Wal-mart steps up in rod market

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Wal-mart steps up in rod market

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 am

hello everyone, if your a frugal angler looking for a new mid grade stick, don't look past your local wal-mart. along with their 25$ rods my local wal-mart is now carrying some good sticks.. Skeets magill rods, kvd tour cranking rods, abu vendetta's, and falcon bucoo micro series. price wise they're around 15-25$ cheaper than Tacklewarehouse. So if your looking to improve your line up yet don't have the 350 for a loomis check out your local Wally World :D

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Wal-mart steps up in rod market

Post by Stasher1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 am

NJ Jigman wrote:hello everyone, if your a frugal angler looking for a new mid grade stick, don't look past your local wal-mart. along with their 25$ rods my local wal-mart is now carrying some good sticks.. Skeets magill rods, kvd tour cranking rods, abu vendetta's, and falcon bucoo micro series. price wise they're around 15-25$ cheaper than Tacklewarehouse. So if your looking to improve your line up yet don't have the 350 for a loomis check out your local Wally World :D
Your Walmart must price things differently than mine, because the rods at my local WM are priced the same as BPS. Their new reel additions (W&M Skeet Reese, Abu Orra spinning reels, Falcon spinning, etc) are priced the same as BPS as well.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Yeah I noticed the Walmart near me is now carring Yamamoto Senkos and their price is pretty good, just over $6 bucks.. they always had the Kinami Flash but now have the originals.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I also saw they were carrying some nicer rods and reels in my area as well. They've always had Abu baitcasters, but now have a better selection. I still will likely buy from Cabelas or TW, but at least they're trying to step their game up a little.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 pm

My local wal-mart has the nicer rods and stuff now. They also have some Trokar hooks now.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:16 pm

I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart for several reasons, one of which is their tackle selection. With BPS across the street from our local Wally World, I have a choice. I'd rather pay $5 more from someone with helpful associates than $5 less from someone with non-existant customer service.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 pm

You guys should also consider that while BPS and Online retailers have severely injured the local brick and mortar tackle store, a major corporation like Wally World can turn around and severely injure the stores you love to shop at now, all so you can save a buck on a bag of worms (nothing personal just an example).
You should also read up on WalMart's donations to anti-angling campaigner the Walton Family Fund along with the Ocean Conservancy. 36 million of your profit dollars went to a cause that hopes someday you can't fish anymore.
Just food for thought boys. Support your local stores, and your good E-tailers. Forget Walmart and Amazon.com
Set hard and set often

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart for several reasons, one of which is their tackle selection. With BPS across the street from our local Wally World, I have a choice. I'd rather pay $5 more from someone with helpful associates than $5 less from someone with non-existant customer service.
I agree with that but in my area the local Cabelas has some staff that probably know as much about fishing and the products as the people at walmart do, in fact it is pretty funny as I sometimes find myself answering other customers questions as the staff are totally clueless about fishing other than knowing you use a hook line and a sinker or bobber.
Barlow's Tackle

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:54 am

BucketHunter wrote:You guys should also consider that while BPS and Online retailers have severely injured the local brick and mortar tackle store, a major corporation like Wally World can turn around and severely injure the stores you love to shop at now, all so you can save a buck on a bag of worms (nothing personal just an example).
You should also read up on WalMart's donations to anti-angling campaigner the Walton Family Fund along with the Ocean Conservancy. 36 million of your profit dollars went to a cause that hopes someday you can't fish anymore.
Just food for thought boys. Support your local stores, and your good E-tailers. Forget Walmart and Amazon.com
X2. Walmart is a big reason why mom and pop stores are disappearing from the landscape of our country. I would rather pay more and support a responsible company.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 am

Just food for thought boys. Support your local stores, and your good E-tailers. Forget Walmart
X2. Walmart is a big reason why mom and pop stores are disappearing from the landscape of our country. I would rather pay more and support a responsible company.
X3. Wally world isn’t staying in business because of me either. Generally if I can’t get want I want at a local store I go straight to Cabela’s online. And I split time between 2 States that neither of which has a Cabela’s in the State. So when I order from Cabela’s they don’t charge sales tax since they don’t have a store in that State, then if I wait for the free shipping or their new gig of 1 penny shipping I can actually buy from Cabela’s with an additional 7% discount for not paying sales tax. And since Walmart buys in such large quantities and they’re notorious for DEMANDING certain concessions from their manufacturers/wholesalers/distributors I’m always a little suspect that they are getting special runs on say rods or reels that are not the same quality specs as the manufacturer ships to non-discount retailers like Cabela’s, Bass Pro and the mom and pop places.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:46 am

my local walmarts have upgraded their fishing departments too. the last time i was there, they even had luckycraft pointers. HOWEVER, all of their nicer new stuff seems to be priced at full retail. that being the case, i'd much rather buy from a board sponsor that also offers far better selection.

nsfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nsfisher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am

wnyBob wrote:
Just food for thought boys. Support your local stores, and your good E-tailers. Forget Walmart
X3. Wally world isn’t staying in business because of me either. Generally if I can’t get want I want at a local store I go straight to Cabela’s online. And I split time between 2 States that neither of which has a Cabela’s in the State. So when I order from Cabela’s they don’t charge sales tax since they don’t have a store in that State, then if I wait for the free shipping or their new gig of 1 penny shipping I can actually buy from Cabela’s with an additional 7% discount for not paying sales tax. And since Walmart buys in such large quantities and they’re notorious for DEMANDING certain concessions from their manufacturers/wholesalers/distributors I’m always a little suspect that they are getting special runs on say rods or reels that are not the same quality specs as the manufacturer ships to non-discount retailers like Cabela’s, Bass Pro and the mom and pop places.

x4....dont be cheap support your local economy.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:09 am

nsfisher wrote:
wnyBob wrote:

I used to have that misguided loyalty to the "Mom and Pops" until I found out I was be played for a sucker. I was paying top dollar, in cash, for tackle. The one time I used a credit card to buy two Daiwa TD X reels, I heard the whoa is me song about what it cost to use a credit card, so "friend" that I was, I paid 3%.
I overheard one of the owner's friends given an unsolicited discount on gear. Loyalty is a two way street.
Last edited by Johnny A on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am

I go where the prices lead me & Wal-mart isn't it all that often, as I've found their catchy price slogans to be a lie 90% of the time & they're usually the same price as everywhere else, which is when I go somewhere else.

I've noticed my Wally has upped it's rods & reels, although everything else has pretty much stayed the same & the prices aren't that great either. The only thing I've found that they've had that's been really good pricewise is Plano line spool box, which they have for $6 compared to around $10 from most other places.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Johnny A wrote:
nsfisher wrote:
wnyBob wrote:

I used to have that misguided loyalty to the "Mom and Pops" until I found out I was be played for a sucker. I was paying top dollar, in cash, for tackle. The one time I used a credit card to buy two Daiwa TD X reels, I heard the whoa is me song about what it cost to use a credit card, so "friend" that I was, I paid 3%.
I overheard one of the owner's friends given an unsolicited discount on gear. Loyalty is a two way street.
supporting local small businesses instead of padding some CEO's 401k. we are SO misguided.
loyalty IS a two way street.
Set hard and set often