BCR803 GLX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

BCR803 GLX

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi All,

I've read the TT review on this, but want to know if you use this for more than just jigs/worms? What reels do you put on this rod? It is promoted by GLoomis as a very versatile rod, so I want to know if I can get some additional apps out of it....

QNT

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BCR803 GLX

Post by DavidSA » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

I am a huge fan of this rod. I have never fished a rod any more sensitive.

However I would classify it as versitle only within the bottom bouncing applications. Texas rig, jig, C-rig, Shakey head, grub. I can see slow rolling a spinnerbait. I would throw a 3/8oz buzzbait on it in a pinch. That is it.

Now, withing bottom boucing it can handle light weights - I normally pitch a 3/16oz based T-Rig. 5/8oz no issue on the cast. Rod is stout enough to land fish in most any situation in Kentucky and most of what I fish in Florida. I go to a higher powered rod and heavy line only when throwing in the most nastey of Florida slop.

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm

They say that the 843/783 is the most well rounded rod, but I feel the sensitivity level of the 803 is on another pedestal. Its a rod that you will hold on to for a long time, just find reel that suits your needs, in general a 24-26 IPT.
tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15843

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 am

100% agree with both above posters. The 803GLX is not what I'd call a versatile rod unless the baits outside of it's category are fairly heavy. The tip is fairly stiff. But still a benchmark for bottom feel baits.

I've been transitioning over to mostly NRX rods and have 7 of them now, 4 of them 3 powered casting rods. They are as bottom contact senstive as the 803, but they add the versatility of an MBR. And they're lighter. So kind of the best of all worlds. But my 803's give up nothing in sensitivity for the bottom contact baits they are designed for. Still a great rod.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 am

jeb and davidsa,

what reels are you putting on your 803s?

v3n0m
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by v3n0m » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 am

I have a curado 201e7 on mine...it balances well and the colors match perfectly. The 7 speed curado's are great for bottom contact stuff.
~>V{e}N{o}M<~

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:10 am

quantum angler nt wrote:jeb and davidsa,

what reels are you putting on your 803s?
Yeah, sorry. I realized I forgot that part. Too much of a hurry to go fishing, I guess.

I've had a variety of reels on my 2 GLX 803's. Core 50 was a really good fit, but the Revo Premier and Curado 200E7 were also great. Revo SX, JM Gold and Steez 103 were not great. Their brakes didn't like some of the bigger c-rig setups when I'd have a lightish weight but big piece of plastic.

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am

Hi,
Exactly what they said !
The BCR 803GLX is not a versatile rod in general, but a great T-rig rod and excels for 1/4 and 3/8Oz jigs. I I have not tried a heavier jig on it but I feel 1/2Oz would be a little too much for its tip. I don't fish other types of baits on it as I feel my other rods are much better suited.
I have a Curado 201E7 on it, and it matches perfectly, it's comfortable and balanced to fish all day long.
Buy it you will not regret it !

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:37 pm

No reason to be worried about 1/2oz on the 803. It'll easily handle up to it's rated max of 5/8oz, and I've fished 3/4oz on it a fair amount. I did buy a BCR804 GLX to fish the 3/4oz rigs with, but it was not as sensitive as the 803. So I rarely used the 804, and eventually got rid of it.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I use old Chronarch MG50 on both my 803's; one with 14# FC and the other with 17#.

I have both E7's and Revo Premiers but feel the MG50 is the best choice because I am frequently pitching pretty light rigs.

I have thrown 3/4oz C-Rigs on the 803. During the cast it loads strange but otherwise shows no signs of issue. Under any normal circumstance though I keep it to 5/8oz or less.

Two weekends ago I found myself on an incredible bite with the NRX 803 and GLX 803. Literally catching on ever cast but the bite was very light. In terms of sensitivity, I could not detect any difference in information making it to my brain. In terms of hookset, the GLX has a better hook set on a long cast then the NRX version.

The 803 GLX models can be had in near new shape used for great price. I don't think a better value in rods exists at these prices and only reason not to have one is if you fish the big nasty stuff or just like long rods.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:36 am

Good point about the better hook sets with the 803, David. That is one advantage of the stiffer tip, no doubt. Especially if you have a lot of line out. We've been catching some hogs lately on 1/2 and 3/4 ounce FB jigs. And I really try to slam the hook home on them with my NRX's. But a fair number shake it loose when they come to the surface. I don't believe that would happen as much with the BCR803.

Here's a 7.5lber from Thursday. She was so fresh off the bed her tail was still oozing a little watery blood. She was eating everything in site apparently! We still put 45 bass in the boat, but missed a few pigs, too.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the input guys, I actually went ahead and bought one! I'll report back how I like it.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 am

You'll love it!

My jig fishing starts and ends with the 803GLX. Worms and flukes, all good.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 am

Hi all,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since the subject is BC803GLX and we already shared our thoughts, I'd like to comment on something about this rod which buggs me a little bit (but I've owned it for a few weeks only, fished it 5 days in total).
I use it with a curado 201E7 + 20lb braid to fish T-rigs and jigs. Love the accuracy of the casts, sensitivity and hooksetting power is great. (And it's so light and balanced !)

BUT I've found I feel it reaches its limit (powerwise) with "large" 3/8Oz jigs + trailers. I've used it yesterday with skinny bear broom jigs 3/8Oz + 5 inch craws (waveworm tiki crawdude just FYI) and when hoping the bait I had the impression that the tip of the rod was flexing too much (hence resulting in less power remaining to set the hook). These skinny bear jigs have huge skirt, creating a lot of water resistance and that might just be the reason for this feeling.
Anyway I've read everywhere that the BCR803 is perfect for 3/8Oz jigs and could handle 1/2Oz so I was suprised to feel like I had reached its upper limit.
Could it be just because my jigs are not "compact" enough and pull too much water ?
I admit that I have far less experience with jigs than T-rigs and previously had in mind that a jig rod should be extremely stiff, like the rod tip should almost not bend when hoping the bait. I was expecting my BC803 to behave like this with 3/8Oz jigs..but not at all. That's why I posted above that 1/2Oz jigs might be too much but other people think otherwise so it might just be a lack of experience and "jig background" from my side.

What do you jig experts think?
Thanks a lot

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 am

That 5" craw is adding a lot of weight to the rig. Could be it weighs 3/4oz total.

But any lure with a lot of water resistance is going to cause more tip flex. Like a deep diving crankbait compared to a medium diver. I wouldn't worry about the backbone of the 803, though. It'll be there when you need it.