Recon PHX-C683ML

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Recon PHX-C683ML

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 am

Anyone fish this stick yet? Opinions? I was thinking about purchasing one for finesse techniques, but was wondering if it was under or over powered. Does it have a decent backbone and relatively fast tip? Thanks

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Re: Recon PHX-C683ML

Post by VAsmallies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 am

I've got mixed feelings about it. It's beautifully made, especially for the price. Balance and ergonomics are great. Really like the skinny handle/grip. Coupled with a smaller reel, the combo really disappears in your hand and screams finesse. The action is a little slower than I prefer for plastics and finesse jigs, but may work for others. Just recently changed from flouro to braid on it to try and compensate for that. Had a blast pitching an 1/8 oz shakey head to shoreline cover with it the other day. Kind of wish I had gone with the longer model 713 for increased casting and pitching distance. I think it will work well for smaller jerks, cranks, and topwater, but have yet to do much in that regard with it. Ultimately, I really like the rod, but have yet to figure out how best to utilize it. It can do a little bit of everything.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am

I've got the 713... I've been ripping with it a bunch. Great stick. I paired it with an aldebaran and LOVE IT...

This stick reminds me of a Megabass Jabberwock (F4-68x). Maybe a power less. I think it makes an excellent bottom contact finesse rod. I would def go braid to fluoro. Been doing that with nearly all my combos.

Please keep in mind that all the recons have a more parabolic action, like that of a JDM rod. It's different, but there are advantages!!!
robchik.com

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Would you say that the 715C has a more parabolic bend than your typical heavy power fast action rod? It's on my shopping list at TW.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I have the 6'8" L model. Its much slower then the "typical" fast action rod. Id call it moderate.

I use it for tiny 1/8 oz cranks and hair jigs. I feel the tip is too slow for finesse for my liking. The stick is super sensitive though, I could see how it could be used for small finesse techniques as well....

Id still recommend it over the other rods ive used in the price range....in a heart beat.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 am

Sounds like it might make a good light top water rod. Does not sound like what I'm looking for however. I prefer a faster tip for finesse. Thanks guys