ICAST 2012 Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ICAST 2012 Rods

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 am

I will start this thread and give you this much information on Daiwa Rods. Others can chime in if they know any other information or of any other new rods by other manufacturers.

DAIWA: No new high end rods for this ICAST 2012 from Daiwa. All rods are well under $150. An old rod is comming back with a different look, graphite might have changed, more JDM looks, and some of you might still have one of these laying around. There is a new rod that falls into the $100 price point. A few other rods that are well below the $100. Most interesting rod is one that sports a finesse legend name from Daiwa but only in spinning. These are ultra light rods priced in under $50. Yeah, I was ecstatic when I saw the name of these rods but....was let down by the price. Overall, all the new rods sport more of a JDM finish. They are more reminiscint of Megabass rods and Evergreen rods just from what I have seen. How the look vs how they perform is of a different matter.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: ICAST 2012 Rods

Post by y2k88 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:An old rod is comming back with a different look, graphite might have changed, more JDM looks, and some of you might still have one of these laying around.
This?
http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=11804

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:11 pm

So the under $50 rod, is it the Presso?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:An old rod is comming back with a different look, graphite might have changed, more JDM looks, and some of you might still have one of these laying around.
This?
http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=11804
I don't think this is the same rod but the blanks material might be. This new rod is silver/white with yellow chrome highlights - from memory of what I can remember.
**What is fishing?**

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm

JWR075 wrote:So the under $50 rod, is it the Presso?
:-# :whistle: :big grin:
**What is fishing?**

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 am

Kind of disappointing to me, seeing as they just came out with rods recently around those same price points (Aird, Procyon, Ballistic etc.)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed May 30, 2012 3:02 am

tywithay wrote:Kind of disappointing to me, seeing as they just came out with rods recently around those same price points (Aird, Procyon, Ballistic etc.)
Agreed. I was hoping for a rod to fill in the $200 price point (Between the L&T and Zillion Rods) and one to separate the Zillion and Steez rods. Most of Daiwa's rods between the $100 and $200 mark are just as good or if not much better than the competitions. But that still leaves alot to be desired. The Zillion rods are the sweet spot for Daiwa rods and if it is not the Zillion Rods, then its the Steez rods. It baffles me why so many rods in almost the same dollar/price point. *shrugs*
**What is fishing?**

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:It baffles me why so many rods in almost the same dollar/price point. *shrugs*
My guess is that Steez rod sales in the U.S. have really taken a hit with all of the affordable lightweight rods available now.
Value pricing seems to be the name of the game these days and something "new" always sells better than the old models it seems like.
I have been a Daiwa fan for 20+ years but its getting hard to drop $500-700 on a rod now with comperable $170 options.
Hopefully a Corp as big as Daiwa can wow us with a great rod at a great price point this year.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed May 30, 2012 6:35 am

I will pay a larger price for a lighter rod. Although of course i would prefer paying a lower price for an equily lighter rod lol
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed May 30, 2012 10:13 am

I would love to see a new rod just under the Zillion. I bought some of the Ballistics and they are on my rack with the plastic still on them. Don't really care for them. I have mainly Steez and Zillions but would love to have a another good line of rods. I think I'm gonna sell my Ballistics and get the T rods which I like a little better. I need them for other people I take fishing. My daughter doesn't even like the Ballistic rods. Of course some say she is spoiled. :-$

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed May 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I have the Ballistic 6'9" MH rod and it is...what it is...a $100 rod. It is comparable to all other rods in its price range. However, I would give it a little edge over the competitors due to the nature of Daiwa's power mesh/Bias weave. You don't realize the power behind the rod until you have a good fish behind it or when the fish runs into thick weeds that is when the power mesh/bias weave really shines - Crisp and powerful. The Veritas and Compres I have used are good but does not provide that extra "ummph!" in power. I have never bought into Manufacturer's "selling points" but IMO, Daiwa knows how to make blanks. Just sad, Daiwa has better rods in Australia, Europe, and especially Japan. US....we get good rods but the less refined rods.
**What is fishing?**

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu May 31, 2012 9:35 am

Bucket,

I hope your right about the backbone. I have the 7'1", 7'2" and 7'3" and I will use two of them for fishing hollow belly swimbaits, some frogs and big topwater baits. The 7'2" I will use for fishing bigger cranks in shallow water I'm hoping it will shine with that technique. I want to sell them unused but think I should at least give them a try.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu May 31, 2012 8:44 pm

big_gee wrote:Bucket,

I hope your right about the backbone. I have the 7'1", 7'2" and 7'3" and I will use two of them for fishing hollow belly swimbaits, some frogs and big topwater baits. The 7'2" I will use for fishing bigger cranks in shallow water I'm hoping it will shine with that technique. I want to sell them unused but think I should at least give them a try.
All I can say is yes, give it a try. Never hurts to sell them afterwards. :big grin:
**What is fishing?**

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 am

Are these the ultralight rods you speak of? Says they're coming July 2012. If they come with SiC guides for $50, that's a sweet deal.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=11796

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:06 am

tywithay wrote:Are these the ultralight rods you speak of? Says they're coming July 2012. If they come with SiC guides for $50, that's a sweet deal.

http://daiwafishing.com.au/?p=11796
I don't think you will ever get a rod with SIC Guides for $50...even if it is a 5'0" ultra light rod. USDM always get watered down versions. May the lawd have mercy if I am wrong and I will crap my pants if such a rod retails for $50 from Daiwa....we are talking about Daiwa here aren't we?
**What is fishing?**