Powell heavy jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Powell heavy jig rod

Post by sly » Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 am

Hello,

Looking for Powell jig rod to pitch/skip jigs+trailers which are too heavy for my Loomis BCR803.
Talking 3/8 to 3/4 jigs + large trailers. I'd like the rod to double up as a frog rod in light cover, and if possible it should crank nicely hollow bellies and such small swimbaits.

I'm considering the following rods: Max 704C, Endurance 714C, Endurance 674C.
I guess 7' and above is better for line control and setting the hook on swimbaits, but 674 might be better for short distance pitching and skipping (I fish jigs exclusively in close quarters, from a float-tube).

I should add that weight and balance are very important for me as I have a chronic bad condition with my right forearm which makes too heavy setups painful to use. All my powells are 7' and below, and I've heard many times that above 7' they are quite tip heavy.

Any user of these rods ? what would you recommand ?

Many thanks :)

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Powell heavy jig rod

Post by robchik04 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:59 am

I havent used it, but i would get a Powell Endurance 694c. It's on sale at TW for 109.88. It's ratings are excellent for dock skipping and it's the right length. I like the Fast rating. It really allowed the jig to 'load' up and sling it under the docks. Fished it quite abit around docks at California's Clear Lake.

I've used the 714, thought that was a good one as well. I also used a 704c in the max and i liked that.

Another, and it took some getting used to was the 725... Loved the action on it.
robchik.com

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat May 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Out of the Powell rods that I have fishing experience with I would suggest the Max 735C. It lists on the blank that it is goos for all 3 things you listed that you want to fish on this rod, heavier jigs (on the blank it just says flipping but you get the idea, good for heavier lures), frogs, and swimbaits. I've fished paddle tails on it and it does great with those. My main purpose for this rod is frogs, that's what I throw on it 99% of the time but I think it would be exactly the rod you're after. It doesn't feel tip heavy to me at all but thats just MHO. I've got a Citica E 201 mounted on mine spooled with 50# Power Pro and it seems balanced to me, never even gave it a second thought.

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Sun May 06, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks guys.

I suspect that the 694C will not be fast enough ( it's fast, not extra fast).
Regarding the 735 your comments John make me want to try it (especially the 5 power must be outstanding for frogs) however I'd like to limit the length to 7'1 :?

Robchik04: which rod did you prefer between the 714 endurance and the 704 ? All my powells are from the MAX line, and I heard that Endurance rods are stiffer and ligther/more balanced. Did you find the 714 lighter than the 704 max ?

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Mon May 07, 2012 9:47 am

I use the Max 735 pitching jigs around heavy cover a lot, and like it. Very powerful rod, but tip loads great, not a pool cue at all. But it is longer than what you're looking for.

I use the Endurance 714 for most of my jig fishing and love it. That might what you're after based on what you described. Fast tip, and the Endurance series does run on the heavy side power-wise, so as a 4-power rod, it has a lot of swat.

As far as balance goes, I will concur with what others have said on TT, that at lengths over 7 feet, the Endurance series does balance better than the Max. If you have arm issues, that's a factor.

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 pm

Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for :)
Sounds like the Endurance 714 is the one for me !

Regarding its overall weight and balance, I guess it does not float in the hands (being a 7'1 heavy power rod) but can you still confortably pitch a whole day with it ? Also what reel are you using to balance it ?
My curado 201E7 balances nicely with the Powell 683CEF but might be a hair light to balance the 714 ?

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon May 07, 2012 4:40 pm

For a 3/4 oz. jig with a trailer, I would fish the 705 Max. Plenty of power, good length, balanced well with a reel in 7.5-8 oz. range.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon May 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Not currently fishing any Powell rods but I'm happy to see some suggestions for the 5 power rods. Powell rods I fished from back in the day, I would think you'd want to go 5 power for the larger jigs & froggin.