Opportunity to get St Croix Avid for $50

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Opportunity to get St Croix Avid for $50

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 03, 2012 6:45 pm

So I work t this tackle place, a big one acutally. There is a Saint Croix Avid 6'6" Medium, Fast baitcasting rod on clearance and I happen to know the price is going to drop like a stone on saturday.

I was going to buy it and then figure out what I need it for.
What is a 6'6" Fast Action Medium good for technique wise for bass fishing?
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

bumpnjerk
Angler
Angler

Re: Opportunity to get St Croix Avid for $50

Post by bumpnjerk » Thu May 03, 2012 7:29 pm

That is what I throw topwaters and jerk baits on.

RonH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RonH » Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

bumpnjerk wrote:That is what I throw topwaters and jerk baits on.
Agreed, and any treble hook lures.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Hehe, turns out I do need it seeing as my current jerk bait rod doesn't do crap for jerkbaits.
Dakota

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri May 04, 2012 5:35 am

That would make a good jerkbait rod but could also see duty with light jigs and texas rigs.
Barlow's Tackle

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:04 am

smalljaw wrote:That would make a good jerkbait rod but could also see duty with light jigs and texas rigs.
Exactly, as all the Croixs that I have fished in Medium-Fast seem to be on the heavier side of this rating, when compared to other manufacturers I have used.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri May 04, 2012 7:36 am

St. Croix Rod ratings are similar to that of Daiwa. They are more heavier then rated...in otherwords. I've had and used an Avid 7'0" MH F and it performs more like a Heavy Rod. Even my Legend Extreme at 7'0" MH F...is right on par with my IMX MBR844C - the action are almost identical with the Legend Extreme being just a tad bit softer at the tip.

The Avid 6'6" M F is perfect for Jerkbaits and what others have stated.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm

:-$

so is that when gander is dropping the hammer on a rod sale? The store in Spring, TX has a bunch of nice rods green tagged but not listed on sale.

The Avids are one of them.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 04, 2012 11:57 pm

taylor5877 wrote::-$

so is that when gander is dropping the hammer on a rod sale? The store in Spring, TX has a bunch of nice rods green tagged but not listed on sale.

The Avids are one of them.
Well not entirely. They have a 3 last gen/old/odd ball Saint Croix on sale and they are going to clearance the hell out out of the whole clerance rack just to move it. Lots of store brands, berkely, and Shimano rods are gonna get axed to make some room. Only the our store that I know of though.

Green tags do generally mean sale on, sale soon, our sale pending. Just stop in every other day and ask the staff.

Also I am torn between that and another rod. A 7ft 2 piece Ultra Light Avid, I am generally not a two piece fan but I plan on using it for sunfish and maybe small cranks for bass and small pike for fun. I think I might get the ultra light to replace my Lite rod which is 5'6" half graphite Ugly Stick of ugly shame. I don't know my 7ft Carrot Stix PG MH F is a good rod, I think it just need to use some heavier jerk baits with it. I love the way it slings heavy lipless cranks but it doesn't do much for distance on anything lighter than 3/8 ounce because of how stiff it is. The avid M is closer to a MH so I am having a hard time justifying it.
Dakota

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 05, 2012 12:03 am

Also after posting I was using a jerkbait on one of my spinning combos and really liked the way it was working in the water. Ultra light it is... maybe... I don't know. Whatever I come home with will be what I chose and I am not buying 2... maybe.
Dakota

pantera3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pantera3 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:09 am

Agree, this would be a great jerk bait rod. At $50 i would buy it even if i didn't need it.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Sale never happened. Kinda miffed.
Dakota

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sun May 06, 2012 4:38 pm

i always keep an eye out for sales at places like gander mountain, and other local shops. especially on st croixs, with their trade-up program if you can pick up a cheap version of one of their rods, you can get into the next series up for a great price.

i picked up a 6'8" mxf legend elite spinning rod, a 2010 pre-nsi, at a gander mountain last spring for $180, and loved it, but it broke on a hookset a couple months later, and i upgraded it to a legend extreme 6'9" mlxf and only had $230 invested in it, pretty good imo, legend extreme for the price of a legend tournament :D

i wish i would have had the foresight to pick up other rods at the time, as they had about 10 rods on the clearance rack that day, but i didnt think about the upgrade program at the time, i will not make that mistake again!