rods after a season. The newest version had the ACS seat. I initially thought they were really nice. After fishing them a few full days, I decided I was in the hate 'em camp.......

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:23 pm

I agree 100% w/ civic about the ACS seats (I wanted to like them). I still covet my LE70mf brown blank Croix
as one of my all-time favorite all purpose sticks, I fish it along side my MBR843GLX and together they are a
dream team. I would suggest a DX703 if you seek continuity or perhaps another Zillion, I personally could not
find comfort in that reel seat either. I still prefer ECS seats above all others, good luck, Eric.

FKA Incognito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FKA Incognito » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Interesting. I bought my only two rods with ACS seats last season and did not get to use them much but I thought I liked them (with round reels at least; haven't tried low profile reels). So your comments are sowing a bit of doubt in my mind, especially if you think the LE is in the higher end of that power bracket (I agree it's a big power gap between 702C and Zillion MH but I have it covered partly with other shorter rods). I think it will be safer to stick with the Zillion or Dobyns then. DX 703C would be a good match for one of my spare TD Ito 103HL. Thanks guys. Now I can explain to my wife why a new $350 rod is a perfectly rational purchase. :big grin: