E21 Carrot Stix PG, I bought one. And I love it.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

E21 Carrot Stix PG, I bought one. And I love it.

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 am

Not a new rod to the TT comunity but Gander Mtn had them on sale for $75 so I jumped on it. Half price is half price.
Bought a Medium Heavy 7ft Professional Grade (PG) rod and I think it is awesome.

I have never owned a baitcasting combo and I paired mine with a clearance Citica 200E. $155 total before tax for the combo.

I want to hear what people who DON'T hate these rods to weigh in, I have already read the negatives about them. They do occasionally blow up for no reason, and they do look kind of fugly.

I think it's fun, chance are the first big fish will give me an idea if it will last. The batch that gander mtn got in they said was good. They said they have had zero returns on the rods sold there.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

mnbassman23
Angler
Angler

Re: E21 Carrot Stix PG, I bought one. And I love it.

Post by mnbassman23 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I havent used the PG model so I cant comment on that specific series. The LTX series was not good for me, as you've already read. After having troubles with multiple LTX's they finally upgraded me to the newer micro series free of cost. I fished it hard all last year as a frog/punching rod and even used it for heavy jigs in thick cover. To be honest my intent was to try and break it because i had had enough of carrot stix lol. The rod never missed a beat and it pulled some nice fish out of some thick cover for me. I actually landed my PB largemouth on it last year. The rod is super light (like all carrot stix) and really sensitive. IMO they are nice rods, as long as they dont explode or have line guide issues. Hopefully yours will be bullet proof so you can enjoy.

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi,
I have used extensively the old carrot LTX 6'9 crankin rod. Action is spot on for shallow to medium CBs, and 1/4-3/8 Oz spinnerbaits. I love this rod, so light it's always a pleasure to fish, good caster, and very solid. I landed many nice fish on it (pikes and up to 5lb LMB) and it never betrayed me. Also the flex keeps the fish solidly pinned.

Let us know how your rod performs :)
enjoy !

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 pm

I have the Pro Grade 7'3 MH spinning rod. Overall, I'd say that it is quality stick. I don't consider exceptionally sensitive, but I really the length and the power. I would definitely be willing to try other e21 rods based on my experience.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm glad you guys responded, I had a little self doubt after buying it. I had heard some horror stories but hopefully it wont happen to be.

So far I am really enjoying it, I only fished it once but I did take it to the baseball field that is in the park a couple steps from my house. I practiced casting different sized lures from home plate and tried to make them land on the bases. By the end of practice today I could hit the bases at least half of the time. I am growing quite attached to my first baitcasting combo.
Dakota

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi,
Soon you will have many occasions to land nice fish on it :)

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:34 am

I had seen that same sale, and needed a new froggin rod, so I picked up the 7'6 H carrot. I know of the horror stories, but for $75 its a nice froggin stick that isn't tip heavy like most 7'6 H rods.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I like carrot stix rods...the original LTX models were/are great,the issues I heard about were specifically with lighter versions of the Carrot Gold Stix models...shame,because I personallly thought they were gorgeous,would have liked to see that series do better(awful sharp with a TD Sol)..although actually,I have a few of the gold stix as well in heavier actions,and never had a problem..even have one of the very first Duckett Classic models,kind of a vomitous orange shade,not pretty like the new micro series or the newer Duckett Classics on sale right now at TW(altho I have them too lol),and the original is one of the most awesome spinning rods I own-better than my cumaras,but not quite to St. Croix Legend Extreme status..even have one of the new micros,and its nice too...Only ones I dont have are the PG,and the Wild/Wild Black/Wild Green models..
Overall tho,I think E21 makes a darn good product,I just avoid anything below a MH personally...

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm

....and of course,another aspect of the E21 story,is the falling out with Boyd Duckett...after which he not only went to Laserlure and subsequently on to forming his own micro magic line,but he also publicly denounced and berated E21 as a company...hard to know what all really happened during the fallout,but the negative publicity brought about by Boyd didnt help them any..but for those who like to find things out for themselves instead of running with rumors and hype-carrot stix are good rods indeed..

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Rifle that was a great post. I am glad to see that you have had a good experience with E21. I don't think they have had any serious breakage issues other than the LTX series. Other companies have had similar problems, I have heard e21 didn't handle the situation very well though.

If you would like to try out a Carrot Stix PG I do think most Gander Mtn's have them half price right now. $75 is damn cheap for a quality rod. It is by far the nicest quality rod I own.
Dakota

flipperjig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flipperjig » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 am

I have an older LTX and 2 of the PG's that | picked up for 60 bucks each when Dicks was having their half off clearance sale. No issues with any of them. Love the parabolic action, really works to protect line and keep the fish hooked up.

If they weren't so ugly I would probably own a bunch more.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:34 pm

I picked up the 7'10 rated to 1oz rod for throwing poppers. I picked it up for 100 bucks at TW. Figured No one else makes that length and that kind of taper/ power. All in all its a nice stick. Pulled in a few 5-8lb NJ bss with it and now use it for a fairly universal rod. If there is such a thing. It doesn't compare in marathon casting comfort to My cumulus's or legend extremes and such. Due to the plastic nut for the reel seat diggin in to my hand. But its well balanced (no added weight in the but for the reel in use Viento with orange seals and smoothies)

The e21 rods that used those pac bay ss304 guides suck. And are noisey as hell when using braid. Noisier than recoils imho.

GOOCHY
Angler
Angler

Post by GOOCHY » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I bought a 6'6" MH at the Gander sale and fished it for the first time on Saturday. It performed great - we'll see how it does over the long term.