Swimbait rod for pike - musky or bass style rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Swimbait rod for pike - musky or bass style rod?

Post by SWH » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53 am

Hola

My current rod for spin-swim-topwater baits up to 5 oz is a 7'4 fast action. I am looking at either the Zillion 8'0 Swimbait rod (mod) or a LT musky 7'9 (mod-fast). I assume the musky one is still rather stiff.

My consideration is that with braid you do not need a broom stick to set the hook anymore and if so I could get the benefits of a rod that can load up with a nice bend and do some of the work.

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Swimbait rod for pike - musky or bass style rod?

Post by PittsBoy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:54 am

It really depends where you gonna fish. I you stay in the US a swimbait rod or even a H power bass rod will be enough. If you think about Canada or Northern Europe where pikes are much bigger a musky rod could be better.

It also depends on what bait you gonna use, you don't need the same rod for a spinnerbait or a big glider...
http://1world2fish.wordpress.com/

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:00 am

Fishing for northern in Denmark and suppose they weigh between 5 and 15 pounds with the occasional 20+. Rod is for plain simple retrieves of swimbaits mainly and perhaps spinnerbait and such too

ZRTJ
Angler
Angler

Post by ZRTJ » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Our European representative has been using a couple of the Zombie rods for Pike. I'd go with the 7'3" for pike, and don't worry, it will cast much larger baits than it's rated for. I think the TT staff even tried big Huddleston swimbaits with that rod. Here's a video of catching some pike on a Zombie rod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZVTRycoyU
Justin Fearn
"The Head Zombie"