Punching/Flipping Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Punching/Flipping Rod

Post by MTBF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey guys, I need some advice and suggestions on what to get for a 3/4oz-1.5oz rod for punching thick weeds and flipping heavy cover. I will use this rod for just the heavy stuff but I can't decide on anything...I've looked at the 7'6XH Duckett Micro Guide, the 7'8H Carrot Stix Micro Guide, and the 7'6H Black and Red Simax. All are powerful and wont cost a hell of a lot. But then I pick up the 7'5H GLX and it's strong like I need but twice the price and barely the power of the others and I'm loosing a little length too. Any suggestions? Up in Southern Ontario so we dont carry brands like kistler,phenix,dobyns, to name a few...but please suggest away. I'm looking for one of the best lightest rods in the 7'6-7'11 H-XH class. And I'm not afraid to buy the GLX, just don't see why i should over these lighter newer rods that hit the market.

Hope to get some help,

Mike
mtfishing IG

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Punching/Flipping Rod

Post by Somerdink » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Mike im in southern Ontario as well and I will be using a power tackle 7'11 punch stick its a new model Judy as coming out the rod is a mag-heavy with a moderate fast tip its a sweet stick. But the ones you mentioned the glx 7'11 is pretty sweet but the duckett 7'10 is a powerful stick as well find the most comfortable setup because you are punching a heavy weight.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 pm

I use the Zombie 7'10 flippin stick for that same thing. Its rated up to 2 oz and has a lot of backbone to it.

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Why not a daiwa flipping stick?? Its a pretty good rod for the money

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:36 pm

thukidad wrote:Why not a daiwa flipping stick?? Its a pretty good rod for the money
What do you have in mind? I have the Steez Frog rod on order that still hasn't come yet. Might try another
mtfishing IG

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 pm

If you can afford a Steez for a frog rod, you can afford get an 8' Steez Compile-x for a flipping rod.. :mrgreen:

Just my opinion, I would have saved the money on the frog rod and put it towards a good flipping stick..

But I was referring to the Daiwa Zillion Flipping rod 7'6" Heavy.. i used to punch with this rod in the CA Delta and I never felt underpowered.. a pretty good rod for the money IMO.. then again, ICAST is just around the corner too :?

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Phenix recon 796. Best punch rod I've used, ever. It's very well balanced and looks sick. It's also priced right, at 189$
robchik.com

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 pm

robchik04 wrote:Phenix recon 796. Best punch rod I've used, ever. It's very well balanced and looks sick. It's also priced right, at 189$
won't say it is the best punch rod ever but a GREAT rod, especially for the money.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:16 am

I use a Dobyns extreme DX795, and it is perfect for what you are planning to throw, imo. But if you want to get the most for your money TW's Powell punch is hard to beat. What reel will you be using?
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 am

MTBF wrote:Hey guys, I need some advice and suggestions on what to get for a 3/4oz-1.5oz rod for punching thick weeds and flipping heavy cover. I will use this rod for just the heavy stuff but I can't decide on anything...I've looked at the 7'6XH Duckett Micro Guide, the 7'8H Carrot Stix Micro Guide, and the 7'6H Black and Red Simax. All are powerful and wont cost a hell of a lot. But then I pick up the 7'5H GLX and it's strong like I need but twice the price and barely the power of the others and I'm loosing a little length too. Any suggestions? Up in Southern Ontario so we dont carry brands like kistler,phenix,dobyns, to name a few...but please suggest away. I'm looking for one of the best lightest rods in the 7'6-7'11 H-XH class. And I'm not afraid to buy the GLX, just don't see why i should over these lighter newer rods that hit the market.

Hope to get some help,

Mike
there are shops in southern ontario that carries dobyns and kistler.. PM me if you need the names and locations

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 am

I use a Dobyns Champion 766 for the real heavy cover. The rod is an absolute beast but is surprisingly light and well balanced. I currently have a Abu Revo Premier on it.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I really really like my Dobyns DX795 Flip. Great action for short line techniques. Very sensitive with a light enough tip to use light lures for flipping. Plenty of power in the rod to use for punching - easily pinning fish using the Paychecks Bait hook (previously know as the RI BMF).

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 pm

The Loomis BCFR 954 GLX is a very good flip/punch rod. It's served me very well in the thick stuff on Guntersville and elsewhere for many years. This summer, I'll be giving the new Megabass Black Jungle Super Red Demon a serious work out with some heavy stuff and expect great things... it's a couple bills more than the GLX, but it is a Megabass after all!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 pm

x2 on the Dobyns DX795.. thats what I'm currently using and is a great rod.. you'll know how powerful it is when you set the hook on a fish with 5 lbs on salad attached.. :mrgreen:

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 am

I would like to see that Steez 8' Flipping rod, it say's its a 2-pc rod tho. Not sure sure if I want that. The Zillion 7'6 sounds interesting too, I felt there 7'H and it was very nice. Back to G.Loomis tho, I am going to see one more time if I want the BCFR894 GLX for the technique. I am going to look into Dobyns rods a too I think.

Thanks for the advice guys
mtfishing IG