Which Rods to keep?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which Rods to keep?

Post by rangerjoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 am

The following is a list of all my casting rods. I need to get rid of some to make way for the new. Which rod would you keep? Is this a really dumb question.
Loomis:
2 each BCR803 GLX St. Croix:
1 each BCR804 Mosseyback (new) 1 each Avid 6'6" MF
1 each BCR854 Mosseyback 1 each Pro Glass 7'0" MM
2 each SBR752 1 each Pro Glass 6'6" MM
1 each BCFR895 GLX

Shimano: Powell:
1 each Crucial 7'0" HXF 1 each 706CB
1each Crucial 7'0" MHF 1 each 703CB Glass
1 each Crucial 6'10" MHXF

Fenwick:
1 each Techna AV 7'0" MHF
1 each Techna AV 6'6" MHF
1 each Techna AV 6'6" MF

I would like to get down to 10 rods, plus 1 new BCR853 (not purchased yet).

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Rods to keep?

Post by steve1206 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 am

I'm not a fan of 6'8" rods, but if you are, the 803 is very versatile...You could keep both. I personally have zero use for an 804....The 854 is a great plastics/jig rod. The BCFR (I assume its the 894) is a good stick if you are punching very heavy, other than that, It is too heavy for my tastes. The SBR 752 is anything but a SB rod IMO...But it amkes a good jerkbait and smaller topwater rod...Depends on how much you do those things on whether I'd keep 0, 1, or both. The 6'6"M avid kind of fits into that same category, with a little CB ability too...On those three rods, I guess it depends how heavy/light you like to fish....based on where you live/fish. I'll let others comment on the other rods.

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 am

Fishing the Upper Mississippi River, so the cover can be heavy. Pad fields, eel grass and a lot of wood. Yes, I am very fond of those 803.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

The 803 is the benchmark for contact baits and sensitivity IMO. Personally, I'd keep all the GLX rods you have and start building your 10 rod arsenal with top shelf rods over time culling the others as you go. If not in a rush, wait until ICAST and the New GLX line. If you like it, then start building there, if you don't, I'm sure you'll see the older line hit the "Sale" counter at big discounts. Assuming you like the Loomis line.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:14 am

There isn't a single rod on that list that should stay in your rod locker if you're Muskie fishing. Get rid of them all.

In all seriousness...its very difficult to recommend keeping/selling a bunch of rods without knowing what species and techniques and specific lures you need them for. i.e. No sense in keeping a crankbait rod if you don't fish cranks.

So, I guess I'm of the opinion you won't get the best answers without some information on your staple techniques.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 am

Fishing for largemouth and smallmouth Bass. Soft plastic senko, creature baits, t-rig tubes and small ring worms weight are 1/8oz and 3/16 nothing more.Jigs 5/16 or 3/8 not counting the trailer, 1/4 or 3/8 spinnerbait, crankbaits sq. bills, bandit 100 and 200 and 1/2oz lipless cranks. That covers about 95% of what I fish. Fishing deep water is around 5 foot.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:14 am

USA-RET wrote:The 803 is the benchmark for contact baits and sensitivity IMO. Personally, I'd keep all the GLX rods you have and start building your 10 rod arsenal with top shelf rods over time culling the others as you go. If not in a rush, wait until ICAST and the New GLX line. If you like it, then start building there, if you don't, I'm sure you'll see the older line hit the "Sale" counter at big discounts. Assuming you like the Loomis line.
I'll agree with this in some respects, although I like the 853 (going back to the 6'8" thing)..and the NRX truimps the GLX, but thats a money issue, etc...But yes, a 3-power extra fast Loomis a a great thing, IMO.

To add to what I mentioned earlier, and again, not knowing your exact preferences, I will say I hate glass. I personally much prefer something like a Loomis CBR 845 for those crankbait apps you mentioned.

Also just noticed that 610MHXF Crucial. That is a really good all around stick for the money and makes a relly good spinnerbait rod, IMO. That is actually the first baitcast rod my dad ever had (I thought enough of it to buy it for him). After losing him unexpectedly, I let my brother in law have it and it is now his favorite finesse jig stick.

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am

I was think of using the 6'10" Crucial for spinnerbaits, the 7'O" MHF Crucial for swim jigs and the 7'0" HXF Crucial for toad and frogs. I am think that the Fenwicks will have to go along with the St. Croixs.